Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

One God or two?

Scientist said:

I just wanted to explain why people might feel drawn towards christianity.

Could also be because they've studied the outside world enough to find so many things pointing to a greater design than complete random happening.

Really, you'd think science would turn more people on to the idea of a creator.

orion said:

after all, all we do is destroy things, people, other creatures that caused us no harm, and resources.

Er, yeah, a few people do, I guess... maybe... actually, no.

Lüt said:

Could also be because they've studied the outside world enough to find so many things pointing to a greater design than complete random happening.

Really, you'd think science would turn more people on to the idea of a creator.

Really? If study points to a creator why doesn't science acknowledge this?

Scientist said:

If you succeed to prove the existence of a so-called "supernatural" phenomenon, you will revolutionize all of science, gain enormous fame, and be awarded the Nobel Prize! Indeed, you will accomplish what most scientists only dream about. Considering the number of charlatans who operate today and the simplicity of most of their claims, it's very strange that none of them has thought of this. Actually, it's even more remarkable that scientists, who devote their entire lives to exploring the innermost secrets of nature, show little or no interest in investigating preternatural claims. They are the ones who ought to be most eager to do so. May it be that they're just plain bored of all the gibberish? (Remember that many of the claims are older than science itself and there has been plenty of time for evaluation.) So if the close-minded "white coats" are too ignorant to bother, why don't you take the chance?

Scientist said:

Really? If study points to a creator why doesn't science acknowledge this?

It does, you just need to find some scientists or books written by scientists who don't have predispositions against the concept of a creator and leave out such evidence/clues. I had tons of science books long ago pointing to a creator, sold 'em on ebay a few years back though.

Scientist said:

If you succeed to prove the existence of a so-called "supernatural" phenomenon, you will revolutionize all of science, gain enormous fame, and be awarded the Nobel Prize!

Actually, you'll be mostly ignored and shunned by people who can't stand the concept of a creator.

Lüt said:

Er, yeah, a few people do, I guess... maybe... actually, no.

hole in the ozone layer, cutting down of rain forests, species of animals being extinct and you're too blind to realise this all? too much time in your basement lut, too much.

orion said:

hole in the ozone layer, cutting down of rain forests, species of animals being extinct and you're too blind to realise this all? too much time in your basement lut, too much.

Wow you picked a few bad things out of the thousands of good things people have done to base your entire opinion of humanity on. Higher levels of ignorance are rarely achieved, you must be very proud of yourself.

Anyway, if you believe what you say, set an example for the rest of us and kill yourself.

Lüt said:

Wow you picked a few bad things out of the thousands of good things people have done to base your entire opinion of humanity on. Higher levels of ignorance are rarely achieved, you must be very proud of yourself.

Anyway, if you believe what you say, set an example for the rest of us and kill yourself.

the only good things we ever done were done for us and not the planets sake.

Did I say I care about this planet? No, I'm not an environmentallist and couldn't give two fucks if it died tomorrow, I'm just not going to live in denial and think humans aren't bad for the planet.

First, I think we should respect animals, just because they were here as long as we've been, and they're still a living part of the world that keeps everything in balance (I sound a lot like a Green Peace hippy, I know). Also, I think the human race has screwed up a whole lot of things. Seriously L(u with the dots)t, what has the human race done that was good for the planet that wasn't messed up by us in the first place?

Human evolution led to the creation of Nicole Kidman. Therefore humanity and everything that we've ever done is justified. :)

Rellik said:

Human evolution led to the creation of Nicole Kidman. Therefore humanity and everything that we've ever done is justified. :)

Human evolution led to the creation of George Bush. Therefore Nicole Kidman's existance is justified. =P

In regards to the topic, whether there is one god or two...well...as far as I'm concerned, neither. There is no such things as god, gods, or goddesses. Live with it.

If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.
-Voltaire

Only that we did it wrong. We scare people with tales of Hell and suffering. The concept of "God" and "Civilization", IMO, should be interchangeable. It shouldn't be a set of rules and/or laws, but actually teach its servants to act rationally.

The concept of God needs to also be vengeful because in times of war and crises, the masses need to be convinced He is on their side,ready to smite the enemy, was strange in WWI and WWII because both British churches and German churches were telling the masses He was on their side :)

fodders said:

The concept of God needs to also be vengeful because in times of war and crises, the masses need to be convinced He is on their side,ready to smite the enemy, was strange in WWI and WWII because both British churches and German churches were telling the masses He was on their side :)

I guess the masses need something more tanginble than that. "Holy Wars" are like the worst kind of all, to tell the truth.

Zaldron said:

I guess the masses need something more tanginble than that. "Holy Wars" are like the worst kind of all, to tell the truth.

