Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

I'm getting to work on mine, but at the moment I think it's a little too fast-metal-ish. I'm working on a slow, creeping intro for it that lead into the riff more appropriately.

Here's a random, unrealted midi that me and a friend made a few months back, just to show the sort of feel i'm going for, only a little more pumped and slightly less ambient:
http://www.mediafire.com/?no6k8riqybme7m5

I used this MIDI in a mapset I made, so a few of you may have heard this one before

darkreaver: S'alright, dude. Just let me know. :)

Bucket: Maybe I'd loaded the page earlier while the file was still on MediaFire, because the SpeedyShare link worked fine. Anyway, great MIDI again. :D Definitely doesn't sound like "Waltz of the Demons" but I can see it fitting The Twilight all the same. :P I freakin' love the organ and string chords that come in halfway. Only gripe is that it could possibly be longer, which would just involve copying a few sections or introducing the instruments later, so that they layer on top of each other more gradually. That's something I can easily take care of (with your permission) if you don't want to/don't have the time. :)

Hellish Godzilla: Hmm, there's a few things that need fixing before this is finished, I think. The 3/4 rhythm needs to be better established in the intro, perhaps in the form of some primitive drum track. (The drums you have at the moment don't fit in the rhythm and some are really loud.) The melodies on the harp and bells kind of go all over the place and aren't all that memorable, and most of what the saw lead is doing doesn't sit well with the rest of the track. The part where it picks up is pretty cool, though. :)

Doomkid: That's a pretty cool MIDI right there. Not sure about the piano intro, but the rest is great. :D Looking forward to hearing your Hunted track. :D

Ribbiks: Added. :) Looking forward to your contribution, too. :D

Eris Falling: How about MAP08: Realm?

Jimmy91 said:

Eris Falling: How about MAP08: Realm?

Ahaa, this should be interesting.
Right, slow and mysterious...

I am really tempted to take a slot but not sure how to record MIDI's in FL Studio (I'm kind of new to this so may take some time) but I might give this a go.

Jimmy91 said:

Hellish Godzilla: Hmm, there's a few things that need fixing before this is finished, I think. The 3/4 rhythm needs to be better established in the intro, perhaps in the form of some primitive drum track. (The drums you have at the moment don't fit in the rhythm and some are really loud.) The melodies on the harp and bells kind of go all over the place and aren't all that memorable, and most of what the saw lead is doing doesn't sit well with the rest of the track. The part where it picks up is pretty cool, though. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm beginning to think that I should strip out all the intro stuff and submit the fast part (with a little more work) as intermission music. If I can retool the ambient stuff, it'll probably work better as a separate track, unattached to the uptempo Doom II/Prince homage. Feel free to shift my slot from Map31 to INTER.

Jimmy91 said:

Only gripe is that it could possibly be longer, which would just involve copying a few sections or introducing the instruments later, so that they layer on top of each other more gradually. That's something I can easily take care of (with your permission) if you don't want to/don't have the time. :)

Odd. I'm not used to people telling me my songs aren't long enough. I've been trying to have more focused compositions.
http://speedy.sh/AWcyh/plut15.mid

I need a challenge. I'll take MAP32.

Springy said:

I am really tempted to take a slot but not sure how to record MIDI's in FL Studio (I'm kind of new to this so may take some time) but I might give this a go.

In the Mixer tab put "FRUITY LSD" in the first mixer. The channels will be midi outs that point to the mixer. Rest should be self explanatory.

Bucket: Claim added. :)

Mr. Freeze: Very cool. :D Shall I assign you a slot?

BlackFish said:

In the Mixer tab put "FRUITY LSD" in the first mixer. The channels will be midi outs that point to the mixer. Rest should be self explanatory.

Thanks mate! I'll get some practice done and maybe choose a slot if I feel that I can get a good MIDI done. Only thing I've ever done is mix songs.

Yakfak: Please keep making midis. The three you posted earlier in this thread are mega-awesome. :D

(Speaking of, do you happen to have a download for your other midi works around? I can't seem to find it under "mollusc" because I'm navigationally broken. Guess I should probably also ask if you're cool with 'em being used in a wad or two if given credit. Consider this an implicit bout of ask-ness.)

THREAD HIJACK COMPLETE

Bucket: That's pretty crazy. I like it overall, though I'm not really keen on the D_E2M4 segment in the middle. The guitar solo is pretty cool, though perhaps the pitch wheels are a bit extreme in some bits, and the echo isn't necessary, I think. I also get the feeling the track could be slowed down just a tad - from 110 to 104. Not sure why that is. The extreme panning on the main lead could probably be condensed to 32/96.

Oh, and here's a major nitpick - the power kit should probably be a standard one. That kit wasn't used in Doom or TNT's soundtracks at all.

yakfak: Oh, lord. Hmm. It's... a great start, but honestly it's still far too out there. Your use of chromatic scales and really really high notes are mainly what make it a bit unsuitable for Doom. That said, there are some cool melodic ideas in it. Would you allow me to go through it and, well, effectively make it really boring? I'd try to avoid bastardizing it too much, but I would be stripping out most of the quirky stuff. Understandable if that's not okay.

