Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EvilNed01

Regarding the Flashligt...

Am I the only one who thinks that adding the flashlight to the "suit" in the BFG edition was a bad idea?

Much of Doom 3 was designed around darkness and that the flashlight couldn't be held at the same time as, say, a plasma rifle?

The BFG edition, while great, loses much of it's creepiness and also paic, when I can suddenly see all of my enemies. I never once have to stagger in darkness. There's even a point, early on in Doom 3, where a scientist offers to light up my way... And all I'm thinking is: "Why? I have a super flashlight now".

Meh, just some minor gripes.

Frankly? It didn't ruin the game for me and that comes from someone who bitched and moaned and complained about the decision before release.

Uuuh, why are people suddenly changing their minds? Before the BFG edition, most people hated the fact that they had to switch between the flashlight and weapons. Make up your damn mind!

Heh. I always thought it was cool to have the flashlight as one of the weapons. Maybe they should have kept the original, but have the new flashlight as an option.

Is the new flashlight also in the Hell levels, though I didn't like that there were no flashlights in Hell. In my most recent playthrough, I decided to use the console to give it to me, just so that I could take a better look at all the dark corners, etc.

DooM_RO said:

Uuuh, why are people suddenly changing their minds? Before the BFG edition, most people hated the fact that they had to switch between the flashlight and weapons. Make up your damn mind!

I never hated it. And yes, as I recall, the flash light is available in the Hell levels.

In D3 there was no flashlight in Hell, because at the start of it you have no weapons (unlike RoE where you keep your gear). Because in BFG it's mounted on armour, you can use it.

On a side note, original D3 only had classic weaponry in Hell. BFG adds new weapons in that level.

Touchdown said:

Because in BFG it's mounted on armour, you can use it.

I think the question this leads to is: "Why doesn't Doomguy arrive in hell butt naked?"

DoomUK said:

I think the question this leads to is: "Why doesn't Doomguy arrive in hell butt naked?"

Because whoever said "you can't take it with you" was only being partially truthful?

DoomUK said:

Bcuz no1 can handle hot sxy doom gie

I was accustomed to switching from light to weapon in D3, got used to it quick. I find the "user friendly" light in BFG isn't really better or worse, just different. Of course, I'm fairly easy to please as I am extremely old, I predate Pong. Like a Redwood, or the Rockies.

{Touchdown said}
there was no flashlight in Hell

I need this on a t shirt.

THERE WAS NO FLESHLIGHT IN HELL

I haven't bought BFG Edition, and not going to, so I cannot compare it, but in Doom 3 I kinda liked the fact you need to think when to turn on the flashlight and when to shoot in the darkness. It added to the atmosphere and made the game harder, which Doom 3 really needed. Why make it easier again?

One of the remarkable moments of Doom 3 for me is when in the research complex (I can't remember which level) you must follow the transport box with a captured imp, which transports him through pure darkness. Although it travels quite slowly, you can't keep up with it, since you want to explore the environment and also the enemies distract you. So you have to fight several imps at once in total darkness, which was quite a gripping, yet enjoyable fight. Permanent flashlight would ruin the suspense, fun and the atmosphere too. So here I'm with EvilNed01 - I like how you had to choose between clear sight and firepower, the creepiness connected with that etc.

DooM_RO said:

Supposing 70% of players wanted a mounted flashlight and 30% didn't, it's not surprising that those who liked the new feature will stop complaining and the other 30% will start to complain.

I hated having to switch between having to shoot and to see something.
In other words, I like how it is now.

PS: well... I just replied to a months old post; =P