Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The 'worst games ever' thread

So is picking up a shit and throwing it around.

Sure, but there's a difference between blowing up a fire hydrant and then using the fountain of water to restore health and... throwing a turd to throw a turd. Just like there's a difference between having random naked chicks everywhere and having strippers in the strip-club and prostitutes outside of it. See the difference between DN3D and DNF?

Don't tell me 3D Realms didn't have their tongues in their cheeks when they were putting these things in Duke3D

Yeah, i'm sure they were giggling like little girls when they were programing mirrors and recording the "Damn, i'm looking GOOOD!" phrase. Probably the whole company was present.

Besides, even if they did implement working toilets and light switches just for the lulz, there's no way you'll lower them to the level of Gearbox and DNF, so stop trying.

Clonehunter said:

Oh yah, I forgot about that one... I have no idea why they thought would work. I don't even know about gameplay, but the concept just doesn't work, and the Teen rating of course. I mean, when it comes to toned down MK, we already have the movies. Why tarnish the games? (I'm ure there's more problems too, but I wouldn't know form never playing it actually)

They did sell 2.5 million copies in the US. Problem is with MK games they're $20 pretty quick after release.

Wanna know what's hilarious? MK vs DC sold as many copies as MK9. The giant catch is they don't have to pay licensing fees for DC characters.

WB owns DC... then Midway went under and now WB owns Netherealm Studios. Its probably forced upon them. Plus well it makes money. I think its less of a tarnish thing more of a release games more frequently sort of thing without being official.

Harmata said:

See the difference between DN3D and DNF?

Lest anyone catch the tail end of this thread and think I prefer DNF to DN3D, let me just say that isn't true, for the record. I'm not disputing DN3D being a good game, or it being better than DNF.

But when people dismiss DNF on the same grounds that they defend DN3D over, something is amiss. They're both trashy games, but one happens to be more enjoyable than the other (the 'squeaky clean' Duke Nukem 64 attests to this, even if you could still take a leak IIRC). But I've already posted everything I can say on this, and your appetite will have to be satiated by someone else.

For anyone hating GTA 4. Sleeping Dogs is now free on PS Plus. I've been playing it and its better than GTA 4. Deep combat system. Its more like a GTA beat'em up. Good use of parries, grapples, throws and just buttons and control scheme in general. Pushing square is a light attack, holding it is a heavy attack. Good animations, good lighting, the city feels alive and bright for the most part. You can also drive cars through far straight aways. Its like being a cheetah on the planes where GTA 4 is a cheetah in a zoo. Car combat feels more precise such as having a 'ram' button. Good tutorial levels that spoon feeds you stuff without making you feel like a baby. When you run and turn directions you can still turn on a dime. You shove people out of the way while running. These are both things GTA 4 is missing.

Highly enjoyable game so far.

For anyone that missed it in an earlier post I said Terminator Salvation is one of the worst games ever.

I'm saying Halo 4.

I am a diehard Halo fan, but 343 dropped a fuck-cluster bomb with this one.

Problems I have with it:
-It is a dumbed down HD version of Halo Reach.

-It was dumbed down for the MMS generation with simple story, bullshit hit detection, rewards spraying, uterly OP mantis vehicle, awful spawns, no recoil, OP pistol (boltshot), custom classes with perks and KILLCAMS?!

-Uterly retarded AI

-DLC required for the best mode on H4 (spartan ops... A bit like special ops?)

-all fun modes removed/altered

-buggy as hell, they made it worse? (awful draw distance, LAG, hit detection is a box FFS)

There is soo many things wrong, it is now a generic COD clone!
And they said: "Halo has evolved"
evolved my arse

geo said:

For anyone hating GTA 4. Sleeping Dogs is now free on PS Plus.

Saints Row The Third. Better than any GTA or Sleeping Dogs.

As for some of the worst games...tough call, maybe some fighting game with a slow tempo and very strict movement rules like SF or MK or... Fuck, if I'm playing a fighting game I want to play one where split second decision making and fast reflexes are a must, instead of one that plays like chess.

I've heard some decent things about Sleeping Dogs. Will definitely be checking it out when I'm finished my Metal Gear Solid marathon. Re Saints Row 3: for gameplay, I preferred Saints Row 2. I still can't believe they did away with the taxi missions. Those are my favourite minigame in these modern 'open-world' city games.

