Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom 3: Phobos

DooM_RO said:

Not quite as wholesome as the last but still very good. How is work on it going? Do you think it might come out this year? How much of Phase 1 is done and are we going to get another devblog? Finally, do you think this can compete for a Cacoward?

Do the Cacoward rules permit unfinished, non-Doom, non-Heretic or non-Hexen-related projects? If so, feel free to nominate it.

Work is going well. Shaviro and geX have recently compiled a detailed story document, which has been shared with the rest of the team. The maps are all coming together nicely. Action and monster placement is being worked on fastidiously by Caffeine Freak.

No sign of the finish line yet, sorry. But expect awesomeness.

DoomUK said:

Do the Cacoward rules permit unfinished, non-Doom, non-Heretic or non-Hexen-related projects? If so, feel free to nominate it.

It is Doom.

Will there also be a OS X or Linux game binary? Though I'll still play it on my gaming PC.

printz said:

It is Doom.

In our hearts, maybe. But I don't recall there ever being a Doom 3 mod in the Cacowards.

Too early to speak about non-Windows versions of Phobos. I'm going to tentatively say no.

DoomUK said:

In our hearts, maybe. But I don't recall there ever being a Doom 3 mod in the Cacowards.

Too early to speak about non-Windows versions of Phobos. I'm going to tentatively say no.

Probably because there was never a worthy Doom 3 mod to begin with - at least not a map pack. The Dark Mod doesn't count.

DooM_RO said:

Probably because there was never a worthy Doom 3 mod to begin with - at least not a map pack.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Phobos and Hexen: EoC are the only two ambitious projects that have stood the test of time - many others have been started but abandoned over the years. There's been a handful of pretty good standalone maps made, and certain mods which supposedly make Doom 3 "prettier", but that's about it.

Doom 3 modding has never taken off in the same way Doom modding has. I can't ascribe the lack of interest to the complexities of working with a more modern engine, because there's a myriad of HL2/Source mods out there for example.

DoomUK said:

I think that's a fair assessment.

Phobos and Hexen: EoC are the only two ambitious projects that have stood the test of time - many others have been started but abandoned over the years. There's been a handful of pretty good standalone maps made, and certain mods which supposedly make Doom 3 "prettier", but that's about it.

Doom 3 modding has never taken off in the same way Doom modding has. I can't ascribe the lack of interest to the complexities of working with a more modern engine, because there's a myriad of HL2/Source mods out there for example.

Probably because Id never really promoted it. If I were Id, I would host a modding site with a forum and annual contests. If they had done that, it would have been much more popular, I'm sure.

And I do think it's because of the complexity. I consider mapping for Doom to be a kind of "proto-minecraft". Very easy to use and the minimalistic style becomes better with age. Doom 3 is not particularly easy to map for and the opinion on the game has always been divided anyway.

DoomUK said:

Aaannnd, another new screenshot:-

Mars City Living Quarters

So pretty! You see guys? Doom 3 HAS potential. It's just that Id failed to use the full potential of Doom 3 to make a (truly) worthy sequel (probably because of internal strife and hardware limitations). Kinda feels like the mall level from SS2. It's such a shame that so few people know about this... What if I also started a thread on the Beth forums? Would you like that?

DoomUK said:

Aaannnd, another new screenshot:-

Mars City Living Quarters

That's getting better and better. =)
During my first playthrough I expected to find some buildings and more outside areas on Doom 3 Mars "city" (like in the E3 Demo), even if it were only visible from inside another building, I was disappointed. =(

DooM_RO said:

Uuuh, what reason would they have to C&D?

Are you setting me up for the next joke, or am I just too far ahead of you?

LkMax said:

During my first playthrough I expected to find some buildings and more outside areas on Doom 3 Mars "city" (like in the E3 Demo), even if it were only visible from inside another building, I was disappointed. =(

We've always wanted to have more of the "city" part of Mars City. Indeed, the alpha/E3 demo was partly what encouraged us to do this. You can rest assured that you'll see much more of it than you did in Doom 3.

The devs have confirmed on their Twitter page that they have just reached Phase 2! Congratulations Team Future!

Again, you can read all about phases in Devblog #12.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/phobos/news/devblog-12-the-greater-good

And here is the source for the news.
https://twitter.com/Doom3Phobos/status/331062544515096576

This would have been the perfect time for a devblog, especially since the last one was almost one year ago but I'm sure you know better!

Also, will you permit us to use your assets in future mods?If so, will you also release the assets from the last 2 episodes? It would be a shame to let all that work go to waste. Your mod might kickstart a new generation of Doom 3 mappers and I imagine the new textures/models etc. would come in handy.

Keep it up, guys. There's hardly any Doom 3 mods out there and this one is looking more and more like a contender for the best one!

the project seems move on quite a lot since my last visit, well done!! the graphic and the design of environment have improved a lot!! like the slight tone down/toony look of it, not to say it looks cartoony, but the shader exhibit a certain smooth look to it and the graphic looks more vibrant while still remains doom like. in short, i like it!!

oh, how much texture from doom 3 or even the old doom have you reuse here??

I have been following this mod for a few years, very excited for the release, whenever it comes. Almost feels like I'm waiting for Doom 3.5 since Doom 4 is god knows where. Keep up the great work!

Things are going pretty great.
I wrote a little something about what we're currently doing on our facebook page.

It's really rewarding to go back and fix all the problems that have bothered us throughout the years. At this point we have so much content already made that it's easy to go back and add/rework content. The ratio between time spent and additional value is very "profitable" at this point. Not that this will go on forever. Phase 2 is the rough process where we go through the levels and correct the larger mistakes, fill in the more glaring holes etc. Phase 3 won't change much in terms of this.

I've already read that :P, very interesting but I wish I could see a before/after comparison shot. How long do you expect this phase to last, is it reasonable to expect a release this year?

I know this is for vanilla D3 but will it work with the BFG edition? I have no idea where my retail copy of D3 is!

I guess this mod will most likely be short, hopefully as long as the RoE expansion.