Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

Double Tap to Long-Jump? [in source ports that support jumping]

Half-Life on the Dreamcast had a feature where you could double tab forward and jump, and that would allow you to jump further than normal to cross large gaps.

Then on the original Unreal you could double tap your strafe buttons to jump left or right.

Are there any DOOM source ports that allow for this feature?

Jump?

jump (jmp)
v. jumped, jumpĀ·ing, jumps
v.intr.
To spring off the ground or other base by a muscular effort of the legs and feet.

Huh.

In ZDoom, you can use doublebind so that double-tap will perform a different action from a single tap. For jumping left or right, you could make an alias with both "jump" and "move right/left", and then doublebind that alias.

However, there are no "jump farther than normal" command. Learn to use strafe-running in conjunction with jumping if that's what you want.

Breeder said:

Then on the original Unreal you could double tap your strafe buttons to jump left or right.

Heh, I always ended up double tapping by accident and getting myself into trouble as a result.

That's why I want this feature...

...so if by chance you and I ever death match, I'll have a higher chance of winning because you double tapped by mistake. ;)

Doomsday also allows one to bind different actions to "doubleclicks", for example:

bindevent "game:sym-control-doubleclick-positive-walk" "impulse use %p"
As others have noted, however, the only way to increase the distance one can jump is by actually moving faster, be it by strafe running or other method.

Enjay said:

Heh, I always ended up double tapping by accident and getting myself into trouble as a result.

Happens to me a lot and I play Unreal just about every day. Walking along a thin plank and whoopsie-doodles, I just fell into lava.

Breeder said:

That's why I want this feature...

...so if by chance you and I ever death match, I'll have a higher chance of winning because you double tapped by mistake. ;)

LOL. Good reply. :)