Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Ribbiks said:

fda

Thanks for the demo, hmm :P no :) no :D no, I'll go with the buck toothed emoticon :B
Nice to have '1 switch at a time' playtested, which might be kind of tedious but pretty necessary for an fda, since I've only played 'hit all switches as fast as possible' which gets chaotic (haven't beat it that way, mostly weeding out viles w/ bfg, but your demo almost proves its beatable anyway).
Forgot to remove all those backpacks for player 2/3/4/deathmatch at start, I think I like it like that though.
And noticed walls to key areas don't lower perfectly.

Memfis said:

That's what I did on fda and failed miserably of course

Ha ha, you throw angle-changing movement tantrums out of frustration just like me, one obvious one after a death then again after you accidentally got 2 megaspheres. I basically used green textures because there's more in the default palette that go together. So many doom flats have no good matching side textures (I usually think of the whole sector as a blocky unit and make all a sector's side textures match the floor/ceil, and zdoom allows the same image for flat/textures which often looks best for me given my limited patience with interior decorating). And its called mult because I made one area with 3 switches, then 'multiplied' it by copy/pasting 3 times (so each teleport ambush triples to each paste). Also called 00000001 to make fun of myself because I often start numbering like that then never even get to 00000002, making the 00000001 redundant.

Phendrena said:

I could use some suggestions on what you think defines a slaughtermap.

Everyone has preferences and the definition is loose and requirements aren't that strict. I think you already have the basic concept of the fuzzy definition. Personally I usually prefer maps about 15 minutes or less (because longer difficult maps require less risky careful play to have a realistic chance of beating it, and each restart can potentially cost 40 mins of play time etc) and ones where the route is simple/obvious/repetitive in some way where you can just concentrate on gameplay without going on switch hunts or doing lots of studying to find a route/secrets/etc.
But that's just me and variety is fun and maps that go against the grain of the above can be awesome too.
I think just make something you personally like, be as creative/weird/whatever as you want.

gggmork said:

Thanks for the demo, hmm :P no :) no :D no, I'll go with the buck toothed emoticon :B

heh, sorry about that. I thought about speeding it up a bit, but I'm terribad with keyboard. and also I didn't know if switches did different things or if they tele'd in the same batch of enemies. I'll give it a proper testing later :p

Phendrena said:

What do you all look for in a Slaughtermap? I've read a lot of the 2011/2012 threads and had a poke around with a few maps. The overriding feeling i get is massive amounts of enemies and thus quite an extreme difficulty.

What do you like in your maps? Open arenas? Wide spaces? Nasty traps? A relentless onslaught? I could use some suggestions on what you think defines a slaughtermap.

Thanks,

Dave

balanced, not tedious, difficult gameplay is all I really look for, and it can come in many flavors. In past slaughterfests it wasn't uncommon to have some very difficult maps that didn't necessarily throw hordes of enemies at the player, so sheer monster magnitude isn't a requirement. I'd say just make a map you think is challenging, post it, receive feedback etc. There are a few tropes I think should be avoided, like endless circle-strafing around giant packs of non-threatening mobs, but I guess that pretty much falls under my 'not tedious' preference :)

I just chose the buck toothed emoticon to be "unique" and a doofus, not to belittle your demo or anything which was fun to watch. 180 degree flip key really helps for keyboard only, if you plan to play that way more. And whatever super authority said that using it is "legal" for demos or whatever.

gggmork said:

mult00000001.wad

My crappy FDA. Pretty much the same as Ribbiks' except that I played with mouse, hehe.
It's quite lame playthrough, looks like playing other games for several days with completely different mechanics and all that stuff affects dooming skills. I've wasted megaspheres too early, then medikits too, so the last few minutes were one big close call, but anyway after second key chances to survive were too little.
As for the map - it was great, one of the most entertaining things I've played recently. And it's not hard, it was just me playing dead. Almost.

ok let's throw more garbage demos for this trash wad. I was lost in the beginning, because i had no idea what the buttons do (mind you, i still have no idea what they do), i even thought they were lifts or smth at first. Ran around pressing everything and shooting mobs and somehow was doing fine. Decided that prolly should play more safe and kept the last button waiting for a while until it all became clear. Pressed. Hilarity ensued. Recommended to watch at least for the death moment >:D 300monsters left or so.

http://kopasite.net/up/3jxqczfrg0865tj/multabyrfda.lmp

Amazing as all hell map, even though textures make it look like an overgrown public restroom imo.

jongo said:

fda

Thanks. That was pretty good! I see what you mean about the cybs. I'm debating whether I should replace them with AV's or just get rid of them altogether. About the cave part: I know what you mean, about it not fitting in. I wonder if I can make it more slaughterfesty (more tunnels, wider caverns), or if I should redesign it with some other theme. I also might keep the player in the red key room longer.

