Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob-Omb

New to source ports: Need one for Hexen. Please Help!

I just got a "new" copy of Hexen online (It was still wrapped, I don't know how new that makes it). The DOS installer gives me sound card options that I don't understand because I'm stupid, but I do know that if I configure it so that the sound effects are active, it plays slowly and the sound is slow, too. If I configure it so that the SFX don't even play, it runs fine. Someone told me to get a source port from this site, and I had never heard of a source port before. Which should I get for my problem? I'd just like to fix my SFX performance, and not have new anything else, like it looks like most of the source ports offer (If that's possible). Thanks for any help!

Doomsday Vavoom

Two great ports there, they support Hexen as well as Doom and Heretic. Since they are GL ports you will have to build GL nodes for the Hexen Iwad but it's a simple fast process and the ports will do it for you if you like. On the downside, if you have a slow computer and/or a crappy video card they may not run well or at all.

BTW: In the downloads section of the 'Doomsday' link, make sure you get the 'unified' package. If you just want a port for Hexen, Jhexen can be found standalone here

HAHAHAHA DXHEXEN HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Also try the Korax Mod 1 & 2 (based on old jHexen, requires OpenGL or D3D). It adds litle more RPG elements to Hexen.

DooMBoy said:

Try dxHexen. Do a Google on it. :)

dxHexen sucks huge 5 pound 9 inch XXX greased up cock

And why exactly does it do that, BBG? I think it could have better mouse support as well as Opengl or Direct3D support, but other than that, I like it.
Call me crazy if you like, as you please.

I have now tried a few Hexen/Heretic source ports, but they all seem to do lots of things I don't want. Not just mouse look or jump, but things like enhanced textures and new sprites. The feel is different, too, like the game was made on a different engine. I want a source port (or something) that purely and only makes my sound work. I even wouldn't mind too much if it gave me 3D sound, but I would like to just have my sounds fixed so that the SFX don't stutter and make the gameplay jumpy. Anything I can do?

Hexen support is being implemented in ZDoom. If you just wait a few months for that lazy Randy Heit guy to get it finished, you'll be able to enjoy Hexen the way it's supposed to look and play but with an up-to-date engine with sound and better performance under 32-bit Windows system.