I second that, I get really pissed about a bunch o' damn religious morons killing people "in the name of God".
>:-[

Zaldron said:

Neither WWI or WWII were holy wars, but both the British and German churches were telling their people that God was on their side

"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter.

"In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison.

"Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross.

"As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice...

"And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery.

"When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exploited."

Adolph Hitler, in a speech delivered April 12, 1922

Lüt said:

It does, you just need to find some scientists or books written by scientists who don't have predispositions against the concept of a creator and leave out such evidence/clues. I had tons of science books long ago pointing to a creator, sold 'em on ebay a few years back though.

Could you name me one of those clues?

Lüt said:
Actually, you'll be mostly ignored and shunned by people who can't stand the concept of a creator. [/B]

When the evolution theory was first announced many scientists ignored and shunned it. The same goes for Einstein’s relativity theory and many other theories. Yet when presented with scientific proof and given some time science accepted these theories even though this meant the whole world of science had to be revolutionized.

you can’t regard Scientists like they're all a bunch of closed minded, mindless worshipping sheep with zero respect for other explanations.
-misquoted

super hero said:

Einstein was religious

Well yes, and so were Mendel, Darwin, Lamarck and Malpighi. Yet all have provided us evidence/clues that theories based merely on religion were false. I never said scientists can't be religious. I don't care what they do in their free time. But they shouldn’t let their religion influence their scientific conclusions.

Scientist said:

[...]But when scientific conclusions are based on religious assumptions made in the past then I do think mistakes will be made.

fodders quoted:
Hitler's speech

Religious pressure and suggestions have always been a tool of the wealthy and powerful to manipulate the masses. Religion and faith are not, in and of themselves, wrong or evil. Likewise, organized religion and religious indoctrination are not inherently evil. Like any object or concept in Creation, they can be used for good or evil. It's just the evil uses get a lot more face-time than the good ones.

Well, I'm glad that people finally look at things through rationalizing eyes and see things for their true value. Since I pretty much agree with the above comments I'll leave it alone. Well said pilottobombadier. Just remember: Thou shall not kill (unless you have justification).

I true Christian philosophy. :)

Black

I just don't understand how a person could be religious after going to the same biology class as me. They just disproved most religions on the spot, and that class is mandatory for all kids in the area, I'd also hope it's mandatory for the rest of the states. Yet there's still soo many religious people.

Anyway, I hope alteast the number of athiests is rising, maybe then we'll have wars for a better reason then about what god you dedicate your 5 minutes of praying to each day.

Ask Lüt he had tons of science books pointing to a creator. But he sold 'em on ebay a few years back though. ;)

Religion has a good part and a bad part. The good part is that inspires people to do the right thing. Right and wrong are relative terms, but pretty much anyone here can tell what the society understands for each word. The biggest problem with Religion, IMO, is that there's one big hierarchical backbone managing it. Religion should be a concept, not some kind of organization that bends and twists their Holy Book of turn just to bash/condemn every new thing or tendency that shows up.

Such things as "don't harm people" and "help your equals" are damn important, while stuff like "(sexual preference) is Evil" and "(type of music) is Evil" and similars are just plain bullshit. We don't need people managing each religion like demented zealots, just followers that understand what parts of the scriptures are morally acceptable, which ones are plain drug-induced deliriums, and which ones are out of place for modern civilization.

Zaldron said:

If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.
-Voltaire

Even if God really exists, it would be necessary to abolish him.
-I don't fucking know

EDIT: Thanks to Kat for clearing the whole spelling issue up.

Methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenyl-
alanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysyglutamyl-
gycylalanylphenylalanylvalylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonyl-
leucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyllisoleucylglutamylglutaminyl-
serylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucylisoleucyl-
glutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucyl-
glycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucyl-
alanylaspartylglycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginyl-
alanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanyl-
glycylvalylthreonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanyl-
glutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyl-
lysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolylisoleucylglycylleucyl-
leucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalylphenylalanyl-
asparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyl-
tyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalyl-
aspartylsrylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalyl-
glutaminylglutamylserylalanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminyl-
alanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvalylalanyl-
prolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartyl-
alanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminyl-
isoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyl-
tyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycyl-
alanylglutamylasparaginylarginylalanylalanylleucylleucyllysyl-
glutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucylglutaminyl-
glycylphenylalanylglysylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminyl-
valyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanyl-
glycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucyl-
isoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamyl-
prolylglutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenyl-
alanylvalylglutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginy-
lserine is a longer word than your paltry Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

fod's word

Wow. How long did it take you to pull that out of your ass? And did it hurt coming out? I know you old dudes can't really stop once you start, but... ;)