Also, what did you mean by this?

the trap with red key could be much more fun if it had more stuff in it

Very close to beating it in the first try, demonologist (skepticist?). Playing aggressive in 'fda clear one group at a time' style which you kicked my ass in on obhack fdas longish ago.

That was kickass for an fda, jongo (gutbuster2 demo looked effortless too). Almost first try doing 'fast uvmax' style but for an fda. The switches just make enemies warp, but if you get all 3 on one "copy paste unit", then a key area opens. @restroom, ha ha.

I'll probably have to edit it eventually cuz the key walls don't lower completely correctly.

I think filesmelt is down, will try downloading it again later.

EDIT: Its up again. Nice, you beat it using boss infighting and exploiting the ledge. Persistent at an hour+ in length so took some fast-forwarding.

gggmork said:
(skepticist?)

Haha, nope, we know each other but we're not the same person. So this is the first fda from me that reaches you I guess.

Krispy said:

Also, what did you mean by this?

I meant that the trap either should be made more intense by putting more revs/arachs/viles/demons on the floor, or just spawning mobs in bigger chunks (and quicker), and also putting a little bit of an additional ammo there to compensate probably. In current version one just has to circlestrafe in a pretty empty room, and right when something starts appearing there, the bars are already down, so it's super easy (and quicker) to just run away to come back later with RL. This is useful for speedrunning, but imo it's better to tweak it so that one has to fight/survive a little bit before running out.
Regarding cybs - imo cybs can't really work well when they're put in pits like that. It's hard for mobs from above to reach them and vice versa. I'd try to rework the room so that the area with cybs became a little higher than the middle section. Not just by raising floor, but maybe by adding platforms there (possibly surrounded by lava or whatnot). That way infights are easier to trigger and cybs are more prone to shoot you when you're running anywhere around that room.

EDIT: tried out poop.wad, here's a crappy fda. Deaths near the beginning can be found smeared all over the lmp. So after getting the first part done, i started to play very defensively, eventually finishing in 35min or so. The scariest close call was on the last remaining cyb. I liked the map for intensity, proper max should be quite difficult to do, but very fast though. That said, i wouldn't change shit in this poop map, it's pretty as is imo.

EDIT2: Some sort of fda for templev2. I've actually ragequit in a real first demo attempt and deleted a demo worth of 15min gameplay, but it was basically exactly like this one, except that instead of finishing i died on a last cyb there. About the map though... man, screw this vile. And the goddamn autoaim. The vile just multiplies amount of attempts by 50, and is luckbased. It's not that hard to dodge stuff while killing him, but i chose not to just to see how it would feel like recording a uv-max for this map. Not much fun :p The rest of the map is very nice though, balanced and fast. I actually would like a little bit more revs to teleport in, but not sure if it'll work out as good as i imagine it to be. And ye, i played like an idiot because of being tilted and annoyed by the vile, so it's probably going to be painful to watch :D

jongo said:

Some sort of fda for templev2.

that was indeed painful, nice job though :) Indeed the map is pretty punishing for small mistakes, and the vile placement is indeed questionable. I don't recall it giving me that much trouble though, I usually try and grab bfg, then 1shot the vile, a choice that more often then not left me more angry at the manc :p

My 1st map for this wad is finished. This map is named as "Daiyu's Chamber", it's a medium-sized slaughter map(Superfluous, everyone knows that) with 750 monsters in total. My map is inspired by Slaughterfest 2012 Map22(Royale Arena by Cannonball), Combat Shock 2 Map03(Hone Gumi by Daniel "dannebubinga" Jakobsson) and Dead Simple Maps.

