Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

194 sounds fine to me, although I do miss some of the speed of the original.
By rushed, I'm assuming you're referring to the semiquaver guitar solos, which on Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, is understandable, and that is what we're targeting here, though I did the majority of listening to the song on SGM, with the occasional precautionary check on Microsoft just to make sure.

The guitar solos actually sounded fine at 220, it was the drums that felt rushed on the fast parts. I like Dragonforce as much as the next guy, but there's something about really fast gm drums that just don't seem to sit well. That being said, you might be able to keep it over 200 by tweaking the velocity down on the "skank" beats during the fast parts. I think it's the semi-syncopated beat that sounds rushed. I don't know, it's really up to you in the end but these were just my first impressions :) It might actually fit the map better at a faster speed, who knows? But personally, I like it anywhere from 190 to 196, 194 being the most pleasing to my ears. Great melodies, btw.

Actually I've listened to it at 194 a few more times and it's growing on me. Not missing the speed so much now. I don't play drums at all hence I don't know many interesting fills, which is why a lot of them are unvaried, which is the only gripe I have with the song itself. The one in the middle section was entire guess work.
But that's what I love about MIDI. If this was real audio it would have the bass part, the keyboards and a heavily simplified guitar part. Not really a song is it?

Great melodies, btw.

Thank you :)

Would my unsigned track be able to fit in MAP13? I think it fits, and I'll turn the MIDI into a full song if it gets a slot.

Here's something for map19

Lost In Place

It's more atmospheric than musical, and I wanted some opinions before I add a second half. If anyone wants to improve this, you are all more than welcome if you're not too busy finishing up your own songs. It's not fully fleshed out, but here it is so far.

Jimmy91 said:

MAP25 is all yours. Btw, I just read back over the thread and realized that you wanted to claim the intermission track ages ago, and I spectacularly overlooked your request... just want to apologize for that. :( Do let me know if you ever want to take another crack at the MIDI you were writing for it, I kinda feel like my negligence is why you ran out of inspiration with it. :S

Eh, that's okay. That was Nihility's Edge I was working on for the intermission anyway, so it's not a big loss. It's true that I'm at a standstill with the track, but that's not your fault - it's more because I don't entirely know what to do with it at the moment. I'll work on refining Sepulchral and finishing the Map25 track in the meantime. On the other hand, if anyone wants to play with Nihility's Edge themselves, I'll repost the link. Whoever does that can also have a co-writing credit:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8cwnufh7qa49wth

Lippeth: So far, I think your new track is turning out pretty well. It should fit Map19 just fine once it's finished. It's sufficiently dark and ominous, and I like the use of piano. Nothing wrong with a piano in Doom when it's used well.

Mr. Freeze: Okey dokey, assigned. :) Eager to see what you can do with it.

Eris Falling: Your MIDI is currently on the archive, but at the original tempo of 210. Shall I make a quick edit to it and change it to 194? (Or is that something you'd prefer to do in case you need to make any more changes.)

Lippeth: I'm really liking the direction this is headed. :D Please do finish it! Should be a very nice fit for MAP19. ;)

Hellish Godzilla, I might take a crack at Nihility's Edge if no one minds. It's brewing with with excellent ideas. It may come out similar, or a whole new beast.

I have a rare full day off from both jobs tomorrow, so it should definitely be a productive one.

And as far as map17 goes, there are a few minor things I'd like to do with it still, but I'd rather continue onward with other songs and call Massacre Machine done.

Jimmy91 said:

Shall I make a quick edit to it and change it to 194? (Or is that something you'd prefer to do in case you need to make any more changes.)

As far as I know, there's nothing that needs doing to the track, so you can go ahead and change it :)
If there are further edits needed for some reason, my own version of the file is at 194.

Okay, Eris and Lippeth, your updates are on the archive. :)

---

Here's something silly. I made a dubstep song into a Princey track. Ended up sounding a lot like D_E1M7, so that means it could fit nicely in MAP10 or MAP18.

