Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Comparison of Doomsday and Risen3d

Does doomsday have any advantages over risen3d? The reason I switched was that risen3d has boom support, whilst still having models, high-res textures, etc. I haven't found anything yet which puts doomsday at an advantage, but if there's anything, I'd definitely like to know.

It depends largely on what your priorities are. However, a quick comparison of the published feature set on the respective websites of each port should give you more than enough to base a decision on.

Risen3d is based on a old version of Doomsday released nearly a decade ago now. Consequently it lacks all the features introduced since then. Conversely Doomsday doesn't yet have full BOOM support.

Saying that, I personally use several ports for different purposes.

DaniJ said:

Risen3d is based on a old version of Doomsday released nearly a decade ago now.

Over a decade now; Risen3D was forked off Doomsday 1.7.8, which was released on 16/03/2003.

Although, you shouldn't come away with the impression that this makes Risen3D out dated. It has been worked on during that time and a new version came out only last week.

The ports do have a common ancestor but they have both evolved since then.

Maybe I just haven't figured out how, but I never could get Risen3D to run without smooth textures / sprites. Whereas it's pretty easy to get Doomsday to do the same.

Although neither seems able to run in software mode; hence they're not very attractive to me. Although I will admit that long before I discovered this community, and with it ZDoom & Chocolate Doom, I was a Doomsday fanboy.

schwerpunk said:

Although I will admit that long before I discovered this community, and with it ZDoom & Chocolate Doom, I was a Doomsday fanboy.

Unshakable Doomsday fanboy here, even after discovering a wealth of other source ports and "flavours" of Doom through Doomworld. And I don't even use it for the 3D model support and shit.

I'll just mention the pros/differences of both ports, from my perspective.

RISEN3D ...

Supports most software mapping "tricks".
Supports true 3D floors.
Excellent proprietary scripting for Risen3D maps.
Full Boom and near full MBF support.

DoomsDay/JDoom ...

Enhanced graphics effects like blended animations.

While on the subject, and I'm sure this has been mentioned before ... how does one remove the mouse latency in JDoom ?

Doomsday doesn't use the "J" names anymore. It's not jDoom or jHexen, it's just Doomsday with the Doom or Hexen plugins.