Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

The Metal / Rock Music Fans

DoomUK said:

I've always had trouble getting into Sepultura's very early stuff. I know it's an odd to say for a death metal guy, but their sound was a bit directionless back in those says.

I interpret it as a proto-death metal sound, it has the pre-cursor of thrash being more pronounced. I'm partial to the rough recording sound they were using (probably wasn't on purpose though.)

I know a few who label early Sepultura as first-wave black metal. I dunno. I like it though. The lyrics on the early stuff is hilarious.

Sepultura - Necromancy

The mist is high in this night
Can feel the presence of death
Way to the mortuary so the deads will invoke
Corpses and skulls in my countour
See a corpse bloody with the face in cruciform
Now being from the wrath
Catch the skulls of a children, frozen and dismal
Coming with me
Creature, kill in name of Hell
The black mess is started, life's will terminate
With the wrath of the demons started the genocide
Wrath, in my corpus is born
Death, lost legions from Hell
Slaughter, you'll see in sacrifice
Skulls, are christians with blood

Necromancer
Dead's invoker
Necromancer
Dead's invoker

Wrath, odious, desire
In my corpus is born
The fates last, terror's spread
For a necros creature of
The crypts'

Same with Sarcofago. This is legendary: "If you are a false don't entry because you'll be burned and died"

Heh. They probably thought "If it sounds vaguely evil, put it in the song". The tenuous grasp of English makes it even worse/better.

Extreme metal is so easily parodied.

darkreaver said:

I know a few who label early Sepultura as first-wave black metal. I dunno. I like it though. The lyrics on the early stuff is hilarious.

Sepultura - Necromancy

The mist is high in this night
Can feel the presence of death
Way to the mortuary so the deads will invoke
Corpses and skulls in my countour
See a corpse bloody with the face in cruciform
Now being from the wrath
Catch the skulls of a children, frozen and dismal
Coming with me
Creature, kill in name of Hell
The black mess is started, life's will terminate
With the wrath of the demons started the genocide
Wrath, in my corpus is born
Death, lost legions from Hell
Slaughter, you'll see in sacrifice
Skulls, are christians with blood

Necromancer
Dead's invoker
Necromancer
Dead's invoker

Wrath, odious, desire
In my corpus is born
The fates last, terror's spread
For a necros creature of
The crypts'

Same with Sarcofago. This is legendary: "If you are a false don't entry because you'll be burned and died"

I agree, old school Sepultura's influence could be heard in Euroynomous's riffs for early Mayhem (Deathcrush). Interestingly, they claimed to be against them in a quote I read a long time ago. Definitely Sarcofago as well, they invented the corpse paint imagery the Scandinavians adopted.

darkreaver said:

Same with Sarcofago. This is legendary: "If you are a false don't entry because you'll be burned and died" [/B]

Also "She isn't more virgin, because was fucked by Satan"

that album is easily in my top 3 favorites of all time...

Ha, Darkthrone... I think the previous lp was cooler, but this new one still has awesome tracks like 'The ones you left behind' and 'Leave no cross unturned'. 'Valkyrie' is good, too. Ah, whom I'm fooling - all of Darkthrone's recording starting with F.O.A.D. are fucking killer, even highly praised Transilvanian Hunger (as well as any other bm-era album of theirs) doesn't come close to these in terms of coolness.

What really got me hooked now is Amorphis' newest effort, 'Circle'. Man, what a great album. And 'The wanderer' in particular's been haunting me for several days (unavailable on yt now, NB has crashed the party). Give it a listen, it won't disappoint.

A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are the best! I really dig Circle The Wagons too. Havent checked out the newest LP yet though. Only heard a couple of songs, and it sounded cool.

Speaking of bm stuff - I usually prefer experimental approach, though when I think of great 'original' and raw bm - this means I think of Clandestine Blaze, Mütiilation or early Deathspell Omega. I know that something of their fame may sound similar to Darkthrone (I've heard a term 'Darkthrone-wannabe' several times in some bm-oriented communities applied to DsO's non-avantgarde recordings as well), but with contemplations like these we can tell that all oldschool death metal sounds like Death or Morbid Angel. Everything has a starting point, and it's up to bands to explore further from it or to remain faithful to it. I don't care much.
So, in short - earlier Darkthrone is good but there are better, while later Darkthrone is something fresh and cool.

There are some "Darkthrone-wannabe" bands I really enjoy, and one of them is Katharsis. This song is basically Darkthrone ripp-off, except for the super melodic and atmospheric shredding at the end.

Also, let me recommend a couple of local bands I know (Oslo, Norway)!

Okkultokrati: a mix of punk, crust, rock, doom and metal, VERY awesome live band!

Obliteration: old school death metal with a twist. Very good.

Diskord: twisted old school death metal, I guess. Highly original.

Reggie-a said:

Burzum
Gorgoroth

I love the early Burzum albums, but you know, even the later ones were quasi-enjoyable.

I think Gorgoroth's Pentagram is a great album. Hat was a good vocalist.

Such a bummer. Serves as a warning to heavy drinkers.

Been listening to a lot of Slayer since I heard yesterday.

New Black Sabbath single released a month ago. The old magic is there but a little modified, as it ought to.

You never cease to amaze... Bethlehem is a sick stuff, that's for sure, and I like sick stuff. I especially dig this track, such hysteria makes me fucking orgasmic and craving to tear something apart, all at once. Their best track with Kvarforth (speaking of dsbm trend, heh) doing vox imo, even though it's a reinterpretaion of an older track of theirs.

Though in those dark musical fields there was also Katatonia, they two may be easily considered colleagues in what they were doing back then. I can't say for others, but I'm used to call both bands black/doom outfits. I mean, their original stuff.

You posted in the wrong thread. That's not metal. (edit: I just noticed the irony that saifi is the creator of this thread :P )

This is metal:

Check out "paragon" they are a good band.
"paragon" - Gods Of Thunder.
"Paragon" - Disconnected.
"Paragon" - Arise.

saifi said:

Check out "paragon" they are a good band.

Heh, I read this as "check out Paramore they are a good band".

Scolding not necessary.