Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango TV [BLOODSHEDDER IS THE MAN]

Sounds like the start of this thing got cut off yes yes?

Awakening was 80% with the only editor I knew at the time, DETH for BOOM (along with DOSBOX). Eventually the level got too big for DETH and, as advised by Xaser, I switched to DB2. The level was supposed to be simply BOOM-compatible, but I was testing the entire time in ZDoom. ZDoom and BOOM conveyor belts move at drastically different speeds for some reason, so the map didn't work at all outside of ZDoom. So I had to make it ZDoom exclusive. I threw in some DECORATE monsters and called it good.

NaturalTvventy said:

Sounds like the start of this thing got cut off yes yes?

Indeed. I unfortunately forgot to hit record until 5 minutes into the conversation, electing to withhold this information until after the talk had concluded, so although it picks up more or less at the foothills of discussion there is a snippet of it removed.

It's worth pointing out, however, that unlike the interview episodes where recording the introductory segment occurs on the day, program B features a post-interview introduction that allows for a more natural birth of discussion (we just decide to start talking about the headline topic whenever). Naturally, this means I have to pick a spot as close to the beginning as possible so as to tie in nicely with the introduction and miss out none of the critical talk. It just so happens that in this instance I went and screwed it up like a total dunce, heh.

A bit disappointed in this discussion on source ports. Felt that the panel lacked familiarity with source ports as a topic, rather than just ZDoom. This relates to both what source ports there are and what the history of source ports look like and how it has evolved and why the landscape looks like it does today.

NaturalTvventy said:

ZDoom and BOOM conveyor belts move at drastically different speeds for some reason

Boom/PrBoom/PrBoom+ doesn't properly apply scrolling floor speeds if the scroll floor linedef is not a multiple of 32. So if you make the set speed linedef 8 long it's going to scroll at that speed in Zdoom/Eternity but it's going to scroll as if that linedef was 1 long in BOOM. (It rounds the speed down to the next lowest factor of 32.) Even more bizarrely it only applies to monsters and voodoo dolls as the player will move at the correct speed on the conveyor.

Kristus: yeah had Alfonzo not cut off the beginning you would have heard us talking about how this was mostly about modern use of source ports and not the history of source ports.

Tarnsman said:

Boom/PrBoom/PrBoom+ doesn't properly apply scrolling floor speeds if the scroll floor linedef is not a multiple of 32.

Now you tell me!

I've been listening to these interviews during my past few mapping sessions, which have been my most productive in recent memory, so big thanks to Tango and Alfonzo for these potentially map-nourishing intellectual dooming discussions!

Anyways, here are some suggestions I thought of for future Program B topics for you guys to use/ignore:

-Discuss your opinions on some recently released meagawads, such as Progressive fiction, Interception, Doomworld Mega Project, that French 3 hours project, etc. What are the highlights and lowlights of each?

-What are your feelings on different types of "niche wads", such as slaughter wads, puzzle wads, Lainos-style maps, etc.?

-Discuss whether the general quality of new doom maps has been increasing or decreasing over the past few years.

-Talk about whether the current comment system on the doomworld /idgames archive interface is a good example of anonymity or just a troll magnet. How can it be improved?

-What are the benefits and problems with the doom community being split up onto so many different websites?

-Is the highly-selective recruitment process for, and top-secret discussions of the btsx team necessary for the creation of such a big project, or just an example of elitism? (Having a non-btsx member being part of the conversation would obviously make this more balanced.)

-Discuss why Heretic/Hexen/Strife wads are so rare. In what ways could the creation of more of them be encouraged?

-Talk about the challenges of creating a one-man megawad, and if all the effort that goes into making them is worth it.

-Discuss your opinions on jokewads.

-How important is in-game music to the doom experience? Is it better for wad authors not skilled enough to create their own midis to rip a bunch of them from other wads or keep the doom II tracks?

Thanks for those, Processingcontrol. We're kind of looking to edge toward some more specific topics of discussion such as the ones you've listed here, so these will come in handy and probably see a lot of use. Quite soon, in fact...

Anyhoo, this here post is designed primarily to remind you of the upcoming interview with kristus, which is now slated for Saturday the 16th. Somewhat astoundingly, we've already received some questions for the asking... so let's have some more! capitalize on the occasion!

Second of all, my apologies to those who are still waiting on the 3rd episode of program B (like hell you are), as the plans were disassembled somewhat ambiguously at the last moment and subsequently postponed 'till next week. In the mean time, you can still fork over your thoughts, ideas and rants to me via PM to be read out on the show. To help direct any thoughts you may have, the discussion is still dealing with the multiplayer community, its relevance on the modern scene, and some of the all-time mapping greats -- both in authorship and megawads.

Processingcontrol said:

Talk about the challenges of creating a one-man megawad, and if all the effort that goes into making them is worth it.

It is absolutely worth it you should try it sometime.

And another hell yes over here.

valkiriforce said:

It is absolutely worth it you should try it sometime.

Trying to refrain from punching the screen can be tricky at times, though.

Creating a 32 map megawad is worth it only if you have 32 ideas for maps. Otherwise, you should just make as many maps as you have ideas for. Don't push yourself, don't create filler content just for the sake of making 32 maps. Most megawad authors fail at this I think.

Delivery for a Mr. Doomworld. Sign here please.