Fire Hive (2:03)

Lost In Place
EDIT: I get lazy sometimes and call something done when it's not.

Jimmy91, that sounds like something I'd hear walking down streets of the tourist friendly part of Russia. I really like it, in case the first sentence didn't make it apparent enough :)

Heh... thanks. :P

Lost in Place is still brilliant. I'd say that perhaps the discordant semitonal strings are perhaps a bit too prevalent right now, but really that's my only gripe. Can't fault it composition-wise. Consider it part of the project. :P

This is based off of a song I've already made, but it's changed pretty dramatically from where it started.

(link to shitty old version was here, see better version below)

It's also nowhere near done.. I need to make the drums a little different, they're too "african" sounding at the moment, I just wanted a loud pumping snare but it sounds funny. But it's on the way!

EDIT: Just went through listening to some of these MIDIs - Damn, you guys are good! I see there's another with Machine in the title. I guess mine can't be called 'Machine' then!

EDIT 2: Just went and listened to literally every single one. They're all totally brilliant and this thing is turning up awesome! but damn, Bucket's version of Go 2 It is just.. Omfg. That's one of (hell, if not THE) best Doom remix I've heard. Holy hell. I have one tiny suggestion. Add a splash cymbal at the very beginning so it loops slightly smoother. Other than that, bravo man!

Here's an older unused midi of mine that I'd like to contribute to the project, for no specific map at this point. It may need work, so Bucket, you're more than welcome to revitalize this track, or tell me what needs to be done with it.

Death Mask

yakfak said:

I've made many MIDIs in my life, lost most of them, but here are a few recent things which are more pensive and funk inclined; 1 2 3

This is a really late response (and slightly off topic) but that 2nd midi sounds just like something out of a "cyriak" video.. I knew that style sounded familiar!

Lippeth said:

Here's an older unused midi of mine that I'd like to contribute to the project, for no specific map at this point. It may need work, so Bucket, you're more than welcome to revitalize this track, or tell me what needs to be done with it.

Death Mask

Wow, quite an emotion filled piece of music, it's very cool. Not what you'd expect to hear in Doom, but I think this could work really well in a gothic/mideival map. I like it!

EDIT: Here are 16 original MIDIs created by me, just for the hellavit: http://www.mediafire.com/?chi0x9pp7xa5rx6

Actually, Denied.mid is the only thing here that was actually written by me. The others are written by my friends Sam, Chris, and Mat and I simply MIDIfied their songs, but I think some of them are awesome for themed maps. Use these in maps, upload them to the powerhouse, do whatever with them :) I've used a few of them in Revenge of the 90s but they could suit a lot more than just that!

Oh and there's the full length AVGN theme randomly. There's one floating around on the net that is, rhythmically, a total abomination and I just had to fix it up. Anyway, I'll be glad if you guys find use for these.

Well, I've enchanced my map04 track a bit, but now bass in the beginning sounds too bad... FL Studio just got screwed up and now I can't edit MIDIs, though...
Need to reinstall it, so my map28 track will come sooner.
Edit: corrected some misspells

ClumsyDoomer said:

FL Studio just got screwed up and now I can't edit MIDIs, though...
Need to reinstall it, so my map28 track will come sooner.

This brings up an interesting question.. What are you all using to make your MIDIs? I use Guitar Pro 5.

Doomkid92 said:

This brings up an interesting question.. What are you all using to make your MIDIs? I use Guitar Pro 5.

Logic Pro 9. It's a headache switching back and forth between Mac and PC, but eh, first world problems.

Cakewalk 6.0. It's so old I have to run it from a netbook. But I haven't yet found a superior programs for MIDI composition, so...

It's about time I got into this project. Can I claim MAP20? I have something in the works :)

Edit: Will this fit anything?

As a Genesis fan, I suppose it's providence that "Genesis" is still unclaimed so I'll do something for that this week.

Lippeth said:

Death Mask

I like it as is.

