Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Computer area map in an episode run?

imo there's no reason NOT to use HUD these days, unless you're recording on an old wad that has old demos recorded on it already.

I'd honestly be surprised if the HUD-haters have even tried using the HUD in a comparative way with no-HUD, because I've compared both on av26 and 29 and there was no difference. I think it depends on the map, but labelling the HUD as an automatic TAS feature is way too extreme imo.

btw I didn't use iddt on my pe demo.

It makes a huge difference in -respawn demos, and I'm not a HUD hater (yes, I know that was a generalization and not directed at me), don't even consider it TAS (well, not in the way I normally think of TAS. It certainty shouldn't be labeled as TAS), but I do think it should be explicitly stated.

Archy said:

It makes a huge difference in -respawn demos, and I'm not a HUD hater (yes, I know that was a generalization and not directed at me), don't even consider it TAS (well, not in the way I normally think of TAS. It certainty shouldn't be labeled as TAS), but I do think it should be explicitly stated.

I'm not too sure if it makes much of an advantage for me in -respawn demos as I have to judge when I exit and most of the time I get below 100% or stupidly over 100% but I do understand what you mean.

switching smart totals off may help enourmously to know when u killed "100%" of enemies. In respawn this makes a great difference indeed yea, more than other categories probably.

Which is why it's barely played at all lately, besides factors like respawn just being max with silly luck factor involved (without HUD).

Luck is involved in all categories (except -nomonsters), it just happens to be more involved in -respawn than any other category. The luck factor will not make up for the skill factor at all, and part of the skill is dealing with the luck factor and making appropriate decisions based on what how many monsters are believed to be dead, and the more one plays -respawn, the more that individual will learn to accurately calculate when it's time to exit.

Most -respawn entries are crap though and can easily be beaten with a little luck and minimal skill. This doesn't mean it's a crap category though, it's just that the competition's crap.

Archy said:

Luck is involved in all categories (except -nomonsters), it just happens to be more involved in -respawn than any other category. The luck factor will not make up for the skill factor at all, and part of the skill is dealing with the luck factor and making appropriate decisions based on what how many monsters are believed to be dead, and the more one plays -respawn, the more that individual will learn to accurately calculate when it's time to exit.

Most -respawn entries are crap though and can easily be beaten with a little luck and minimal skill. This doesn't mean it's a crap category though, it's just that the competition's crap.

I see, that makes sense I do quite like recording -respawn demos but I can understand that it is mostly luck based i.e. with where monsters respawn as well as the example of judgement you gave and as you rightly said judgement will become easier overtime.