Life or death

What should I get?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?

• A PC-based notebook
    • An iBook
    • A new computer
    • Ice-cream

This poll is inspired by Liam's. I'm gonna get a graduation present too, so, hehe ;)

Anyway. Currently my family has one computer, PIII i think 500 or so MHz, which i'm using most of the time. But it would be a lot better to have two.

I'm going to uni next year, a notebook might be useful for taking notes and shit.

iBooks rule.

The notebook sounds nice, but these things are always ridiculously expensive.

Go for the iBook or another lap-top. I know I want one.

I'm going to uni next year, a notebook might be useful for taking notes and shit.

You'll likely need your own computer for writing assignments on and searching for info on the net.

Yeah but if he buys a really cool notebook he already has that PLUS something to carry to class.

The only advantage of a notebook is that it's portable. The rest are disadvantages: It has a small screen, a really crappy pointing device, and it's a lot worse than a computer one can get for the same money.

Heh, having too much choice sucks :)

Doom II Guy said:

Why? Believe me, have you ever used one? That's what my school uses and...yuck

And if your school used PCs you would hate PCs? Brilliant logic.

Macs in your school are most probably old, crappy and poorly configured. Doesn't mean all macs are like that.

Lament said:

Macs in your school are most probably old, crappy and poorly configured. Doesn't mean all macs are like that.

They are brand new (they just got them this year) and they are getting rid of them before next year because they are terrible. If they used PCs, why should I hate them? It doesn't matter what the school uses, as long as its a good computer.

Apple is actually pretty damn good when it comes to laptops, I'll give them that.

Doom II Guy said:

They are brand new (they just got them this year) and they are getting rid of them before next year because they are terrible. If they used PCs, why should I hate them? It doesn't matter what the school uses, as long as its a good computer.

Anyway, if you give me actual reasons why macs suck, i will be happy.

Yay!! Go Macs! Happy now? I don't see why your so defensive about Macs, but you prove to me how they're better. Aren't I allowed NOT to like them? Sure if I ran across a good one that's cool, but I wouldn't buy one I'll tell you that.

I'm actualy starting to take an interest in macs...they seem to be more effecient than PCs.

the_Danarchist said:

I'm actualy starting to take an interest in macs...they seem to be more effecient than PCs.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahhahaHAHAhAHhahahAHAHah
In what?

Lament said:

I don't want to prove you anything, I'm just wondering why you don't like macs.

Sorry but, who cares? Lets just end it at that.

Zaldron said:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahhahaHAHAhAHhahahAHAHah
In what?

Graphics rendering and speed. I also heard that there is some awesome music-making sofware that is out for Mac, and thats what I have a real interest in.

Hmm, seems that our friend pritch has gone back to his original spamming standard after a loong break :-)

the_Danarchist said:

Graphics rendering and speed.

HAHAhAHAHHAHAHAhahAHAHAHahahAHhAhAH

No.

Lament said:

Well, that's how they are at my school. But my mom's old PowerMac is still useful, in its own way.

Zaldron: Actually, he's right. I take it you've never even set your fingers on a Mac keyboard before, let alone used one constantly. In fact, that's what Macs are made for: graphic art and multimedia of all sorts. IBMs are called IBMs for a reason.

Plus, I don't see what the thing is about one being better than the other. If you ask me, one is better in some areas that the other isn't. Anybody that doesn't see it that way, may God pity your poor little soul. Believe me, I've used both, and they can be BOTH equally annoying at times.

Weedster said:

Zaldron: Actually, he's right. I take it you've never even set your fingers on a Mac keyboard before, let alone used one constantly. In fact, that's what Macs are made for: graphic art and multimedia of all sorts. IBMs are called IBMs for a reason.

No. Give me solid examples and I might believe you. And "IBM" is one plain, old term that means nothing today. I've fooled around with Macs, Alphas and Silicon stations before, and I really don't know what's so good about a Mac for artists. Just the single one-button mouse is enough to drive me nuts. And lets not talk about finding a decent Mac compatible tablet.

Zaldron said:

No.

Yes.

Give me solid examples and I might believe you.

Gladly. I'll give several.

One guy who sits behind in my English class at school makes his own music (orchestral, I might add, he's brilliant). He always talks to me about how much he enjoys his MIDI keyboard. I've heard some of his work. Let me just say that he'd make a more than decent living as a conductor. The instrumentation is wonderful, and this is coming from a guy who's more of a pop-culture lover than high-culture.

For movies, that same person made a short dramatic version of the play "Walden" for the post WWII era section of our English book. He had to bring his iBook to show it to us. Though not professionally done, the sound and picture was crystal clear. None of the MPEGS I've seen afterwards can even compare to the quality of an iMovie.

I can't really give much support on art, as I don't know anyone who is an artist by trade, but what little I have seen has totally blown my mind.

And "IBM" is one plain, old term that means nothing today.

IBM = International BUSINESS Machine. And it does mean something today. It's the term used for non-Macs; they'd probably be better known as PCs. Ever noticed how things either say "IBM Format" or "Macintosh Format" on some media (mainly Zip disks)? Well, there you go. IBMs were made for businesses to use (for accounting, databases, and such), so they don't have as good graphic capabilities as Macs.

I've fooled around with Macs before...

Obviously you haven't, and if you did, I don't call trying to use it for 5 seconds and then quitting as "fooling around". You might have tried the really old Macs, which I will even admit they needed some work, but the new Macs that I have seen have tremendous capabilities, and not just for multimedia anymore.

...and I really don't know what's so good about a Mac for artists.

See above.

Just the single one-button mouse is enough to drive me nuts.

Buy a seperate 2-button one then, it's not that hard. That's what my mom did for her laptop. Even then, it would be superfluous. Macs are made for only one-button.

Judging from your comments, I would conclude that you are very biased about Macs. I understand preferences, but saying someone is wrong while not even considering they might be right just isn't logical. I also still think you haven't had enough exposure to them. Believe me, I used to think the same way you did, then I moved in with my mom, who still owns a Mac, and found out they're not as bad I as I used to think they were.

So do yourself a favor and don't criticize someone just because of what your preferences are.

Weedster said:

I can't really give much support on art, as I don't know anyone who is an artist by trade, but what little I have seen has totally blown my mind.

Too bad. Your big long post is useless now.

I'm strictly talking about the graphical aspect. You only seem to have hands-on information about music composing. That's not what I was talking about. Macs are still alive for the artistic community just because Adobe keeps porting Photoshop. The 3D scene has long abandoned Macintosh. And the latest attempt to resurrect it failed miserably.

So do yourself a favor and don't criticize someone just because of what your preferences are.

That's what my mom did for her laptop

Same for you.

Macs: Art & design machines. PCs: Programming and business machines. That's about all there is to it.

Although I have noticed Macs becoming more of a 'trendy' thing. My sister and her live-in-boyfriend-cum-fiance boughtone of the new iMacs just a few weeks ago; I have a sneaking suspicion they just got it because the damn thing looks cute. My sister never has been the most rational person in the world...