Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

new doomserver

i am building a server to run doom on, so far the OS is going to be %100 linux, no windows! also it will be running zdoom 1.22, unless 1.23 is out by the time it is done, and pure doom2. i will not run any pwads just plain old doom and doom2

I'm sorry but, it sounds retarded.

First off, the majority of us use windows.
Second, it's no fun without pwads like dwango5.

Better redo your math son

If you use windows you can still play on a linux server dudes. Ever hear of something called the TCP/IP protocol?

yea really, it can be a linux run OS. as long as zdoom and the doom2 Iwad are the same. The OS of a server does not need to be the same as a computer useing it, but the programs have to be the same. Also i have had little trouble with LINUX and my next system will be all linux. I would use windows but dont know much about networking, plus windows crashes much more. linux however is geared for it and my version sets it up almost automaticly. Also i am not going to run Pwads much, i hate haveing to find the pwads to play on a server, i may run them once and a wile. It may be a wile before i get it up and running, first i need a job to pay for the DSL.

That is the most horrible idea I have ever heard... it basically sounds like:
"Hey everybody! I have this cool idea in which I play crappy doom 2 levels in zdoom on a shitty OS! Awesome!"

Linux is a very good OS and normal doom2 levels are good too. I have played other levels, but i think it sucks to have to find a map just to play on a server and then return to find a new map has cycled. Also Linux is a better server OS than windows. all 3 main OS's have there good points. Mac is user friendly and good for graphics, but lacks compadiblity with older programs. Windos9x/NT/ME is user friendly, costumisable, and compadible, but it is unstable and expensive. Linux is highly stable, very costumisable, and FREE, but not user friendly u got to have computer knowage to use it well. Also why does it matter if i run linux as the server OS. you will see no difference in playing doom than if it was a win server. Also i said i will run some common pwads but only once in a wile

linux can be downloaded but it is huge. after all it is freeware. however to save time i payed for mine. $20 US will get u something good. if u get linux i recomend these mandrake Linux, Red hat, or openBSD. also u do have to partion ur hard drive and it has a boot loader, so u can choose to boot in linux or windows. i currently have both on this PC

i am building a server to run doom on, so far the OS is going to be %100 linux, no windows!

Are you going to run a zdaemon server? If so what's all the fuss? Just do as 90% of others do and run the bloody thing

I'm sorry but, it sounds retarded.

First off, the majority of us use windows.
Second, it's no fun without pwads like dwango5.

Better redo your math son

You can connect to linux servers using the windows client just fine. Arioch runs a Zdaemon server on his linux box sometimes and I've had no problems. Seems its you that is retarded.

If you're going to run a small server like sephiroth is doing then linux is ideal. It takes some getting used to, and you have to learn a few things about how the sytem works but the rewards are worth it.

linux can be downloaded but it is huge. after all it is freeware. however to save time i payed for mine. $20 US will get u something good. if u get linux i recomend these mandrake Linux, Red hat,

Redhat is the biggest distribution. It used to be good but the recent versions arent (I've heard a lot of complaints).
Mandrake is good for newbies, Debian is quite good once you have some experience of using linux.

or openBSD.

OpenBSD is not linux, it is a form of Unix. The systems are very similar, however.

yea i know openBSD is a unix like OS. but many programs that i can run in linux run in it too. many of my friends like it so i just recomended it. i use to have a older version of redhat and i did not like it. so i got mandrake linux and it works great for me

yea i know openBSD is a unix like OS. but many programs that i can run in linux run in it too. many of my friends like it so i just recomended it. i use to have a older version of redhat and i did not like it. so i got mandrake linux and it works great for me

not unix-like, it IS a form of unix.

History lesson time.

About 30 years ago some hackers at Bell Labs created a system called Unix. Anyway, yada yada, this became very popular and because the source code was available lots of different versions sprang up. There was the original (AT&T Unix), as well as lots of other distributions, such as BSD Unix (created at the University of California), Irix, Solaris/SunOS, etc. OpenBSD is derived from the BSD distribution. There are other surviving Unix distributions such as NetBSD and FreeBSD (open source projects) as well as the commercial Solaris and AIX which are used in high end servers.

Linus Torvalds created the Linux Kernel after he found himself unsatisfied with the OS on his PC (MS DOS/Windows). He created Linux as a Unix clone. In this sense, Linux is a Unix-like system but because it does not contain Unix code, it is not technically Unix. There arent many differences, however.