Here are some information about this map:

Iwad: Slaughterfest 2013(Please play with 2013.wad now)
Map level: 1
Map name: Daiyu's Chamber
Author: Daiyu Xiaoxiang(Me)
Monsters count: 750
Inspiration: Slaughterfest 2012 Map22, Combat Shock 2 Map03, Dead Simple Maps
Map size: Medium
Secrets: 1
Music used: Heretic E1M9(The Graveyard)
Tested Engine: PrBoom-Plus
Editor used: Doombuilder, XWE
Can't run with: Not sure
Play with complevel: 2
Textures from: Doom 2, Community Chest 4(cc4-tex.wad), My own PC

Screenshots:

1. Start of map.
2. One of the room with a certain key.
3. Huge hall with crushers, inspired by Combat Shock 2 Map03.
4. Final battle.

Pictures used:
1. Lin Huiyin
2. Chen Xiaoxu
3. Teresa Teng
4. Princess Pearl/Huan Zhu Ge Ge/My Fair Princess
5. Audrey Hepburn
6. Yue Lin. Sorry no English information about her. She's a Taiwanese actress, and this picture is a scene of the Chinese novel "Ghost Husband"(Somehow translate since no official English name) by Chiung_Yao. Try search pictures of her using her Chinese name.
7. The father of China, Doctor Sun Yat-Sen
8. General Chiang Kai-Shek
9. ROC Emblem
10. Empresses in the Palace
11. And others from Baidu Forum and various websites.

Map download available:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/2013.wad

Nomonster test:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/DAIYU_SF2013-1-NOMO-TEST.lmp

Coop and difficulty settings will be added later.

Thanks for the fix memfis :)
This map reminds me of journey to hell in a wall of many colours sense. It's really wacky with all the lights. Gameplay is nowhere near jth standards which is good :) But I'll let more respected members (people who can beat slaughtermaps) pick apart the gameplay aspects.

Here is a FDA for the fixed version that I made. I liked the parts where the player gets trapped in a room with teleporting monsters, the yellow key trap was especially cool and chaotic. But the main playing area is kind of boring IMO: you get a lot of ammo, health and space to move so you don't really have to fight, you can just run around and collect the keys while picking up soulspheres and shooting at the monsters on your way. Needs more pressure. :)

Took a shot at Daiyu's 2013_final.wad, really fun. Got up to the yellow key area and died. Good for a first run I guess.

FDA

Hope this is better:

Changes:

1. Removal of a green armor in the beginning chamber.
2. Replace some cell charge packs with cell charges, rockets, shells, ammo clips etc.
3. Replace some rocket boxes with only rockets.
4. Replace some medikits by stimpacks.
5. Removal of all 3 soulspheres in the chambers.
6. Removal of some rocket boxes.
7. Move 2 green armors to end of chambers, forcing players to receive more hitscan damages during the rush.
8. Removal of 18 useless charge packs in final room.
9. Move 4 barons into different positions.
10. Removal of all health pickups in the SM cage chambers.

Download:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/2013_Final2.wad

***Dear Ribbiks: Please change the download link of my map to the one above***

of course :), the OP gets updated whenever a new version of anything is posted.

Map looks pretty fun from a quick perusal, I'll give a proper playthrough after work.

Cool map! Took me 2-3 lives before I figured out where the BFG/SSG was.

played daiyu, pretty fun, still haven't beaten it in a single go, made it to the last room though.

Gotta be careful with how you design sectors that 'lock' the player into a room, it's possible to break the ones in this map:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cxrahb78v2rfu78

I'd recommend using instant raise/lower + block monsters lines, or moving the door close linedefs further into the room.

also the portraits all over the place are strangely unnerving heh

Actually I know there's some features like teleporting objects and doors that open after a while. All these features are seen in teleporting chambers, but I still don't know how to do these, will learn it soon.

I see what I can do to correct these 2 door bugs. About those pictures, I don't think I really want to remove it. But for my next map(Mines of Moria/Escape from Moria/Chasm of Moria), these pictures won't be added since it affect its atmosphere. Maybe I only added pictures from Lord of the Rings even I want to add it. I will do one more map, and that mine I mentioned is based on Lord of the Rings, the Moria scene. That map will have forced pacifist.