It's episode 3 of Program B, featuring the eponymous hero! Today's discussion is not actually multiplayer related -- that will be hitting the thread in a few days time. This here number is rather a sort of quick-fire review on some of the recently released and upcoming high profile mapsets. In rough order, these are:

Interception
Hadephobia
Bad Megawad
2012 doomworld Mega Project
BTSX Episode 1
Brutal Doom v18
Go Pound It
Doom 2 In Name Only
Doom 2 The Way id Did
Monochrome Mapping Project
Switcherroom
TNT2: Devilution
HYMN: Heretic Community Project
HPack: Demonic Uprising
NOVA: The Birth
Panaphobia
Vela Pax / Supplice

If you're involved with any of these projects be sure you check it out! I will warn you though -- there is some measure of bitching and tomato throwing involved in this discussion. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and we like to flaunt this fact with lots of expletives. Oh, I guess I should probably flag that up, too.

>> Download << [103 MB]

The dual interview with kristus is also inbound, so don't wander off too far!

As an aside, I think I should probably voice my general dissatisfaction with the overall audio quality of the interviews and discussions that I've been putting out here, and I'm looking at a variety of ways in which to improve it. Granted I didn't make use of the handy Levelator on this occasion because the file sizes are cumbersome and problematic, but if anyone is perhaps willing to collaborate on post-production or even take the reigns in dealing with it then that would be swell. It's a big ask, though, so in the mean time I'll keep at it.

That was cool, earlier this evening I watched sports writers round-table headlines in my Sky+'d Sunday Supplement and I followed that up with Doomworld commentators doing the same with Doom wads. I've been guilty of not keeping up with Tango TV but I really hope these (p)review roundups become a regular thing. st.alfonzo was on typically wry form and Tarnsman's forthright enthusiastic sports pundit style was most endearing. It was nice to hear Tarnsman's thoughts on Hadephobia too. Good job. Please update the thread title next time though or else I often miss the new uploads.

It is with great pleasure that TTV presents to you this latest interview offering. Kristus has been on the cards for quite some time, so it was great to be able to finally sit down and talk about his past and present endeavours in map design and discover a great deal more about what went on behind his most well known projects, both in and outside Team Future.

>> Download << [81 MB]

My sound card majestically ruptured at some point during the talk, but it's been so seamlessly patched up I'd have to pay you money for managing to point out where it happened!

As always, your feedback is much appreciated, so do leave comments.

Episode 5 of Program B will focus on the process behind making one-man megawads; its difficulties and benefits. We don't have a third speaker lined up for this one yet, so if you're keen on taking part be sure to drop us a line! Otherwise, you can always send us in you thoughts on the topic to be read out on the show. Also stay tuned for interviews with NaturalTvventy, VF, Sir Juddington, and others in the future.

Snakes said:

Trying to refrain from punching the screen can be tricky at times, though.

;)

And the megawad I'm working on I was only required to do 16 levels and I've punched quite a few things quite a few times, and snapped a flash disc in half and thrown it out the window. You'd swear it feels like a job at times!

Felt like time just swept by, had so much I could talk about and so little time to say it. But I hope people find it interesting. Also, sorry for my terribly tired voice.

EDIT: Also, the guy I couldn't name was Travers Dunne (aka Hobbes)

so

i'm thinking it might be a good idea for us to get someone to take over my spot as an interviewer. which makes it less Tango TV than it already is, and the name really doesn't have to stay the same, but alfonzo does the goal of the project much more justice than i ever could so i think it would probably be good to get someone more on his level to interview with him. tarnsman would get first dibs i think, if he's interested, but throwing that out there in case there are any others among us that would be interested

The name should stay the same. It's like TBS, but with Tango.

Yea I agree, Tango TV is too good a name. Plus it already has nothing to do with TV, so it's fitting that it will become disassociated with Tango as well.

Tango said:

i'm thinking it might be a good idea for us to get someone to take over my spot as an interviewer.

His Eminence The Tango would still be the most important figurehead on TTV, whatever happens. His throne would sit silently in the center of the studio awaiting his return, a team of maidens ready to give it a scrub down when the lookouts sight his carriage on approach.

Really though, that's sad to hear. I hope my enthusiasm for the project hasn't muscled you out of the way, or anything :(

hahaha. and no no. it just seems silly to have me there on the side when someone else can be/is doing a better job with it. the goal really was for me to be able to hear about doom community members, and not necessarily find out myself :p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(InsertInfinite'O'sHere)OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo(InsertInfinite'!'Here)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HH$#&*TY)$&*)UIOEWHKJDS(*Y_#$UIEIJHFW(&PY#Q

*most eloquent post ever*

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO(InsertInfinite'O'sHere)OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo(InsertInfinite'!'Here)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HH$#&*TY)$&*)UIOEWHKJDS(*Y_#$UIEIJHFW(&PY#Q

*most eloquent post ever*

love you too man

Are you looking to fill the interviewer role with another person?

...'cuz I got some free time or whatever...

EDIT: Or help out with other duties like web space or whatever.

does my audio monologue thing not fit in with this? I spent hours on it :/

40oz said:

does my audio monologue thing not fit in with this? I spent hours on it :/

eh? not fit in with what? i've added it in the OP etc too. neither i nor alfonzo have actually done anything to the website ourselves; that's all been bloodshedder i think. so yeah we can still add that in, no worries mate