I learned to use Guitar Pro 5 in a music class at school several years ago, and just like you guys, I just can't move past it as it seems to have everything I need. I tried GP6.. Maybe great for a newbie, but to me it just looks like a huge mess of unnecessary options.

stewboy said:

Edit: Will this fit anything?

Man, this is another really great MIDI. This would have suited TNT map31 perfectly, though I'm sure it could fit in plutonia. Almost has a somewhat jungle-ish feel with the flute.

Mr. Freeze said:

Title track demo. Tentatively named "A Path Beyond"
http://speedy.sh/NNmqr/D-Title.mid

Ultra-appropriate title riff!

Also, Bucket, if you's like to mess with some of my MIDIs I'd definitely welcome it, but only if you want to/think it's necessary :) I think minimalism suits Hunted pretty well, but maybe another midi could be morhped into something appropriate for an open slot.

Thanks, Bucket. I also want to say that I really like every one of your midi's and feel privileged to have my keyboard ramblings in the same project as yours. Not being weird or anything...

But your stuff holds up on its own very well.

Mr. Freeze said:

Title track demo. Tentatively named "A Path Beyond"
http://speedy.sh/NNmqr/D-Title.mid

Fits the mood I feel from the overall game very well! The only thing I would suggest is to hold out the last note a bit longer in case someone decides to wait and see if there are additional credits. A rare event but sometimes I'm guilty of sitting through the title screen waiting for demos or credits, or to just hear whatever song they've put there.

Not to turn this into a circlejerk, but I have much respect for your command of freeform textures and progressions. Loose compositions remind me of the Hexen soundtrack.

Now that my first final is out of the way, I've had a bit of time tonight to finish up the tracks I've been working on. First, here's the new one I've been doing for Map25. I'm not sure how it'll go over, but I think it works. The genre's a bit different - more of an electronic track than a metal or ambient one.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?94l3y72124699k1
Contemplate
1:44

And here's 'Sepulchral' with the drums reworked. I basically deleted everything and started over, except for a line when the synth and guitar come back in under the music box. Hopefully the music box sounds better, too, by the way.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k1by470g4lv2825

Lippeth said:

Hellish Godzilla, I might take a crack at Nihility's Edge if no one minds. It's brewing with with excellent ideas. It may come out similar, or a whole new beast.

By all means. If you're still feeling it, I'd really like to see what you can come up with.

Doomkid: I really like Denied. :D Should be a great fit for MAP11. Criticism-wise, I'd say some of the pitch wheels on the guitar seem a bit strange - might wanna double-check those. I also get the feeling that the second iteration of the beginning part could use a little something else in it. But fantastic job. :)

Lippeth: Honestly, that track really stands up on its own, great piece. :D Added to the list of unassigned tracks. Either you or anyone else is still welcome to make changes to it. :)

ClumsyDoomer: I think it's marginally better than before, but there still seems to be a lot of note clashing. The starting melody is in B, while the underlying bass tones are A, a whole step lower than they should be. Then those notes on the strings and choir really don't seem to fit all that well either. Sorry. :(

stewboy: Very, very nice MIDI - added to the first post. :D It's perhaps just a little piano-heavy to fit perfectly in Doom - perhaps you could make it a harpsichord or something, and lower the channel volume just the smallest bit?

Anyway, very interested to hear what you can cook up for MAP20. Your claim's been added. :)

Mr. Freeze: Very cool title track. :D Simple but really effective. Lippeth brings up a good point about the ending. I would also just say (superpicky time!) that the last bar on the strings should just be the low note.

Hellish Godzilla: "Contemplate"'s pretty damn good. :D I think it just needs a little extra repetition in the lead melodies to make sure they're catchy.

"Sepulchral" has definitely improved. Just needs a couple of tweaks here and there. Though I don't want to keep harrassing you to change it when I can't really describe what I think needs changing. Maybe I'll tweak it a bit myself, if I have your permission?

---

Here's another track, as yet unassigned. It was going to be in Jenesis but I didn't finish it. It might need some work done to it still.

Tower of Fire (4:24)