Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

[RELEASE]Rush - Now on idgames

Rush is 12 boom-compatible leves, which take places in tech bases, wintery outdoor locations, hell keeps and even Void. Gameplay is slaughterish, but not really hard. Skill settings are implemented.

Screenshots:

Download now!

Tested with PrBoom+.

Special thanks to Demonologist, Skepticist, Yak-9U and Ribbiks for playtesting, Cybermind for help with dehacked.

Music list: http://db.tt/YcA2V4Up

That teleporter right at the beginning of Map01 won me over right off the bat. Seriously, that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a Doom wad. I'm going to imitate the hell out of that next time I make a boom map.

I only played the first level, but I'll probably do the whole thing once I have some more time. I loved the the style - partially because it reminds me of some of my own maps. Hope you muster the inspiration to finish this.

excellent maps archi, a nice combination of whitemare visuals, slaughter/D-D style gameplay that I find very fun to play.

here's some fda's for maps 1-4, will play rest in a bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?if7sybj8t4te4h9, I beat some levels, gave up on others

map02 is pretty brutal, especially for so early in the wad, very cramped.
map03 is unadulterated slaughter, feels kind of sloppy, but still plays fine. the AVs in the first room felt a bit harsh, no cover or anything
map04 was my favorite so far by a large margin, I love when arenas simultaneously expand and introduce new monsters, often bridging gaps between 2 areas. Also I noticed a missing texture in the water of the PG/RK area

So far I'm really liking the music choices too, do you have info on where the tracks are from? In particular I'm curious about the intermission music, I know I've heard it before but I can't recall where.

Anyways, I hope maps 5-11 are as entertaining as the first four. again, nice work!

Difficulty level implemented, nice (something I didn't expect and I will probably play it on something lower than UV). Anyway, the difficulty progression on UV is extreme. On MAP01 I got hit just once (mancubus), MAP02 is extremely hard, expecially for a hitscanner-free map.

Almost every trap on MAP02 involves bars closing behind the player, I find it repetitive. But use of space vs. moster density and monster placement is very good. I love and hate - at the same time - the plasma rifle room, as it seems I can't survive it without cheats :)

Probably worth mentioning in the first post -> Boom compatible.

pervodemki (two demos are "notFDAs" because I've already seen the early versions of respective maps)

Hey, I like this a lot. Fun and stressful maps full of pain and action. I agree with vdgg that the "bars closing behind" trend gets repetitive but, as a mapper myself, I have to admit that it is difficult for me to create equally dangerous situations without resorting to this somewhat cheap trick. Really, how can you truly challenge the player if he can simply run away and kill everything from a more or less safe spot? One option is to make ammo\health very limited but that usually makes frustrating rather than entertaining maps. Still, if you find inspiration to continue this work, try to be more creative with this stuff, Archi.

I also agree with Ribbiks that the music selection is rather exceptional (map10 was my favorite), so songlist please! :)

About my demos: sorry, was a bit tired at the end so didn't finish 09 and 11. Also 06 remained a mystery to me: very low ammo, not sure how you are supposed to play this. I'll study it with savegames.

Good work.

here's fdas for 5-11: http://www.mediafire.com/?jy36l0l330z4xm0

I was pretty thin-skinned on most of those demos, if I died halfway through the map (by monster count) I usually just quit because I didn't feel like playing the first rooms again. I'll probably play some maps again with saves.

here are some passing thoughts:

map05: nice ominous map, atmosphere enhanced by the music definitely. made me afraid of hitting switches, but there always seemed to be an "easy" way to handle each fight. fun map.

map06: very interesting! vaguely reminds me of sunder05. I like the torch spiral. I would've beaten this one but towards the end I decided I was no longer able to dodge rockets. the gameplay felt a bit binary, either I was picking off 1 or 2 monsters that couldn't get near me, or I was being insta-raped by hordes of baddies teleporting in, so that detracted from the map a tad. The last 2 fights were pretty creative.

map07: curve-tool ahoy! and sonic 3 music, allrighty then. Not a bad map, I found it easy.

map08: another map made intimidating by creepy music. Though I found all the traps in this one really easy, lots of resources and easy infighting opportunities.

map09: didn't care for this one too much, visuals looked a bit mish-mash. First room was pretty fun, albeit culminating in a straightforward circle-strafe victory. I gave up after getting cyb-owned twice in the PG room.

map10: strange visuals, fun traps though. The HK/manc fight after the red door was really cool. This one had some really dickishly placed AVs, I'm not sure what the intended strategy was in the room where I died, but the AV placement was enough to deter me from attempting again. wtf was with that door that pushed you into the room? that was pretty wonky. Kind of cool though...

map11: hurray symmetrical quake-textured rooms. first area was fun, I wasn't a fan of the thin balcony fights of the second room.

Again, nice maps. I agree with Memfis's thoughts on the bars closing players in. It's practically mandatory in arena-heavy gameplay like this, anytime the player wasn't trapped (map03, map08, for example) it was always trivially easy to just stand outside the doors and kill everything from safety. So I don't mind it, as long as I have a general idea of what's going to be locked up before I'm swarmed with mobs it doesn't bother me much.

Some pretty decent maps. My only problem is with the doorfighting in every map, and the excessive use of revenants. I might just be all revenented out though. Door fighting is a more serious issue. In many maps, a door is a huge chokepoint and turns the gameplay into 'shoot rockets into room until everything dies'. Less detrimental to gameplay but way more annoying to me in slaughtermaps are doors ... with regular behavior. Perhaps I'm too used to making them all open only in my own maps, but fighting with a door to my back, moving a little forward for a better position, and then the door closes and I either open it again and lose headway or get stuck on and killed by whatever I was fighting, is annoying. These problems do not kill the maps, but they do make them less appealing to me.

