Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Badboy

Doom 64 Video Review

Happy Video Game Nerd has released a new video review of Doom 64 (doomwiki), a Doom inspired game by Midway in 1997 for Nintendo 64. Take a sip of a glass of red wine like HVGN and watch it on gametrailers. We have a new forum topic about Doom 64 as well.

DoomCollector said:

HVGN is an idiot. Way too enthusiastic.

He's an idiot for being way too enthusiastic, even though he's known as the Happy Video Game Nerd? That's the whole point of his gimmick. He's billed as the happiest gamer. You could have just as easily said that you don't dig the show because there's way too much enthusiasm. I've never heard of someone being an idiot for being very enthusiastic.

schwerpunk said:

AVGN is an idiot. Way too cynical.

In other news, I enjoyed the 'review.'

I stopped watching AVGN when he started acting poorly in his videos and forcing anger (as opposed to being more natural), as well as all his shit jokes.

On-topic, I only heard of HVGN from mogul's post. At least he gets the good points across, but it would have been just as effective without the happy shtick.

>I stopped watching AVGN when he started acting poorly in his videos and forcing anger (as opposed to being more natural), as well as all his shit jokes.

so true. but i think he "acted" from the start. i mean its a role like a comic character, and he perfected it. yes its over the top. still his game analysis are good, his video editing is superb. he hits the point, most old games were horrible to play :) i know that coming from c64 and amiga.

My only issue with the HVGN is that much of what he reviews never came out in Europe (PE1, D2, Earthbound, etc).

Badboy said:

>I stopped watching AVGN when he started acting poorly in his videos and forcing anger (as opposed to being more natural), as well as all his shit jokes.

so true. but i think he "acted" from the start. i mean its a role like a comic character, and he perfected it. yes its over the top. still his game analysis are good, his video editing is superb. he hits the point, most old games were horrible to play :) i know that coming from c64 and amiga.

He did act from the start, but did it so much better then.

AVGN was the shit back in my middle school. The 2007 & 2008 videos were great, but after that things started going downhill. His acting began feeling forced and it was pretty clear that he was running out of good ideas for new episodes. Also he thought it was a good idea to constantly put this one new actor in annoying guest roles.

I actually like AVGN. I've watched every episode countless times, and there's always those confused WTF moments he does. THe R.O.B episode was really cool, and I loved the FX. He's working on the AVGN move too. Obviously this is my opinion, but he seems to be very dedicated to his filming hobby.

The guy was a bit boring, but decent enough. He made the same kind of points any of us might have made. He seemed to be well informed. I like that he made it a point to discuss Aubrey Hodges more than once. I think a bit more humor would have been nice, but the review didn't drag much.

buttspit said:

He's an idiot for being way too enthusiastic, even though he's known as the Happy Video Game Nerd? That's the whole point of his gimmick. He's billed as the happiest gamer. You could have just as easily said that you don't dig the show because there's way too much enthusiasm. I've never heard of someone being an idiot for being very enthusiastic.

I think HVGN, in this review anyways, gives out way too much praise and it's just not very called for. He makes Doom 64 sound like the best game of all time in the first two minutes.

As an amateur game critic I just can't respect people that praise games more than they deserve. AVGN rages on games and can make even good games sound shitty but he always finds legit points to criticize.

If I was HVGN and trying to do something opposite to AVGN I would try finding the very exact part of a game that makes it great and be overly appreciative and super enthusiastic about that. Such as the shotgun animation in Doom, momentum in Super Mario Bros, the one-click controls of Diablo or the Gravity Gun of Half-Life 2. Details that really carry the games.

Instead HVGN just feels like a tastless ass-kisser that applauds everything. I haven't seen very many reviews he's done though.

I already posted this in the other Doom 64 thread. You know, the one still on the first page.

DoomCollector said:

I think HVGN, in this review anyways, gives out way too much praise and it's just not very called for. He makes Doom 64 sound like the best game of all time in the first two minutes.

As an amateur game critic I just can't respect people that praise games more than they deserve. AVGN rages on games and can make even good games sound shitty but he always finds legit points to criticize.

If I was HVGN and trying to do something opposite to AVGN I would try finding the very exact part of a game that makes it great and be overly appreciative and super enthusiastic about that. Such as the shotgun animation in Doom, momentum in Super Mario Bros, the one-click controls of Diablo or the Gravity Gun of Half-Life 2. Details that really carry the games.

Instead HVGN just feels like a tastless ass-kisser that applauds everything. I haven't seen very many reviews he's done though.

