Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

How to combine a few midis into one?

What the topic says. I don't know anything about midi editing so explain in simple terms please. :)

it's not always trivial. One way would be to open a new midi, create a track for each instrument present in both of the files you wish to combine (taking note of gain modifiers, which you could account for via volume control signals at the transition, or by making 2 separate tracks of the same instrument with different volume), there might be a global limit on the number of tracks you can have (16, or 32 maybe? I don't know). Then simply copy/paste and shift things around as you please. You would need to make sure all the control messages (pitch bends, modulation, volume, etc) get transferred as well (depends on the program you use, I imagine), otherwise you might have to re-draw them in. What program are you trying to do this in?

Argh, sounds complicated...
I have some program called Anvil Studio but I never used it for any serious editing, only changed some instrument in some midi once.

I also just found this post in Google and it sounds very promising:

There are a couple of midi programs I use,...one is called 'anvil studio' (free) and the other is called quartz audio master (also free) Good programs, and both can combine midi and .wav files

but maybe I don't understand that sentence correctly and it is actually about mixing WAVs with MIDIs or something like that. Will look into it tomorrow.

midi and audio are completely different beasts, so it's unlikely that post was talking about mixing them, unless it meant recording midi playback as sampled audio and then mixing it with .wav... but that would be an unusual task.

It's not difficult to manually merge midi, there's just a lot of nuances that you should make sure get handled correctly (the aforementioned control messages, patch changes, tempo/volume changes, etc). there might be a program out there that handles it nicely automatically, maybe some of the other local midi gurus would know, but if this is a one-off I could probably combine em for you if you wish.

What are you trying to do? Put two MIDIs back-to-back (doable, with only a little elbow work and a decent amount of MIDI controller know-how to properly change patches/volume/pan/pitch bends)? Or have two MIDIs play simultaneously (not really worthwhile, since MIDIs have a limit of 15 melodic tracks and 1 drum track (the standard also only specifies that a minimum of 24 notes could be played simultaneously across all 16 tracks, but since that's a minimum and I can't say as I've ever run into it...), which many MIDIs use the majority of, so having two play at once would mean you'd run over that limit really fast)?

It might be worth noting that you could have more luck just posting the two midis and asking for volunteers to do it for you. We've got a lot of talented people here.

I have a few midis that are too short for a medium-sized level but I'm not sure which ones I want to combine yet. I'll need to test various combinations to find out so I should do it by myself.

Shadow Hog said:

What are you trying to do? Put two MIDIs back-to-back?

Yeah, this.