Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

Jimmy91 said:
- MAP32: Go 2 It - Should fit the insane MAP01-slaughtermap-remake style of the map.

Should also stay reasonably close from "Nobody told me about Id" since the "Go 4 It" and "Go @ It" tracks in PL2 and PRCP are variants of that song.

Well, I just feel it'd break a sort of continuity with the unofficial sequels.

Oh, this sounds great! Plutonia always felt sort of cheap and unpolished for simply using recycled music like it did, so giving it a proper soundtrack will finally make it feel complete.

Of course, now the only problem is that TNT uses some recycled DOOM II music, and some of the new tracks get duplicated, resulting in less than 32 new songs for TNT. So unless some "fill-in" tracks are made for TNT too, the two Final DOOM halves will still be somewhat musically incongruous. Though, for now, Plutonia needs new music way more than TNT does. :)

Excellent idea Jimmy! I would contribute a track but I am not exactly literate with FL Studio and Ableton (which I have on here). I cannot wait for this, I hope StewBoy joins up too. Lastly, we should definitely have more community projects like this.

Jimmy, I'd love to write something for Hunted, I love making MIDI's and I always thought something could fit that map better! Something that truly reflects a vile-slaughterfest.

The interest here is very promising, thanks everybody for pitching in. :D Just to clarify, I will be working on something myself quite soon. :)

Doomkid: You're pencilled in for MAP11. ;)

I'll make a track. Since I'm pretty unfamiliar with Plutonia, you can choose a map for me.

Bucket: How about for MAP09: Abattoire? It has a pretty consistent dark and bloody theme throughout. :)

Surprise me with a map. I'm really only familiar with the first 5 or so maps, but I can work on any. I like surprises ;) lol

How about MAP23: Tombstone? See if you can make a song with an odd time signature like "Bye Bye American Pie". :P

Jimmy91 said:

How about MAP23: Tombstone? See if you can make a song with an odd time signature like "Bye Bye American Pie". :P

I'll see what I can come up with X)

OK then.

EDIT: Spent a few hours on this. It's not a masterpiece; I tried not to obsess over it like you said. If you want to give me another map, I can probably do a track next week.

http://speedy.sh/upRXp/plut09.mid
Title: "Plutocrat"
Time: 2:25
Size: 13.7 KB

Hehe, very nice indeed. :D It's got a nice blend of subtleness and more active melodies and a really nice chord progression towards the end. It also fits quite snugly in the "Doomy" category of MIDIs. :D Good job. ;) Just needs a name, now.

In terms of another map, how about MAP15? Has a consistently metal theme, unlike the majority of Plutonia's maps, so you might wish to experiment with something a bit different. :)

I'll start linking the files on the first post, and get a permanent project folder set up on my Powerhouse site.

I'll also think more about which slots I'll be claiming myself. I have my eye on MAP17 for some reason. (Won't claim it just yet, though.)

Okay, you've been added. :) Can I see any samples of previous work you've done? Just curious. :P

Don't be discouraged. :) You can always change your slot, or ask for help or for a fellow musician to collaborate with you. ;) Your MIDI shows promise. There's a few "odd things" in it (not nearly as unforgivable as some of the horrible mistakes I made), but these can be ironed out easily. Learn from your mistakes and give it your best anyway. :)

Unless you're really not sure about contributing, I'll keep you in for now. Up to you, though. :P

Can you pencil me in for MAP26? that's a favourite of mine...

I've made many MIDIs in my life, lost most of them, but here are a few recent things which are more pensive and funk inclined; 1 2 3

I can always throw together some hard rock twelve bar if that's what I decide the level demands, haha... let me know!

Sure. :)

Those MIDIs are... trippy as hell. o_O Interesting indeed, but I'm not sure they lend themselves to Doom all that much. In order to get something fitting for a Doom map, you'd probably have to go with something more traditional-rock-oriented, like you said.

Anyway, MAP26 is yours. :)

Personally, I don't see a problem with expanding to other genres. There's a reason why Plutonia is its own IWAD. I would sooner take inspiration from TNT or other games entirely than Doom/Doom2. Even Bobby Prince ventured away from adapting heavy metal songs.

I would try to remain faithful firstly to the limitations of the MUS format and secondly to the feel of the level. All other bets are off.

Bucket said:

OK then.

EDIT: Spent a few hours on this. It's not a masterpiece; I tried not to obsess over it like you said. If you want to give me another map, I can probably do a track next week.

http://speedy.sh/upRXp/plut09.mid
Size: 13.7 kb

This was very cool, except for the chord progression at the end =) It was okay, but something more minor`ish would fit better imo.

Not that my opinion matters though ;)

I`d like to contribute to this, but I`m not sure I have the time! I`ll be back to let you know if I can throw something together.

'Fraid there's something wrong with it. It's 35kb, and neither Cakewalk nor Media Player can play it.

Maybe I'll take a crack at Map31. Not sure when I'll have my MIDI done up by, but hopefully by next weekend. I'll upload a sample or two in the morning, if I remember.

Jimmy91 said:

'Fraid there's something wrong with it. It's 35kb, and neither Cakewalk nor Media Player can play it.

I double-checked the link and it plays fine for me. Maybe check your cache?

As promised, here's a sample of what I'm working on for Map31. It's far from finished, which is why it ends rather abruptly. And I didn't mean for it to match the action of the level, but it seems to work out nicely that way - it starts to pick up around the time you'd normally hit the switch to release the first Cyberdemon, for example.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cs5t58nb77qq8qs