When I'm killed by those black mancubus, the obituary says that I was "spooked by a lost soul," which I'm pretty sure was not intentional.

Thanks everyone. I'll watch demos later, cause I don't have enough time at the moment.

Actually I thought that closing bars are not that common. I'll think about it, maybe some of the fights will be better without it.

Also, added the music list in the first post.

Memfis said:

I agree with vdgg that the "bars closing behind" trend gets repetitive but, as a mapper myself, I have to admit that it is difficult for me to create equally dangerous situations without resorting to this somewhat cheap trick. Really, how can you truly challenge the player if he can simply run away and kill everything from a more or less safe spot? One option is to make ammo\health very limited but that usually makes frustrating rather than entertaining maps.

This is a recurring issue for setpieces. It became a common 'feature' in Hadephobia. Not to derail too much but here's some other ways to prevent the player running away. I'd be interested in someone adding to the list

Dropping into the setpiece area
One way lift into the area
Door closes and cannot be opened from other side (or key locked)
Teleport in
Monsters warp into entry point
Environmental hazards (crusher/slime) discourage running
Essential items/resources in setpiece area
Barriers block exits
Start of the map(!)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There are other methods that reduce safe spots but don't prevent running from the setpeice area.

That's a pretty good list already!

I'd add:

- opening up additional pathways to earlier areas on the sides, leading back to the part you're backtracking to through other directions; so if you run away too far, monsters end up spilling everywhere. This works better in maps with high monster count where the above result means lost infighting opportunities.

- in a similar vein, make doors (or entry points) wide and complicated.

This is easy to camp:

This is a little harder, with more directions to watch:

This gets trickier, with monsters popping in and out of your line of sight while they go through the doors:

This prevents sitting in a corner so monsters all come out through the closest door (damaging lava), and monsters won't bunch up and get stuck in the other room's corners either with walls in the other room originating from the outer sides of the doors:

And then there's the trick where you put a few archviles coming from behind the horde of monsters so that you're forced to kill them otherwise they'll resurrect more monsters.

Oh and I've only played a few maps but I can say this is a killer demo so far, nice clean visuals and solid gameplay.

The thing I should've done about an year ago.
Update of a demo, many things have changed, many fixes, some minor and major gameplay changes. HMP tested far better and became easier than UV.
Here's a link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6497432/rush_demo_v2.zip
Please tell me your suggestions and opinions. I will appreciate it.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that MAP06 was done with Demonologist.

And here's a shot of an WIP map, this one probably going to be on next FDC: http://i.imgur.com/PCmcT9x.png

PS I'm tired of fixing things there (G)ZDoom works wrong. So, sorry, if someone can't reach 100% kills in (G)ZDoom.

I think you should use DECORATE for the monster (zombieman??) replacement instead of DEHACKED and using sprites that could be otherwise used for other purposes.

Mr. Chris said:

I think you should use DECORATE for the monster (zombieman??) replacement instead of DEHACKED and using sprites that could be otherwise used for other purposes.

This is a boom compatible wad, there's no support for Decorate and no way to add new sprites despite replacing the old ones. But GZdoom supports it good and even with other mods the new enemy works as it intended.
Though I'll not recommend to play this wad with mods, which makes gameplay harder, such as Brutal Doom, because it becomes almost impossible to complete levels.

You had me at DeHackEd. =D If you need any tips or new monsters, feel free to let me know. Excellent shots as well, although I have a feeling I'd be crushed in the deluge of enemies.

Obsidian said:

You had me at DeHackEd. =D If you need any tips or new monsters, feel free to let me know. Excellent shots as well, although I have a feeling I'd be crushed in the deluge of enemies.

Heh, how good you know MBF features?

Well, I think this is the last bunch of changes on posted levels. I fixed some minor bugs and added monsters for coop, but didn't test it.

I wanted this to become a new 32-level megawad, but I can't, so I'm going to add one more map and release it with 12 maps.

FDA for map12. I managed to run past some wr lines that kept some revenants trapped inside their lowered floors they were standing on. I also did a glide in the starting room. I also activated the arch-vile teleport trap in the starting room by "jumping" on to a platform. You'll see in the fda.

It's a really nice looking map. But the lightning was a bit bland. With gamma 0 it was way too dark and with gamma 1 it was too bright. I guess it could be the textures you've picked that's the problem. It could also just be me bitching about unimportant stuff. Good job

Archi said:

It's dark and long.

just the way I like em.

dannebubinga said:

FDA for map12. I managed to run past some wr lines that kept some revenants trapped inside their lowered floors they were standing on. I also did a glide in the starting room. I also activated the arch-vile teleport trap in the starting room by "jumping" on to a platform. You'll see in the fda.

It's a really nice looking map. But the lightning was a bit bland. With gamma 0 it was way too dark and with gamma 1 it was too bright. I guess it could be the textures you've picked that's the problem. It could also just be me bitching about unimportant stuff. Good job

Thanks for the demo. I'll fix that bug with revenants and glide. Also, arch-vile teleport trap was supposed to be so, I already knew about that.

40oz said:

just the way I like em.

Enjoy.

For now I need Titlepic, endmap and text between levels. It is not going to take long, I hope.