Re bad games: I really don't know. I haven't played any truly bad games in a long, long time.

I've never played Saints Row 3 even if I own it. One day... one day.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about Crazy Bus.

Talk about a misleading title.

LOL yeah how could we forget. Come to think of it what about that one desert bus driving sim?

Myst was monumentally disappointing. Other than the uninspired but pretty backdrops, I found this game to be nothing but a snoozefest. I had no reason to be emotionally invested I anything that was happening. I'm also not a fan of point and click games when they're presented as a series of vaguely exploitable but mostly static CG backdrops. The genre was much better handled by masterpieces like Loom.

DoomUK said:

Lest anyone catch the tail end of this thread and think I prefer DNF to DN3D, let me just say that isn't true, for the record. I'm not disputing DN3D being a good game, or it being better than DNF.

But when people dismiss DNF on the same grounds that they defend DN3D over, something is amiss. They're both trashy games, but one happens to be more enjoyable than the other (the 'squeaky clean' Duke Nukem 64 attests to this, even if you could still take a leak IIRC). But I've already posted everything I can say on this, and your appetite will have to be satiated by someone else.

Amen brother, I too defend DNF but think DN3D is alot better than DNF.

Also most of us DNF defenders know Duke Nukem didn't start with DN3D, as DNF even referances Duke Nukum, even though I've not bought said DLC, plus the 2001 trailer also helps show his history. Also I had a DN3D disc that had the classic 2 full games along with a bunch of shareware games.

Maybe all the DNF haters would like to play Doug Huggem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg
Then again, so do I.....so maybe the DNF Defenders too.... There is also the sequal too, Doug Huggem 3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J5EyJZAy_M

Sorry for another post but wanted to sepearte it to the DNF posts.

Another game I was extremly disappointed was C&C 3 and C&C games after it. I mean WTF? They took all that made C&C great, threw it away and just made it mainstream. I didn't even bother with Red Alert 3 full version after trying the demo, or C&C4 at all.Didn't care much for generals but loved Red Alert 2 and to see it go from Red Alert 2, to a Hollywood bust which was C&C3 was sould destroying. Also the GDI bad ending seemed like a better ending.

*Spoiler for it but it'll mean you won't waste your time*
Bad ending effectivly means you wipe out the Scrin, Nod and Tiberium, while keeping GDI green zones safe, get the promotion and get the girl (ok last one doen't happen) yet we're meant to feel guilty?

Instead we just get a thanks, nothing else, have to let Greenzones get taken over as it does at the start of C&C4 (I think I may of saw trailers and read wrongly).

So Save the world and force peace, preventing the 4th war while getting the just rewards, or let the earth rot,have a 4th war years later then have peace........ I'll go with the instant win please.

Hate to say it but, Sonic '06.

That game just flat out disappointed on every which way possible. To me, it seemed like SEGA just rushed it all. With glitchy platforms, Sonic infinitely running making the game extremely annoying, spacious areas, boring sub areas, confusing and stupid storyline, dumb new characters, annoying enemies, slippery controls, annoying puzzles (especially the 8-ball one...oh god) and a ton of other stuff.

It just disappointed us Sonic fans and left a bad taste in our mouths. Actually, it left a badder taste in our mouths because before Sonic '06, 'Shadow the Hedgehog' was released and that was bad as well. But at least that was actually playable instead of this garbage.

DUST 452 >> came out on PSN after being Beta for 5 months. Dust is a F2P FPS set in the EVE world. I'll say Dust 452 is one of the worst games I've played let alone worst FPS. There's a lot of reading as a tutorial and no real sort of practice mode. The game just dumps you into combat. Sure you can change your loadout and class (well classes are more loadout specific and less class).

Everything seems to be black and grey. Ground is grey, everything else is black. Can't really see enemies and allies alike except for colored tints above people.

You start in a lobby where you formulate a strategy before you go into the game. You spawn right next to the other team's spawn. They say its okay though because you spawn invisible. But that invisibility wears off in time or when you move at all, but if someone bumps into you.... they know you're there and they shoot through your invisible ass.

You can also spawn in a clump of soldiers behind cover. Behind cover that requires you to jump out. One grenade in there can kill 3 or 4 unaware players.

