Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Ok Doomkid92, I have sent you a pm with my maps. (I made some further changes)

LOL @ your map Walter, the combination of a 'my house' map complete with gigantic toilet, the Nirvana midi and all the posters - it feels like a pure refined 90's wad, but good.

Doomkid92 said:

Alrighty everyone, there's been so much work in the past week that I think on the 15th another beta compilation will be made, and May 1st we will do a 3rd beta.

PM sent.

Doomkid92 said:

Alrighty everyone, there's been so much work in the past week that I think on the 15th another beta compilation will be made, and May 1st we will do a 3rd beta.

Even if you've already posted a link, throw another one my way so I can include it in the upcoming compilation.

Hey, that's my birthday!

I'm going to try and finish my second map so I can send my maps to you. After that, though, I'm highly considering working on new maps with a different approach because my maps might be focusing too much on looks (not that they're gothic99 or anything like that).

I'm wanting to make a server for the 1st beta, can I do that?

extending another invitation to anyone that wants me to detailify their maps. i would be more than happy to do so and would be certain to keep the original/intended gameplay intact yo

Ogre is improving his crematorium map:

More ways from room to room, and other changes. Still unfinished, but it's getting there.

Also, the next beta will be compiled tomorrow :) If not for work and stuff I'd do it today, but oh well.

Doomkid92 said:

Make sure to widen those hallways. Unless it is to get a special item, no part of a deathmatch map should ever be less than 128 units wide.

Flamen0d said:

Yeah, I would like mine detailed up. Just for convenient's sake here's the link again. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t2xovv8by0sy5i5

Hey guys,
I started messing around with this map as I think it has a lot of potential with the opening hall's huge height variations, the intestine mini arena, and just all around old school vibe. I moved the exit to behind the start area, just to clear up some space there; started GSTONing the major walls of the hall to compliment the wood12 texture, detailed the stairs and am thinking about doubling/tripling the size of the start room and adding connections to it via the upper balconies of the opening hall--sort of making it a bi-level combat space using the bookcases as upper ledges. I also think the plasma rifle door should be moved more to the SE corner so that it's accessed from the eastern balcony via jumping and then that triggers a fast moving lift down into the tunnels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfq94sknq2u8y34/spatterdm.wad?v=0mcn

Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's toes or going against Flamen0d's intended gameplay here.

Doomkid92 said:

More ways from room to room, and other changes. Still unfinished, but it's getting there.

Also, the next beta will be compiled tomorrow :) If not for work and stuff I'd do it today, but oh well.

You should put some medicine in it.

Hey guys, I've reached another hiccup. Agaures has submitted a map in UDMF which crashes Zdaemon on startup. http://www.mediafire.com/?mfww7t2hs457c4y - Is there some way to convert this to zDoom in Hexen format? There are very few tagged sectors and line actions, im not really sure if that will be a problem, just wondering if this is possible?

Doomkid92 said:

Hey guys, I've reached another hiccup. Agaures has submitted a map in UDMF which crashes Zdaemon on startup. http://www.mediafire.com/?mfww7t2hs457c4y - Is there some way to convert this to zDoom in Hexen format? There are very few tagged sectors and line actions, im not really sure if that will be a problem, just wondering if this is possible?

I know there is a way to do it, I used to convert TNT's maps to hexen format and add marines to it, I think you have to convert it to a MAP file or something, its been a long time since I did that though :/

Doomkid92 said:

but this project wasn't also for odamex?

There may be a tool for converting Boom to UDMF, the other way round is less likely.

Otherwise you would need to open two instances of Doombuilder2, one with the UDMF format map, another a blank Boom format map, highlight the whole map in sector mode, copy and paste all map geometry from one to the other. Same with the items. The linedefs and sector actions can be replicated manually, though it is a pita. Obviously any UDMF stuff like slopes, 3d floors, coloured sector lighting will have to be avoided. etc.

Edit: I tried the map - if you want this to run on Odamex then all the slopes, flats on walls, horizon lines and the rotating sky will have to be removed. Also a player 1 start would be more convenient for testing.

Edit again: I fixed up the map for you, it's now in Boom format! Might want to run it past Aguares first though, I had to replace the slopes with stepped sectors, and I removed the drains completely because they were too annoying to convert.
http://www.mediafire.com/?30ilofj2gkj1ij6

I ended up reloading Wauthor since i can't figure out how to rotate sectors in Doombuilder, and printed off a copy of the map to sketch out my ideas further. Flamen0d let me know if you think I'm changing too much here.

Captain Toenail said:

Edit again: I fixed up the map for you, it's now in Boom format! Might want to run it past Aguares first though, I had to replace the slopes with stepped sectors, and I removed the drains completely because they were too annoying to convert.
http://www.mediafire.com/?30ilofj2gkj1ij6

You're the best, CT! That's a huge help.

walter confalonieri said:
but this project wasn't also for odamex? [/B]

Yeah, but sadly ZDaemon doesn't have UDMF support like Oda does :(

What become of that second compilation?

Did the whole thing skid to a stop due to one hiccup?

TheMionicDonut said:

What become of that second compilation?

Did the whole thing skid to a stop due to one hiccup?

