Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theJF

newbie map - cebrenia.wad

Hello Doomworld!

Another newbie mapper here would appreciate any comments/suggestions you have about this wad.

It's for doom2 and the slots used are map01 and map02.

I mainly use zdoom but it has been slightly tested with choc and prboom+.

Here's the wad:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17137

And here are some screenies:

http://i.imgur.com/JRplBcj.png
http://i.imgur.com/4BqFIfh.png
http://i.imgur.com/StFXwnK.png
http://i.imgur.com/GI87tW3.png

UPDATE: Thanks for the comments everyone. URL changed to final version; I wasn't expecting this thread to re-appear and forgot about it.

Man, are you actually newbie? These maps don't just look visually awesome, they're also very well balanced and totally fair! I played in Zandronum, but I believe the maps are vanilla compatible. I died once, which was due to my inattention and I let revenant punched me. And no slaughter-style gameplay (at least not the extreme)! I would nominate you for the Breakthrough Of The Year :)

I think your maps look nice but are a bit boring to play. For the most part you're just fighting small groups of weak monsters: hardly a fun activity for a modern skill player. Sometimes you get stronger enemies or bigger numbers of weak ones, but they are usually placed conveniently for the player and can be taken down rather easily (and tediously). The second level is better in this aspect, as it has some good moments (teleporting monsters in the "shooting gallerry", the trap with spiders, etc... jumping on the crates was fun too btw) but there are a lot of filler fights too. Try to create more interesting and unusual situations, make the player think, make him move a lot, surprise him... But don't make him fight single demons or small groups of imps/zombies all the time. :)

Mother of God. These shots are outstanding. I'll hopefully get a demo up for you on this.

Thanks for the comments.

Those pics might be a bit misleading: I took about 20 screenshots and then thought they all looked crap except for those 4...

I am not too good a player - playing the first few Back to Saturn X maps on HMP I have to save often to make any kind of progress. Half the time I still got killed on my own map on UV...

Cheers @Memfis - I will think about what you said.

is that... a new mapper? that already uploads images to imgur and not imageshack or photobucket??!?!?!?!?!

you are destined for great things, theJF

Very solid, spacious maps. If these are intended to be part of a larger pack, the difficulty is perfect as-is, save the monsters-behind-you boobie traps for later on in the set. One area I thought it would happen and it didnt, was the 3 teleporters with imps coming out. If these are standalone, they are a tad easy, although on map02 I got lost a few times, and totaled 20 minutes on that map. Felt much like playing the later Doom 2 stages for the first time.

Fun stuff here definitely, just a little plain. I really liked map02, and map01 is a quick breeze, which is just fine for an intro to a set.

Don't forget to unpeg the outer linedefs on your windows, it will make the textures look much nicer. Also, since most people have jumping turned on by default, I'd recconmend moving that Megasphere further from the edge - I can just hop near it and grab it.

Looking forward to more of your stuff! As the others have said, there's a lot of promise here. And yeah don't be an idiot like me and use imageshack. And finally, some new music and sky textures would be welcomed.

Keep it up!

Pretty good, especially for a first effort. My main complaint would just be that the maps feel too empty - there's many parts that are large, spacious rooms with nothing (no items, no monsters) in them. This effect can be used well (for example, the empty first level in Aliens Doom creating tension, or maybe in later levels as breathers inbetween giant battles), but here it just makes the maps feel boring and unfilled. Even when the monsters do show up, there's not that much going on... nothing challenging, even on UV, and there's a ton of powerups (though ammo seemed a bit low).

But yeah, I definitely liked some of the detailing quirks, there's promise here.

Had a play through. Enjoyed the layouts and general design. Too little ammo in the latter half of map 02 though.

Generally good stuff. Keep it up. :)