Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antroid

Antroid's Doom LPs - currently between projects

Hello fine people of Doomworld. I'm Antroid, a russian guy who sucks at doom and also sucks at speaking english. So, naturally, I'm recording LPs of various Doom wads. I'm also sometimes joined by my friend, who could be described entirely the same as I just did myself, hipp0cat.

As of this very moment, there's only one comlete one, and it's very old. It is "Knee Deep in Phobos". Here's a link to the playlist. However, I also just started a new LP - it is of DTS-T. Refer to my second post in the thread for details, it's right down below.

Actually, there's some more short Doom LPs on my channel, but they were all done for the russian website iddqd.ru, and are all in russian, so I doubt there's any interest for those here on Doomworld. I think they're "unlisted", too, so if anyone's actually curious, I'll post the relevant links.

Also, you may ask, why am I not just posting these upcoming videos in the general videos thread? Well, I considered doing that, but there's never any discussion going on in there anymore, and I would dearly like a comment or two. The way the LP of DTS-T's turning out, I'm going on tangents about game design, level design and such, sparked by various seemingly insignificant moments in the wad. Even though it leads me to not play adequately at all and linger in rooms for tens of minutes talking (it's not that bad, I promise), I still feel like some of the things I touch on would be interesting to hear other people's opinions about. I think I'm going to outline those things in the posts where I post the videos themselves.
Edit: I decided against bringing up the points that interest me from the first two videos, because the hub-post for the LP is bloated as it is. I wasn't exactly subtle with them anyway. I'll do it next time!

P.S. Special thanks to St.Alfonzo and Tarnsman for the various Doom-related streams they're doing. Watching those pretty much sparked a bit of new inspiration in me, both for mapping and playing - and also returning to LPing. For better or for worse!

Cool. I liked hipp0cats AV LP. Maybe mostly because he sucked so bad :D

I hope you chose a WAD I`m interested in watching. GL!

Okay! I'm Let's Playing Deathmatcher's DTS-T!

Link to playlist!

Part 1.1:

(there's also parts 1.2, 2.1, 2.2)

Now, I hear some people thinking, why would he Let's play that wad? After all, it was pretty poorly received.

That's fair. I'm not denying many flaws of this wad pointed out in people's posts and reviews. However, even though usually I'm very critical and nitpicky, every so often a project comes along that has some metaphysical quality that helps me effectively set aside my own nitpickiness, close my eyes to all the flaws I would otherwise ridicule, and just enjoy the game for the ideas and passion that were put into it, however successfully. DTS-T is one such project. Of course, objectively speaking, it's not well-done by any means, but what it succeeds in is reminding me of how I was enjoying games when I was a little kid. I played a lot of terrible games among the good ones, and I never cared for the flaws. Sometimes I think that I actually prefer such a badly done product of imagination and inspiration to the polished, meticulously detailed and boring stuff that people usually praise.

So, with that in mind, the way I'm going into this LP is being fair, but honest with myself, and I can honestly say that despite the fact that I could write a novel about all the things done wrong in this wad, I can still let go of it all and enjoy it.

Concerning the first episode (consisting of parts 1.1 and 1.2). I haven't done any LP recording for a very long time, so I wasn't in the groove of it all for it, resulting in performance poorer than usual even for me, and I want to promise that the next time I record an episode I will concentrate better on everything, make an effort to not linger in place for too long and pay better attention. I think I will be able to record on weekends, so it'll probably be an hour of footage every week.

BIG CLOSING POST BY DEATHMATCHER!

BIG CLOSING POST BY ME!

darkreaver said:

Cool. I liked hipp0cats AV LP. Maybe mostly because he sucked so bad :D

I hope you chose a WAD I`m interested in watching. GL!

I don't really think that my choice for the first wad will receive much agreement and interest, but I genuinely wanted to play it, and when I tried, I found that I also really wanted to be able to share some of what I thought along the way. If anything, maybe it'll be helpful to the author.

