Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
betabox

Doom Mania II

Who has the shovelware add-on Doom Mania II?

I just recently found it among my stuff, I'm surprised I still have it.

I managed to transfer the contents onto an older PC, but Microsoft Security Essentials fired off when I did. I'm wondering if these are just false positives or are the makers of that add-on really that evil (Greyghost, I'm sort of inclining towards you on this :P And what's with all my malware encounters recently).

It sucks the way these CD's are organized sometimes. I just received Deathday in the mail today, and was surprised to find that every single wad is stored in it's own folder. Such a nuisance.

i just got a copy of doom 2 mania and doom mania, i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "
did you get the same thing?

40oz said:

It sucks the way these CD's are organized sometimes. I just received Deathday in the mail today, and was surprised to find that every single wad is stored in it's own folder. Such a nuisance.

Find *.wad?

buttspit said:

And what's with all my malware encounters recently.

You're just cursed with having a functioning virus checker. ;-)

zredgemz said:

i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "

There's a little utility called netcheat.exe which tends to fall foul of virus checkers, ESET Smart Security thinks it's the Taipan.666 virus. Don't know that it's a virus as such, but to the best of my recollection it is malware, a "cheat utility" that disrupts LAN-based Doom games.

According to Game Bytes Magazine in their review of Doom 2, "DOOM was the largest reason for loss of productivity on networked machines in the United States." and netcheat.exe was probably released in an attempt to make the office network a deathmatch-free zone.

zredgemz said:

i just got a copy of doom 2 mania and doom mania, i copied the files to my harddrive and MSE showed me this:" virus:DOS/TaiPan_666.b "
did you get the same thing?

Yep, exactly that. I read around last year about that. So they say the virus doesn't really cause much damage (DOS, for what it was intended).

Speaking of that, Greyghost, I've seen many cases where memory cheat tools are detected as malware. But at the same time, I read that talpain_666 changed many files to include some text string at the start. I'm sure this only worked back in the day, so to speak.