And to top it off the game is tied to EVE, which is cool even if I've never played EVE that much. But you can supposedly control a planet for EVE players and they can bomb the planet and you can setup anti aircraft guns to blow up opposing players in space. Like 1 game helps the other game.

After hours of playing I have yet to see anything like that. It seems like a shitty monochromatic version of TF2 with no spawn rooms. You can die within seconds and without going anywhere.

Nomad said:

Wasn't their first to feature DRM, and wasn't even the first EA game to use SecuROM (which I assume you refer to). Mass Effect had it earlier that year too.

no. i think the SecuRom is the one you need the disc in at all time. DRM stands for Digital Right Management, it required the player to persistently on line even for single player campaign.

Scottland89 said:

Another game I was extremly disappointed was C&C 3 and C&C games after it. I mean WTF? They took all that made C&C great, threw it away and just made it mainstream.

So, the fact that you were disappointed with 'em automatically makes them one of the worst games ever (hence the thread title)? Quite an immature attitude. They're far from being that bad, even C&C 4 has its own 'arcade'-like charm, especially in multiplayer. A little piece of advice: quit being incompetently subjective and bother searching for some strong arguments. This applies to many in this thread actually.

Rouge warrior for the 360...
I guess I should have known a £5 2009 game would be bad, but this one takes the sprinkled shit cake!

Lets see....
-Brain dead AI
-A plot that is about as generic as CoD (anti communism... again)
-Awful looking guns as well as 75% of them doing next to no damage... and there is less than 10 different guns!
-Horrible physics, so bad it makes "Taxi Racer" look like art
-It looks like arse, even in 1080p
-Extreme amounts of motion blur
-100% linear
-Explosions are obviously 2D... I'll let that sink in until you see it.
-Horrible FPS drops, easily noticed on high sensitivity
-Laughable ragdoll...

The ONLY 3 good things about it are:
Easy gamerscore, the voice acting and the brutality in the executions... Thats it.

Demonologist said:

So, the fact that you were disappointed with 'em automatically makes them one of the worst games ever (hence the thread title)? Quite an immature attitude. They're far from being that bad, even C&C 4 has its own 'arcade'-like charm, especially in multiplayer. A little piece of advice: quit being incompetently subjective and bother searching for some strong arguments. This applies to many in this thread actually.

yea, RA2 and C&C3 were good!! than, you know... thats how it is with company slowly being swallowed by big corp, EA gave RA2 and C&C 3 team freedom, then as EA starting to sit firm on top of them, problems started to occur... the same pattern everywhere in the industry... thats why I can predict what gonna happen with Id...

GoatLord said:

Myst was monumentally disappointing. Other than the uninspired but pretty backdrops, I found this game to be nothing but a snoozefest. I had no reason to be emotionally invested I anything that was happening. I'm also not a fan of point and click games when they're presented as a series of vaguely exploitable but mostly static CG backdrops. The genre was much better handled by masterpieces like Loom.

i think myst is good, ingenious game actually. with limited technology to recreate this beautiful and in riven, breathtaking imagery were quite something, it kinda also takes you on a virtual tour to some imaginary world, so I like it. I can understand some people don't, it certainly ain't the same with busting demon or rollovering enemy base with tanks, not all thing for everyone ah? They were the best selling game up to their time.

Demonologist said:

So, the fact that you were disappointed with 'em automatically makes them one of the worst games ever (hence the thread title)? Quite an immature attitude.

Sorry, I was just answering the question made in the first post.

DoomUK said:

What, in your opinions, are the worst games ever?

I'll narrow down the question a little. We all know about catastrophically terrible titles like Big Rigs, but games like this are the low-hanging fruit. While it's pretty puzzling how it got through any kind of QA (or whether they even bothered with QA at all), it was just an objectively badly-made game from people who didn't know what they were doing.

What I'm more interested in is games which you had high hopes for, but were bitterly disappointed by. I don't recall any hype preceding Big Rigs, as if the developers promised something that would redefine racing games or whatever. It was bad, but there was nothing to feel disappointed over, which is surely preferable to playing a game from a respected developer who promised something extraordinary but didn't deliver.

C&C 3 fits that to me as it made me lose all hope in the future of the series rather than build on the respect I had for it. Never touched full version of RA3 or any version of C&C 4.