Also, when I'm done with this, I'll do something else, so until then feel free to suggest a wad for my next LP, after DTS-T.

subscribed. I used to like hippocats videos, perhaps for all the wrong reasons. Alien Vendetta (aka excruciating pain for the player) :P

Cheers guys. Any opinions to share on the ramblings I had in the videos? I am particularly interested in the matter of streamlined and glaringly artificial game design versus bumpy, uneven, but natural-feeling game design. I started talking about it around that one Hell-Knight in that one black stone maze in the last map.

To make a bit of a rant thingy and outline my main point I'd like to know your opinions on: my thoughts are that I prefer when games have unexpectedly unexciting, unexpectedly hard, unexpectedly easy, etc. parts in them. The way things work in games usually is always predictable, both in the way of storyline and gameplay. The story will keep presenting challenges to the protagonist that will almost surely all be similiarly trivial, but time-consuming to overcome (often ending up feeling like the story trades realism for padding), and the gameplay will keep you "safe", where you can just lean back and drift along the ride, not expecting (and not getting) anything out of the ordinary in the difficulty or general level excitement. Basically, sometimes I like obstacles that are honestly annoying (but not to the point of unreasonable, leading to thousands of retries - more like a bit more laborous than usual), and I like a stretch of nothing happening, when you can just walk towards something and look around, without it having to build up tension or to lead up to some climactic scenario. I.e. I like things that can cause many people to decide that a game's not worth their time, that it's not delivering the constant fun and abandon it. I don't want to just play all games that come out for equal amounts of fun, I want to play those rare games that are more immersive due to their less conventional design and remember the experience, maybe be inspired by it. Do any of you have an opinion on this?

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Yeah i too liked hipp0cat's lp's is he ever going to come back? and i believe i am subscribed to you

His old channel was deleted by him and there's no getting those videos back (he didn't know it'd delete them all, he thought it would just close the channel). However some of them were saved by some people and uploaded to a separate channel. Plus he's made a channel for some LP's a while back that he tried doing, and now he made yet another for LPing Blue Eagle's panda game. If you go to my channel, in the "featured channels" section, there's all three of those hipp0cat-related channels there.

Cheers for doing a Let's Play of DTS-T, Antroid. :)

Today I sat down with Antroid to do the third recording of his Let's Play and gave some (hopefully interesting) tidbits about DTS-T's long development cycle. We covered map05 to map07 of the megawad, discussing lighting and texture choices and secret placement along the way.

As to what you mentioned in the second video: Yes, some parts of especially the early DTS-T levels are optional. I like it when a level has some percentage of optional rooms or content to explore, though not as much as in the original Doom levels, where some maps have only like 20% of the layout actually contributing to the way to the exit.

I guess I aimed for a slightly different approach in the later levels, but even there you will find the odd optional room along the way.

Deathmatcher said:

I like it when a level has some percentage of optional rooms or content to explore

I imagine pretty much everyone would agree with this sentiment, but I was being (or trying to be) more specific than just optional areas: optional areas that do not necessarily reward you for exploration, or even punish you for it. I expect the majority of people who have spent any time at all thinking about game design to agressively disagree here, but I think those make things more interesting. After all, it's only natural to wonder sometimes whether it is worth going somewhere or if it's too dangerous - I mean, of course, for a hero in a scenario like that, with dangers aplenty and a quest of some sort. And the same goes for exploring some area off the beaten path and wondering "what was the point of it". That is a question that can really only be asked when you're not immersed in a game and constantly analyzing the design. If you think about it, how often is some random room going to contain something useful, and how often it would be completely irrelevant to your quest (once again, imagining yourself in the shoes of a real person in a video game-like situation)?

The way people talk about this, "waah waah this game doesn't reward exploration", just sounds so entitled to me. Like people are making the game a huge favor just by bothering to play it. I honestly think that the fact that I have explored an area and now know what's in there is all the reward for exploration I want.