Whether or not a game deserves so much praise is really up to the person. But yeah, I know he's making it a public review that people will watch, but that's where his theme comes in.

I could be spending the next few minutes to provide examples of how you're wrong about AVGN always finding legit points to criticize, as well as how much he's become a hack, but I'll refrain. I will point out that tasteless easily fits AVGN when it comes to his "humor" these days; and like HVGN's ass-kissing, Rolfe's cynicism ruins his credibility.

(bump)

buttspit said:

Rolfe's cynicism ruins his credibility.

What credibility? Rolfe himself has said countless of times that AVGN is not meant to be taken seriously and the episodes are made for entertainment purposes alone. I suppose the show could be mistaken for a try at legit criticism, but that really isn't its purpose. So whatever credibility you might be expecting out of him you shouldn't be expecting in the first place.

schwerpunk said:

AVGN is an idiot. Way too cynical.

In other news, I enjoyed the 'review.'

AVGN is just a show. Acting. I also noticed his wedding ring disappear pretty quick.

To be clear: I really like AVGN. That post was a parody of DoomCollector's comment "[HVGN's] an idiot for being way too enthusiastic." I was applying the same hyperbole to another reviewer for comedic effect and to show how little sense DoomCollector's criticism made.

No one talking about the Annoyed Gamer or the Irate Gamer?

Anyway, while HVGN drinks wine and talks about horrific things, he has a coherent review.

These internet video commentator guys may be a bit too good at what they're doing when people seem way more interested in discussing the personalities themselves rather than the content they're talking about, wether that be HVGN, AVGN, or TotalBiscuit.

schwerpunk said:

To be clear: I really like AVGN. That post was a parody of buttspit's comment "[HVGN's] an idiot for being way too enthusiastic." I was applying the same hyperbole to another reviewer for comedic effect and to show how little sense buttspit's criticism made.

Somehow you missed out on the fact that I was paraphrasing Doomcollector's post. Had you actually read my post properly, you'd know that I wasn't making a criticism but questioning his remark, so it's his criticism, not mine.

@Jodwin: Try telling that to the majority of his current fans. You probably already know that, though. However, I really felt the need to point that out over here when I read "he always finds legit points to criticize". But I think ruin is not the most appropriate term in this case.

@GeckoYamori its the internet :(
someone is writing a brilliant article and 20 people talk about a spelling error in the text. its all explained here haha http://www.cracked.com/article_17522_6-new-personality-disorders-caused-by-internet.html

actually for me it doesnt matter what ecxactly he said in the 64 review. its great that he did it, because the game deserved it. and if someone doesnt like avgn and explained why, its cool.

buttspit said:

Somehow you missed out on the fact that I was paraphrasing Doomcollector's post. Had you actually read my post properly, you'd know that I wasn't making a criticism but questioning his remark.

Oops. My mistake. I was skimming.

Yeah, just replace where I said buttspit with DoomCollector.

schwerpunk said:

Oops. My mistake. I was skimming.

Yeah, just replace where I said buttspit with DoomCollector.

I skim too. I've found the best way to know about a thread is to see what the first responder says.

I still like AVGN. He's always been good, imo.

This HVGN is a phoney. An honest person wouldn't need to drink wine to be happy. I also call out his manhood whenever I see him having a glass while reviewing games like this and Splatterhouse, and it proves to be good madbait for his fans.

Honestly, I have to respect someone who actually bothers to produce something, even if it isn't my cup of tea. It's so much easier on this side of the keyboard: we can just criticize someone else's efforts without having to produce something ourselves. We don't even have to present constructive criticism. Hell, I'm guilty of it.

Also, I don't know what madbait is, but it sounds like trolling. Which is lame.

I can respect that somebody made something, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to criticize it. Really, if you put something out there for public consumption, you're also implicitly opening it up to the inevitable broad spectrum of opinions you get back. That's just kind of an inherent risk that comes with creating something. It's nerve-wracking, admittedly, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. Best you can do is hope the person doing the criticizing is producing valuable feedback that you can use to make whatever it is you're doing better, and isn't just some guy screaming about how much what you made sucks (or telling you that you suck, as is often the case) without going into specifics.

(although I actually haven't watched the video and thus have no opinion on the HVGN :V)

Yeah, I differentiate between empty criticism (ex: "vid sux") and constructive critiques (ex: "vid sux cuz too low rez").

I prefer Yahtzee's approach to reviewing games over everyone else's. Five minutes of no-bullshit opinions, with enough explanation without it becoming a tl;dw affair.

I wish he'd cover more classic titles.