If you want to make more, that's fine (I can pencil you in for more slots if you want), but I'd need to ask you to refrain from... going too nuts.

Mr. Freeze: How about MAP02: Well of Souls?

Your intermission track is good, though I'm not sure the piano fits as the lead instrument. Will you be making any further edits to it to improve it? I would recommend changing the piano to a harp or maybe an acoustic guitar, adding some cymbals every four bars and perhaps adding some form of bass - maybe just a simple two-note "dmm-dmm" thing every two bars. :P Thanks for the contribution, though! Added to the first post.

...heh, I've just realized how I hate giving honest criticism. x_x

Jimmy91 said:

Mr. Freeze: How about MAP02: Well of Souls?

Sounds good, time to rev up Guitar Pro!

Jimmy91 said:

Your intermission track is good, though I'm not sure the piano fits as the lead instrument. Will you be making any further edits to it to improve it? I would recommend changing the piano to a harp or maybe an acoustic guitar, adding some cymbals every four bars and perhaps adding some form of bass - maybe just a simple two-note "dmm-dmm" thing every two bars. :P Thanks for the contribution, though! Added to the first post.

...heh, I've just realized how I hate giving honest criticism. x_x

I'll add those suggestions in and give it a title. Expect it and MAP02 music sometime tomorrow.

hmm. i'm kind of interested in contributing to this, but unsure if my level of skill is fit for this project. :p

idk, you tell me. i've got some MIDI-tracks up on my Soundcloud so you can judge for yerself:

https://soundcloud.com/viscramaelstrom/rise

https://soundcloud.com/viscramaelstrom/untitled-game-track

https://soundcloud.com/viscramaelstrom/ascension-of-satan-finished

Those tracks are great. If you took out the blast beats from the first track, it would sound exactly like something from Doom.

Jimmy: I thought that'd be the case, haha. Oh well... I'm not a huge proponent of the Bobby Prince "What if Slayer wrote twelve-bar?" style so I went and added too much funk, as usual. Don't bother cleaning up the tune; I should probably withdraw so that someone more adherent to that approach can take my slot.

Jimmy91 said:

In that case, I guess my bid for the INTER slot's a no-go, huh? That's okay; I'll keep plugging away with Map31. I've been running with the midtempo part of the MIDI I posted earlier, though I'm not sure the result will suit this map. I'll post what I have now - I think the slower part at the end will have to go or be revised, regardless of where the music ends up: http://www.mediafire.com/?6kf5pb7vc8gumsc

Eris Falling: Changed. :)

yakfak: Okay, I'll clear your slot, but leave the MIDI up on the repository for posterity. Don't be discouraged, I'd really like to hear more zany MIDIs from you. :)

Okey dokey, here's my first contribution - for MAP22: Impossible Mission. (Feels kinda dickish claiming and filling a slot immediately for my own project. I'll definitely let it be known in advance next time. :P)

Stealth Mode (2:26)

- Features "throwbacks" to TNT MAP22's track, including an interlude in the middle which is pretty much a shameless ripoff.
- The orchestra hit part is kind of supposed to be Mission Impossible-y. Not sure if I succeeded there.
- The bassy bit at the end was just something I had in my mind that I had to get down. It segues back into the intro.
- Hopefully loops properly. I have a 1-tic crash cymbal at the end 1 tic before the end of the final bar, so the track should loop with that cymbal seamlessly.
- I'll probably keep coming back to this and updating it for no reason, heh.

EDIT: whoops, Huntress and Godzilla, I'll get back to you in a bit.

I have a track that I wrote for Scythe X which never saw the light of day. It should be appropriate for a dark map. You're welcome to delete duplicate tracks if the delay is too much.

http://speedy.sh/EArK9/scythex.mid
Title: "Pluvious"
Length: 4:08
Size: 27.7 KB

Ooh, nice, I remember that one. Very cool track, will be glad to include it. :D

Bucket said:

Those tracks are great. If you took out the blast beats from the first track, it would sound exactly like something from Doom.

hmm. i guess i could try and reconstruct and touch up some parts of that track, and see if it fits in this project, then?

edit: well, i did fix it up just now. the blast beats are still there, but i added an ending which looped properly instead of that 30 second harp thingy, and panned the guitar tracks. have a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dscpcaoie1b325m/Rise_2.mid

Doomhuntress: That MIDI won't load for me in Cakewalk or Media Player. The sample you have on SoundCloud is very good, though - but as Bucket said, the blastbeats aren't entirely necessary. They'll stick out really badly when playing Doom and become distracting after a while.

I like your second one. It starts out promising but then gets a bit odd. Not out of key or anything, just a bit chromatic for my tastes.

The third one, Ascension of Satan, is really good, and I can easily see it being used for MAP21: Slayer, with perhaps a few of the smallest tweaks. (The drums could probably be made simpler, in places and in all honesty the organ would probably work equally well as strings.) What do you think? :)