Also yeah, another hour-and-one-third episode (possibly divided into parts) coming out sometime tomorrow, ahead of schedule (and with it another number of points I would love to discuss but that people are going to completely ignore). This doesn't mean of course that I'm not going to try and record with hipp0cat on the weekend like we would normally do.

Heeey! Parts 2.1 and 2.2 are here!

The wad continues to be the nostalgic and old videogamey-feeling experience that I expect it to be by now, and Deathmatcher, as a guest commentator instead of hipp0cat, provides interesting trivia here and there and explores all the different ways to say "I forgot to give a fuck" when asked about some of the flaws (of course I'm saying this all in good fun!). It's an interesting experience having the author here, and it's definitely good to help people see a bit of the actual person behind this wad, lest they just think of him as some random cyberspace personality that they don't have to respect like a real human being (I'm assuming you're a real human being, Deathmatcher, unless your Skype avatar is somoene else's photo).

I was going to write out some more discussion points again but seeing how that doesn't really work, I thought of an alternative: after I finish DTS-T, I'm going to do an epilogue of sorts, "What we can learn from DTS-T" or "What DTS-T made me think about" or something of that nature.

Also, to repeat myself here, if anyone has any wad they'd like to see me play after DTS-T, feel free to suggest them and I'll consider them all (well, except for the ones that I've played already because that wouldn't be interesting probably). And if anyone wants to stretch their speaking muscles, you can hit me up on skype - "theoneandonlyantroid" - and we can try to arrange some guest commentary. Of course, I'm not expecting any response from you lazy asses, but it doesn't hurt to get the suggestion out there.

The whole thread is going to be just posts by me one after another, isn't it? Well OK then!

Anyway, Part 3.1 and Part 3.2 are up! hipp0cat returns as the co-commentator, and I go on tangents completely unrelated to the wad or pretty much anything, and even when I talk about level design yet again I can't word my incredibly in-depth and thought-provoking opinions eloquently enough for even hipp0cat to really understand what the hell I'm talking about. See if you're up to the challenge!

I think your videos are easily enjoyable! =)

But why you didn't make this thread to WADs & Mods?

Katamori said:

I think your videos are easily enjoyable! =)

But why you didn't make this thread to WADs & Mods?

Thanks. And, well, I just thought that since the general videos and screenshots threads are in General, it was the logical place to make the thread. It's not focused on any one wad, since I'll be doing something else after DTS-T, for example D2TWiD (probably by myself) and eventually D2iNO (hopefully with hipp0cat). Although now that I looked, your and Capellan's threads are in fact in WADs&Mods. Should I try to get it moved, do you think?

Just watched part 1 of this playthrough. I enjoyed the commentary and the witty repartee. I noticed when you first saved the game that you had a savegame called FUCK! and I was wondering what wad that savegamne came from. Either a Terry wad, or Sunder perhaps?

As to DTS-T itself, I agree with this sentiment:

Antroid said:

Sometimes I think that I actually prefer such a badly done product of imagination and inspiration to the polished, meticulously detailed and boring stuff that people usually praise.

I didn't finish the whole wad, but I liked the creativity and the uniqueness of it. You were never quite sure what was coming next and some parts of it were actually really good. I am glad this project is getting some love.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Just watched part 1 of this playthrough. I enjoyed the commentary and the witty repartee. I noticed when you first saved the game that you had a savegame called FUCK! and I was wondering what wad that savegamne came from. Either a Terry wad, or Sunder perhaps?

Hah. It's actualy "FUCK1" and it's from the same map29 for D2INO of my own creation that a thumbnail with lots of SKIN textures was from. I was quickly sick and tired of playing it again and again while testing for ammo and health balance, you see.

Also, I'll try to get the thread moved into w&m I guess.

Okay, fraggle didn't respond to my request to move the thread so it'll have to wait since I don't want to bother every global mod about it, or bother fraggle again and again.

In any case, here's PART 4.1!!! and PART 4.2!!!, in which Magnesium Fluoride (one of my subscribers from youtube) assumes the role of guest-commentator.
There won't be a weekend video with hipp0cat since I'll be out of town on the weekend, so the next video is probably coming in a week.

