Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMAD

Doom Voxel Project

As it's been just over a year since the last update, I figured I probably shouldn't bump the olde thread, seeing as technically it's in the wrong forum anyway.

After a long break without any updates, we now have a new Chaingun pickup with all 6 barrels (unlike my crappy version), courtesy of Conrad RDW. Please pardon the slightly wonky aspect ratio, it looks even better in game:

Pack downloadable from the usual link. I've removed the olde beta zdoom.exe since voxel support has long since been merged into the main dev trunk.

amazing stuff. I'm guessing monster sprites would be tricky to do

this is one of my favorite projects right now. I hope you keep it up. It looks like a lot of fun to work on.

This is definitely the kind of thing I could see integrated into ZDoom proper as a toggle-able option once it's completed.

I really hope it is completed, because the voxelizations are pretty much perfect.

BlueFireZ88 said:

This mod definitely needs to be finished. I would love to see every sprite as a voxel.

You could see most of the sprites as a model before..... This pack was released as a beta long ago with only a few items left.

DUDE!!! This is soo effin tight! Now if only some brave soul could make the monsters into voxels.

i notice when you fire rockets, the rockets arnt facing the direction their firing. Is that a glitch or is it just me?

I gotta give props to all those who contributed to this project because you guys did a fukin fantastic job!!

Very nice. I noticed, however, that the box of shells doesn't look to great in voxel-form. I'd suggest straying from the original sprites and making it shorter and more realistic. I also noticed that the chainsaw and chaingun don't spin like the other weapons, just as a heads-up.

I remember in the 90s saying that voxels heralded the end of polygonal graphics. I may have been wrong, but I share you ardour for volumetric pixels.

Done faithfully, I could see myself playing voxelized Doom every time I launch ZDoom.

The Chaingun looks great! I still haven't tried playing with these in ZDoom yet, what is wrong with me.

Do you have a list of things still left to do? Well I suppose one would just look at the pack and figure it out that way :P. I haven't attempted to make voxels yet, but it does interest me and will be useful to me for future projects.

Alwaysdoomed said:
[...]
i notice when you fire rockets, the rockets arnt facing the direction their firing. Is that a glitch or is it just me?
[...]

This is due to an intended change in newer GZDoom builds. They corrected some alignments. The missile projectile actually had to be added with incorrect alignment due to that. See my own bug report and the original info.

In order to fix it manually, you would have to extract the VOXELDEF file from the WAD and change (or even add, if it's not there) the "misla" definition so it looks like this:

misla = "misla"
{
   angleoffset = 270
}
Then save and put it back into the WAD. Fixed! If you can't get it done by yourself, I can upload a fixed version here. I prefer to use this pack as a zipfile/PK3 so I can apply such changes on the fly, btw. :)

Conrad RDW has posted up an updated version of the voxel project including his cleverly implemented voxel torches (technically hybrids, since there's some sprites involved too).

The test map has been renamed, so as not to overwrite the starting level and it's now in zip format for easier editing and tinkering (so don't unpack it expecting to find a single wad inside):

http://rghost.ru/46010109

I'll probably replace the current version on the site with this one shortly.

Untamed64 said:
What [/B]

Maybe remove "AngleOffset = 270" from sw0XX inside voxeldef.txt ?

jval said:

Maybe remove "AngleOffset = 270" from sw0XX inside voxeldef.txt ?

There is no AngleOffset = 270 in the voxeldef.txt

This is looking really nice.

Guess some object 'may' look a little odd from certain angles, but the pros are much much greater.

Keep it up.

Wow, I'm honestly impressed by this. It gives a three dimensional look to objects while 100% retaining the classic look. Great job.