Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

New Shadow Warrior coming

This is exciting, because I was disappointed with the original. Not at first, mind you. I loved the demo, which had so much potential and diversity. Then I bought the retail version and was unimpressed. Some 20 or so additional maps with convoluted, frankly boring layouts, with scarce variety. None of the new weapons or enemies wowed me. I don't know how 3D Realms managed to be so uninspired when SW's first map was better than most of Duke 3D.

GoatLord said:

This is exciting, because I was disappointed with the original. Not at first, mind you. I loved the demo, which had so much potential and diversity. Then I bought the retail version and was unimpressed. Some 20 or so additional maps with convoluted, frankly boring layouts, with scarce variety. None of the new weapons or enemies wowed me. I don't know how 3D Realms managed to be so uninspired when SW's first map was better than most of Duke 3D.

New Shadow Warrior is good news, but I'm skeptical of Flying Wild Hog. They have old Painkiller devs in tow, which was obvious from the design of Hard Rest: It was basically a collection of random rooms with monsters, often at the same vertical level as you, rushing at you from one or two spawn points. Hard Reset looked good, and was technically solid, but the level design was boring (from gameplay point of view) just like Painkiller's.

What the fuck is going with this Nostalgia Wave? Rise of Triad, Wolfenstein... Now this. Something's really wrong with this planet. I guess.

Honestly, I'm just glad someone's carrying the mantle. If I had my druthers, they'd be using a Buildlike engine, but that's never going to happen from any studio that actually wants to turn a profit. So even if it's a bastardization, it's still probably better than only having the one game.

If nothing else, it might bring some more attention to the original (agreed, though, the demo hinted at a better game overall).

Also I thought Painkiller was fun.

Jodwin said:

Flying Wild Hog, the team behind Hard Reset

These guys are still in business? How did Hard Reset sell that well?

IMO Shadow Warrior was the best Build engine game. Will wait and see how this turns out.

CorSair said:

What the fuck is going with this Nostalgia Wave? Rise of Triad, Wolfenstein... Now this. Something's really wrong with this planet. I guess.

You'd rather get a new Call of Duty spinoff?
The Wolfenstein franchise has been kept alive better than Doom. There has been Return to Castle Wolfenstein (2001), Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (2003), and Wolfenstein (2009).

As for the nostalgia wave; we're still missing Blood and some Blake Stone title I guess. (Wait, I've got it. Ken's Lab 2013!)

CorSair said:

Films are doing it as well. I wonder if it's an accidental trend...

Jesus, I was not expecting this!

Sadly, a lot of Shadow Warriors charm was how un-PC it was. I doubt they could get away with it these days.

There are seasons for these things. You see it first in the film industry. Everything is a remake for a while, and then it goes back to new(er) things.

I blame either the 'queer street' times we live in, resulting in people looking for more reassurance in their entertainment, and less challenging ideas. Or I blame a vaguely demographically identifiable group of generational cohorts crystallizing into a cultural and consumer power base, which in turn drives the creation and consumption of more 'classic' entertainment. I also blame myself for making this obtuse clusterfuck of a post with flagrant disregard for coherency.

Here, have a Castlevania remix as my way of apologizing (YouTube).

I think a combination of "playing it safe" (that is, revisiting what worked in the past) and a genuine absence of new ideas, are at least partly responsible for this nostalgic kick. That, and the generation running the world now is hopelessly fixated on their childhoods, giving them little motivation to push forward. This seems to be present in the music industry as well, seeing as a lot of contemporary dance, pop, rock and hip hop is obnoxiously retro sounding. Can anyone shed light on how affected the literary industry is?

I think we're in a sort of pop cultural renaissance. How long before before old ideas become outmoded all over again is anyone's guess.

Gez said:

You'd rather get a new Call of Duty spinoff?

I was more curious how this... trend suddenly surfaced.
Optimist in me says that there's something great coming in horizon in gaming industry. Realist in me says to wait and observe.

GoatLord said:

I suggest playing the two official add-ons: Twin Dragon and Wanton Destruction.

Go on, they're free.

CorSair said:

I was more curious how this... trend suddenly surfaced.
Optimist in me says that there's something great coming in horizon in gaming industry. Realist in me says to wait and observe.

I have faith that the new ROTT game will kick ass, but I'm not quite sure a game by Flying Wild Hog will do the franchise justice.

They lost me at the "total reimagining" part. Since now a days thats code for "We are going to slap the name of a beloved franchise on a game that has little to nothing to do with the source material, so we can make a quick buck."

Interesting, I was fine with the original shadow warrior so I'll be looking forward to a new one.

Satyr000 said:

They lost me at the "total reimagining" part.

Also known as a "reboot", which in this case could mean an uninspired rail shooter with a familiar name attached to it. I'll reserve my opinion until they release a demo.

Another re-image to potentially look forward to :)

The likes of COD are getting stale (well, the ideas of the COD era need a rest to become fresh again), but rather than come up with new ideas, they pull old ideas from the past of video games, that's old enough now, that most modern gamers won't know of the originals.

How they bring across Shadow Warriors er 'character' will be interesting.

CoD was already stale ever since the MW games and maybe even CoD2 because of the dumbing down and removal of certain features most fps games normally used to have.

Technician said:

I have faith that the new ROTT game will kick ass, but I'm not quite sure a game by Flying Wild Hog will do the franchise justice.

I'm curious to see what kind of enemies you'll be fighting if they decide to pull off an other Painkiller on Shadow Warrior. The horde mentality "makes sense" when you're fighting brainless undead or robots, but I'm not seeing Flying Wild Hog getting away with it in a Shadow Warrior setting.

Vaporizer said:

Shadow Warrior used to be a serious FPS, then Duke 3D happened. Anyway, Shadow Warrior is one of my most loved FPS games. 3D Realms really pushed Build engine to its limits (contrast to Id who played it safe with Quake.).

I thought Shadow Warrior came after Duke 3D. :P

Avoozl said:

I thought Shadow Warrior came after Duke 3D. :P

Christ, I think Shadow Warrior rivals Duke Forever as far as development time goes. They had multiple builds of that game.

By that logic, Shadow Warrior would have began development around 1983, a good decade before Silverman started work on his engine.

Vaporizer said:

3D Realms really pushed Build engine to its limits (contrast to Id who played it safe with Quake.).

That's interesting because id didn't push doom's limits either.