Hey Antroid,

I found about you through Katamori. I enjoy your sarcastic style and commentaries on the levels you're playing. Even when I'm not mapping (which is never, or at least it should be, considering how many projects I'm involved in), I love hearing other people's thoughts on level design, especially if they're mappers themselves (mad props to anyone who can identify Doom textures by name without having to look them up). I also liked when you have your 'special' guest commentator, hipp0cat on - he's a great foil, lol.

Also, you keep mentioning your English isn't excellent. You need to have more confidence in this area - I know native English speakers here in Canada whose vocabularies and command of the language don't measure up to your own, even if they may have some more facility with simple expressions (which are more cultural than anything).

P.S. Just finished your Doom LPs and now going through your Turok 2 and Gunman LPs. Great choices.
P.P.S. One thing I prefer in your LPs over Katamori's is that you do make some use of your native tongue. Hell, you've learned my language, so I may as well learn some of yours!

schwerpunk said:

P.P.S. One thing I prefer in your LPs over Katamori's is that you do make some use of your native tongue. Hell, you've learned my language, so I may as well learn some of yours!

Wow, that's not a bad idea! Somehow, I didn't want to do that, actually I've never evenn thought of that! However, sometimes I said some Hungarian words by accident (like "Hoppá" that means "Oops")

schwerpunk said:

P.S. Just finished your Doom LPs and now going through your Turok 2 and Gunman LPs. Great choices.

Turok 2 is like my most favoritest FPS of all time, and gunman was just ridiculous enough for me to want to show it to hipp0cat. Although the gunman one isn't finished, but it isn't really abandoned, we might get around to it sometime.
Also, I think that I only speak russian in my LPs when I ask hipp0cat some english word I forgot... Or when a swear comes out unintentionally, hah.

Anyway thanks, glad to hear that people enjoy this stuff. I think the next pair of videos should happen around wednesday, Deathmatcher will probably be back by that time and I will try to rope him into guesting some more.

Also thanks to Katamori for apparently spreading the word or something :D

I want to watch you to play through the last episode of DTS-T! what should I do? wait? :(

so, I saw some of your DTS-T LP videos and it was fun, but sometimes it is boring to watch you to run from one corner of a room to another and again just because you are just talking about something. It would be better if you would continue fighting and progress through the maps while you talk.

What happened to hippocat's vidoes? are those ever going to be avalible again, on youtube or somewhere else ?
Bad that you exchanged hippocat with someone else.. I would like to hear his reaction on the last episode, especialy the puzzle part, or to even even see him playing that.

Antroid said:

Also thanks to Katamori for apparently spreading the word or something :D

Doom Let's Players around the world, unite! :D

I mean, you're welcome =)

Sokoro said:

I want to watch you to play through the last episode of DTS-T! what should I do? wait? :(

so, I saw some of your DTS-T LP videos and it was fun, but sometimes it is boring to watch you to run from one corner of a room to another and again just because you are just talking about something. It would be better if you would continue fighting and progress through the maps while you talk.

What happened to hippocat's vidoes? are those ever going to be avalible again, on youtube or somewhere else ?
Bad that you exchanged hippocat with someone else.. I would like to hear his reaction on the last episode, especialy the puzzle part, or to even even see him playing that.

1) yeah you'll have to wait some, I'm doing videos at a somewhat regular schedule, but it sometimes depends on the availability of co-commentators;

2) it's hard to talk about something elaborate and pay attention to playing, but I've been trying to stop doing the "run around a room for 40 minutes" thing, it should have been getting better as the LP progressed so far;

3) hipp0cat's old videos are all deleted but there's a channel with some that were backed up by various people, you can find links on my channel or hipp0cat's new one;

4) I didn't "exchange" hipp0cat, I'm just alternating between him and other people. Worry not, I aim to make sure that he witnesses at least the beginning of episode four and also that one controversial part that everyone was talking about, and possibly more of it.