Heh, just finished playing C&C 3 an hour ago.

At the core it's still C&C without a doubt, from what I've read C&C 4 is not, which is why I won't even bother playing it.

My biggest problem with it is that the SP missions are all over the place in terms of quality, and I'm saying that having played SC2 HotS and replayed WoL recently.

SC2 is simply consistent in what it does, even if it does mean that past a certain point every mission in HotS can be breezed through with 4 Hatcheries -> Roach/Hydra/Ultra up to 200/200 -> A-move into enemy base, even on Brutal (can't even remember building air units outside of the first mission that gives mutas). That was a major disappointment for me and replaying WoL just after that made it even worse. WoL can be almost unfairly hard on Brutal at times, I guess the feedback made them tone it down for HotS and they've botched it.

Now, a quick look at C&C 3. In all campaigns, in completely random order you can expect:

- missions impossible to beat without knowing what type of attack will come first,
- missions that can be easily broken by building a huge army before even getting the objective that activates the AI scripts,
- missions that break by themselves, where enemies simply drop their scripts and stop attacking you,
- hero missions, which unlike SC and SC2 present no challenge whatsoever, as once your hero unit reaches veteran status it's basically immortal,
- missions where you cap enemy bases and end up with so many special skills on the tab you won't even know what to click anymore,
- other broken crap,
- those few quality missions that brought back memories of Tib Dawn and Tib Sun, building up base defenses, building an army and knocking on the enemy's front door with your superweapon.

EDIT: Special mention for GDI's Berne mission, which despite having all the makings of one of those quality missions screws you over by breaking a bonus objective script if you save/load too early (and later on the Scrin just stopped attacking me as well).

On to RA 3 now.

I had to look up what C&C is :-) So many abbreviations. I've never played the series, but I really feel that the whole RTS genre is less like a game of chess, more like a flood your squad against there squad. Some games try to have rock paper scissors where some unit types are weak to others. But it really feels limited with what you can do.

Maybe I just haven't played the right RTS.

And yes, Big Rigs and War Z are easy targets, along with most Wii games or games that AVGN has reviewed. But unless I've played them, I don't want to comment on anything.

Terminator Salvation the game.

So I've played RA 3 for a day now and it's worse than C&C 3, so I guess I'm done with C&C games for now.

The AI co-op partner is the most retarded idea I've ever seen in RTS games. You don't even have to do much, the missions win themselves most of the time, all you can do is speed things up.

@geo: You could try C&C Generals and Zero Hour, they make pretty good use of what you've described as 'rock paper scissors'. Same for Act of War.

I take it back.... Dungeon Keeper 2 was a lot of fun. Dungeon Keeper 1 was the same game with worse graphics.

Anyone dropped the Dai-Katana bomb yet?

geo said:

I had to look up what C&C is :-) So many abbreviations. I've never played the series, but I really feel that the whole RTS genre is less like a game of chess, more like a flood your squad against there squad. Some games try to have rock paper scissors where some unit types are weak to others. But it really feels limited with what you can do.

Maybe I just haven't played the right RTS.

It's also a matter of reaching a specific skill level where you can start to appreciate the deeper mechanics, similar to how a lot of people consider fighting games nothing but button mashers.

Just to look at two examples, the Age of Empires games generally emphasis more difficult macro (=economy, building and production management) with their multiple types of resources. On the top level you need to have the optimum amount of workers harvesting each resource type to both maximize your production and to avoid "floating" too much money (=having unspent resources because you don't have efficient enough production) or avoid having idle money (=having queued up production while you could immediately use those resource on production somewhere else). There's less emphasis on army control, and battles come more down to composition, positioning and your ability to reinforce faster than your opponent.

On the other hand, in Starcraft there's less emphasis on controlling your economy as the resource types are limited to two, and the game effectively limits how many workers you can assign to one resource point before reaching maximum resource gathering. However there's much more emphasis on map control, since to improve your economy you have to expand outwards to additional bases. Fights also require a lot more micro management, as there are lots of units with special abilities that you either need to use or move your units against. Ie. casting psi storms with high templars or dodging storms with stimmed marines. Flooding your units against any pro player will only result in your armies getting massacred due to their far superior control.