No way! It's the 15th here this morning, getting to work on it now :) Compiling so many different types of maps can be a bit difficult, but the solution I'm using to keep them all functioning properly is hilarious. Without markers between some of the maps, their type "infects" one another, and some become a garbled mess of linedefs. What am I using as a marker? Each map's music track. When compiling the first beta, I thought it was pretty funny that this actually works to keep all the maps in-tact.

Okay everyone, the (STILL VERY EARLY) public beta is ready for all eyes: http://www.mediafire.com/?zol7tao2daohsnf

And there are a metric ton of bugs to fix and improvements to be made, but we're still in the early stages of development. This is basically a bigger, improved version of the last beta.

-Map rotation is far from complete! Slots will be changing.
-Small annoyances (my fault, things like incorrect map name or sky textures - all of the small stuff will be ironed out!)
-More missing textures than you can shake a stick at
-Placeholder MIDIs used: some appear on multiple maps. Another minor thing that will be fixed.
-Incompatabilities (Maps in formats not supported by all engines)
-My maps are riddled with stupid mistakes yet to be fixed (the exit on DMR01, or the easy-to-jump-to BFGs on "Block Fort".
-Some maps are still not present for various reasons. Some need to be converted to a different format, and others are simply not far along enoguh to include in this pack. There are more betas on the way- Don't worry if yours isn't here yet!
-Public Servers, Beta Testing, spreading the word - To all these things, Doomkid says "yes".

Have fun with the early beta, and as usual I'd love to hear detailed thoughts from all of you! Many issues in the first 19 maps have been addressed, and many more fixes are in the making, but it's progress and that's what everyone loves to see.

Oh, and Co-op spawns are totally optional. I put them in my maps where I'd put them if they were having a DM anyway, just for the sake of it.

Doomkid92 said:

No way! It's the 15th here this morning, getting to work on it now :) Compiling so many different types of maps can be a bit difficult, but the solution I'm using to keep them all functioning properly is hilarious. Without markers between some of the maps, their type "infects" one another, and some become a garbled mess of linedefs. What am I using as a marker? Each map's music track. When compiling the first beta, I thought it was pretty funny that this actually works to keep all the maps in-tact.

Well that is a bit more than a hiccup. Glad to see it is here and running.

Here are my thoughts so far on the maps I have tried.

Map01: Solid deathmatch map here, no complaints aside from the already-mentioned exit room blockage.

Map02: Again, another solid dm map, though maybe a bit too similar to the familiar Dwango map01 in layout and theme.

Map03: Simple rocket launcher only arena, could be really fun or just an unfun clusterfuck of gibbage - will need to play online to find out. Maybe a bit too open and symmetrical?

Map04: Quite amusing as a Mario Kart remake, but I'm not sure if it will play well. Lots of BFG and blurspheres might just encourage spamming. I'm sure I have see this map in at least two other Doom projects – must be a popular map to remake. Also the texturing is horrible.

Map05: I am worried that the BFG is far to easy to access in this map – it's placed right in the centre in an easy to access lift. Not quite sure what the side buttons do either. Otherwise pretty cool map – like a round Dead Simple.

Map06: The barrels and the tree might get in the way of combat too often, otherwise this map is fine.

Map07: The layout is a bit boring and I wouldn't have made the main pit so deep. The steep angled stairs can be hard to navigate and there are missing flat textures.

Map08: Really like this Tricks and Traps inspired map. Only thing I can see might be an issue is the central doors being too slow to open – I would make them fast or just have them all open simultaneously and permanently as the map starts.

Map09: Nice map – the iron pillars in the blood corridor might snag players movements though. Corridors may be too tight too.

Map10: This one is full of texturing bugs – missing flats and line textures as well as tutti-frutti. Also there are switches that don't appear to do anything. (cosmetic?) The layout itself might be a bit too open.

Map11: It's a Greenwar(?) clone, so I'm sure it will be fine for dm.

Map12: An Entryway remix – some areas may be too cramped in places, otherwise seems good.

As for the project as a whole, though they are not necessary if we are going to include exit rooms, there should be one in every map to be consistent.

Also regarding map formats - if you want this to work with all three popular multiplayer ports (Odamex, ZDaemon and Zandernum) then all the maps will have to be Boom format (I think, I'm not sure exactly what Odamex can support) - so you are either going to have to cut Odamex support or change/remove the ones with ZDoom stuff.

Since this beta is public, then if a Zandronum server isn't already up for the pack, I can make one.

edit: server is up. It's called :: [BE] New York :: Choo Choo Cha' Boogie! Deathmatch Revival Beta 3
edit2: will be changing name to Beta 2 since it's technically Beta 2... ...when I get around to it.

Captain Toenail said:

Also regarding map formats - if you want this to work with all three popular multiplayer ports (Odamex, ZDaemon and Zandernum) then all the maps will have to be Boom format (I think, I'm not sure exactly what Odamex can support) - so you are either going to have to cut Odamex support or change/remove the ones with ZDoom stuff.

I'm happy to say that Odamex has support for most ZDoom functions - Aside from the floor flats on the walls causing tutti-frutti, which it does in Zdaemon as well - Some mappers didn't realise only Zandronum supports that feature. But things like deep water and slopes are fine in Oda :)

Also, detailed feedback! Woohoo! Thank you CT.