Here's another update, in which I set out to prove how wrong all of you who say my English is okay really are.
Three parts this time!
You could probably only watch the first two, the third is pretty much 20 minutes of nothing, just me chatting with Deathmatcher while running around that same elevator room and later an area from a previous level. Nothing new from the actual wad is shown in 5.3 so unless you're here for my incredibly profound thoughts, you can probably skip it.

Episode 6 is done! This time it's the long awaited return of hipp0cat. I'm pretty happy about this episode, honestly. I think it turned out well.

Also the first video of the pair has the best thumbnail ever so I'll embed it!

And here's part 6.2!

PART 7.1 and PART 7.2 are up!
Today we beat the secret level, and a level that was imfamous in the old DTS-T thread for requiring the player to "run back and forth through it multiple times, each time having to solve the same puzzle". Turns out "solving the puzzle" means pressing a switch (do Doom players really think of such things as puzzles?), and the whole sequence is far from as horrible as people made it out to be. I'm really enjoying the third episode so far, and apparently there's more of it still coming (and here I thought this level would be the final ep3 level), which I honestly can't wait to get to play. Hopefully next time I'll once again regain my ability to speak properly and coherently. Just gotta avoid playing shitty games the whole day before doing the recording, I suppose (if you're confused, I elaborate in the videos somewhere)...

Ah, someone who is more enthusiastic than my LP test videos back last November. Cool stuff.

Ahead of schedule comes episode 8 starring hipp0cat as my guest!
PART 8.1!
PART 8.2!
Seeing as I really want to play the next level as soon as possible, we'll record another episode today and it'll be available, probably, this time tomorrow.

PART 9.1!!
PART 9.2!!
So, here we have yet another episode, and it's actually much better than the two previous ones! Going into this without almost a day's worth of pent-up frustrations works wonders: I almost don't die, and I talk much more fluently. Even the wad has some of it's best moments (so far) in this episode! We're done with Episode 3, the space station and surrounding areas... which, funnily enough, was the one episode of this wad I had been initially looking forward to the least. Don't know why, but maybe I was expecting yet another boring, generic, idealess, uninspired techbase like many people make. Probably full of the "silver" textures and one or two colors to complement them, or quake 2 style. Thankfully, I was proven completely wrong, and for some reason or other this has been probably one of my favorite sets of techbase-style levels I've ever played in Doom. I think it has to do with the fact which I noticed a long time ago but never managed to express as well as I wished. Basically, this is how you make interesting techbases: you don't just make a random level layout that could easily be retextured into any sort of style and then fill it with techbase-style detail and such (I'm looking at you, certain wad with 20 samey techbase levels). No, the levels aren't totally independent of their theme, and they never should be. Here, you can expect to find some interesting and often unique piece of machinery or just general futuristic decoration that looks genuinely like it is something real, no matter how fantastic or strange it actually is, producing a leagues better effect of immersion and keeping me interested throughout, unlike some boring utterly generic techbases where the most distinct feature of a room that I can hope to find is the basic shape of random pointless architecture, or the color of stupidly and irrationally placed lights (I'm looking at you... you know what you are. Still the same one).

Oh, and lest I forget, we also make a foray into episode four, beating Vivarium and experiencing the utterly brilliant reintroduction to archviles... that is, while it's a grand idea that managed to put me into mild hysteria for several memorable seconds, it doesn't work quite as well as it should and isn't as scary as it seems due to either poor planning or poor monster AI, likely a combination of both. Still, it produced a moment that I would dare to proclaim an instant classic of my and hipp0cat's collective LP history.

What is this? More videos? Hell yeah! This time I got Deathmatcher on board yet again and we played two freaking hours at once. Which meant splitting it into 4 parts. That was "fun" to render and upload.

PART 10.1
PART 10.2
Part 10.3 goes embedded because what the hell is up with the thumbnail? Why do I have two plasmaguns???

PART 10.4