Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dialgaofpower

Realm667 should have packs for all their stuff.

Should this happen?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should this happen?

• No way!
    • F*** YEAH!

Now, keep in mind, this is MY opinion, probably not yours. You might call this stupid and/or a waste of time, but you want to know what else is stupid!? Having to got to every single page and downloading everything one by one and then stuffing it all into doomseeker! It would be WAAAAY easier if they weapons packs, texture packs, item packs, and monster packs instead of having everyone waste their time clicking and clicking and clicking! It's better to download one huge file, rather than have to download 9000! And, in case you did not know (Although I don't see why you would NOT know.), I think they should stuff their things into packs by type.

Dialgaofpower said:

Now, keep in mind, this is MY opinion, probably not yours. You might call this stupid and/or a waste of time, but you want to know what else is stupid!? Having to got to every single page and downloading everything one by one and then stuffing it all into doomseeker! It would be WAAAAY easier if they weapons packs, texture packs, item packs, and monster packs instead of having everyone waste their time clicking and clicking and clicking! It's better to download one huge file, rather than have to download 9000! And, in case you did not know (Although I don't see why you would NOT know.), I think they should stuff their things into packs by type.

Why on earth are you trying to load all of them together? Importing 30,000 of everything is just going to be a clusterfuck. You're probably just going to end up with conflicts anyway, especially from the texture packs. Just figure out which ones you actually want and use those.

You know what esselfortium? There will be packs for each category of each style. You can download the doom, hexen/heritic, or strife styles if you want, or just get the weapon packs, for example. Or if you want to, you can just download a gajillion files one by one.

Stuff is already put into pack when appropriate. For example there's a dark imp pack, because there are seventy-five different dark imps out there (seventy-six on leap years) and they'd just spam the listings otherwise.

Past experience has shown that mods that indiscriminately add everything the modder grabbed are of a much lesser quality than mods where the additional content was carefully picked according to what would actually fit the mod's design goals. Not having to download tons of monsters you aren't interested in when all you want is to put some roaches in a sewer is a better service than allowing lazy "modders" to create yet another random replacer which everybody will either ignore or deride.

Dialgaofpower said:

There will be packs for each category of each style. You can download the doom, hexen/heritic, or strife styles if you want, or just get the weapon packs, for example. Or if you want to, you can just download a gajillion files one by one.

Given that there's a degree of overlap between the different styles, we'd first have to arrive at some consensus as to which wad can go where, then someone has to find time to make the packs - which will no doubt be criticized for their perceived shortcomings. I'd rather to cherry-pick the Realm's umptillion files to create a pack that meets my needs than trim a themed compilation that's 99% surplus to requirements.

Gez said:

Stuff is already put into pack when appropriate. For example there's a dark imp pack, because there are seventy-five different dark imps out there (seventy-six on leap years) and they'd just spam the listings otherwise.

Past experience has shown that mods that indiscriminately add everything the modder grabbed are of a much lesser quality than mods where the additional content was carefully picked according to what would actually fit the mod's design goals. Not having to download tons of monsters you aren't interested in when all you want is to put some roaches in a sewer is a better service than allowing lazy "modders" to create yet another random replacer which everybody will either ignore or deride.

this. i`m put off by mods that cram every single monster and weapon into a map, whether it fits the style or not.

perhaps tormentor could just make a few big zip files with the whole individual files of monsters, weapons and so on for the lazy.

Personally I don't want to download a massive pack every time with, for example all monsters, only
to find that one or two monsters have been added to my previous download. From that point of
view the repository is quite alright.

However, it definitely would be an improvement if dates could be included when a certain item is added
and then be searchable by date.

Kappes Buur said:

However, it definitely would be an improvement if dates could be included when a certain item is added
and then be searchable by date.

Although it's not "in your face", there is this page, from which you can view the categorized repository entries. The entries have addition dates, a description (well not all of them, but some), and a download link. And if something is new, it'd have like a blue "banner" with the word "NEW" written on it (See here, for example). You can sort the list of entries by name, addition date or hits. There is also a search feature.

I don't get the backlash. I'd find it much more convenient to be able to download big packs at once and then pick the resources I want to use than download things one by one; especially as the realm667 UI isn't so hot for checking out multiple assets at once. If you don't share my point of view, it's not as if adding packs would remove the option to download things separately.

Not much difference from texture packs. Carefully selecting textures one by one works sometimes when you've got a very precise idea of what you want to do, but generally speaking I'd rather pick everything and trim down unused stuff later.

Seconded. If there's one thing we don't need, it's Aeons of Death on steroids and reproducing like bacteria.

If you just organize stuff in a halfway sensible directory tree, so that bits and pieces or even entire hierachies can be downloaded in one shot (with FTP client or wget or something), then nobody need "packs". Hell, then you don't even need to update some "dark imp" ZIP file every Tuesday when someone releases another modified version. Just just plop the new one in the /monsters/doom/darkimp directory, along with a TXT file that explains wtf it is, and you're done.