Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Stardate 20X6 [Now on /idgames]

I finally finished a mapset I've been working on for the past 6 months or so. If you lurked around the doom pics thread you may have seen some shots of this. Anyways:

Stardate 20X6 is a set of 8 boom-compatible levels that are all about the color purple. I couldn't think of a wad that extensively used the color so I decided to spend some time and completely overdose on it. The levels meander through underground and space-station themes, and are filled with all sorts of abstract violet goodness. Much of the gameplay resembles the arena style typically found in slaughtermaps, but the monster counts (in general) aren't overwhelmingly high. The maps are very difficult, with UV hopefully presenting a worthy challenge even for veteran doomers. HMP is also implemented, and is intended for a more casual playthroughs. Here's the nitty gritty:

Tested with:
PrBoom-Plus (complevel 9), Glboom-Plus (complevel 9), GZdoom

New Maps:
map01-map07, with bonus map31

maps are meant to be played from pistol start. but of course you can play them continuously if you really want to, just know that it will be a lot easier than intended :)

Difficulty Settings:
UV, HMP are implemented. HNTR is largely the same as HMP, but with a few slight changes in certain areas.

You want screenshots? Oh I got screenshots:

map01: "Amethyst II"
screenshot1
screenshot2
screenshot3

map02: "Mud Bunny"
screenshot4
screenshot5
screenshot6

map03: "Foxhole"
screenshot7
screenshot8
screenshot9

map04: "Tanagra"
screenshot10
screenshot11
screenshot12

map05: "Sector 8"
screenshot13
screenshot14
screenshot15

map06: "Vehelits"
screenshot16
screenshot17
screenshot18
screenshot19

map07: "Magnus"
screenshot20
screenshot21
screenshot22
screenshot23
screenshot24

map31: "Hyperspace" (bonus map)
screenshot25
screenshot26
screenshot27

Or if you're feeling lazy, here's an album with all the screenshots in it.

So go give it a shot:

Download [/idgames]

It's been playtested thoroughly but some bugs may yet remain, so let me know if you find any! In a couple of days I'll upload a final version to /idgames and all that nonsense.

A special thanks to Phml, Dannebubinga, j4rio, and gggmork for their helpful comments, suggestions, and demos at various stages of development.

Good luck!

Wow, when I looked at your screens on "Post your Doom picture!" theard, I thought that it was for the only one map, but no, 8 maps. o/

Lookin forward to this, didn't realize it was more than 1 map. You really don't have to mention me in the credits since I did almost nothing on just one map but whatever. That map (6 I think?) is quite cool, didn't try the others yet.

There are some missing textures on map02, maybe 01 too, I don't remember. Doom Builder should be able to find them, although it also detects intentionally missing textures, like in sectors where you're using the bleeding flat trick or the sky horizon trick, so it doesn't always help. (too many search results)

Memfis said:

There are some missing textures on map02, maybe 01 too, I don't remember.

any recollection of where? even a vague idea? There are way too many intentionally missing textures (every monster closet, every insta-raise sector, etc) for that tool to be useful.

Nice maps, but you really need to update the gldefs the torches have a green glow.

I remember stalking these pictures from the DoomGen forum. Glad to see its release. Playtesting now

Just took a quick look throughout it, I don't like how the clean grey textures clash with the dirty, rusty look of most everything else. I do like the areas that stick to the brown and purple theme the most.

Just giving it a quick go since I haven't touched any map after edits.

In map 1 imps on the right side in that impy arena can get stuck on linedefs due to boom pushing stuff, so add blocky lines there.

GUBBLE MUSIC

I LOVE YOU

Ahem. I've played through the first two maps so far and I'm really liking how they look and the mood they create along with the music. Great stuff. :D

Some nice maps. My Fdas, though anything after 3 is probably not worth watching. I thought there would be some progression in the weapons, but finding the shotgun in the start for every map kinda killed my interest without being able to save. Perhaps I should've done HMP after that for fas. I'll take a better look tomorrow, maybe. You should look over map2 or 3 again, there are a couple HoMs in the early parts. 31 was, kinda weird, I'll have to look into it. Also loved the cyb vs. revs + stuff in middle fight on 4 or 5.

Thanks for the comments guys, and yah jim, the gubble ost rules, thanks for the recommendations to check that out :)

Memfis said:

Hmm, here is one example (map02, secret lift) but in the editor this place looks OK... weird.

strange, I'll try and fix that.

Pottus said:

Nice maps, but you really need to update the gldefs the torches have a green glow.

oh ok. I've never touched gldefs before but I'll attempt to figure that out.

ArmouredBlood said:

I thought there would be some progression in the weapons, but finding the shotgun in the start for every map kinda killed my interest without being able to save.

a valid criticism, the weapon progression is similar across maps 1-6 (though you'll usually have all weapons sans bfg around 1/3 through the map). 7 and 31 are the only ones with radical deviation

ArmouredBlood said:

You should look over map2 or 3 again, there are a couple HoMs in the early parts.

damn, I swear I've played these a bajillion times, no idea how I missed these. poking around in db I can't seem to find em, but apparently they appear ingame.. hm.

>play map31 for 2 minutes before going to sleep
>wake up the next day
>Alice Deejay is still playing in my head

damn u

I'm really liking these maps, very stylish and great use of an uncommon color in Doom. They're kicking my ass pretty bad, but I'd love to play these in Co-op. And that music really is atmospheric, great stuff overall.

Visuals got me seriously hooked, that's something fresh, like Anathema but with purple dominating all over the place. Theme gets repetitive very quickly though, but that's not the main issue. The main issue is that I tend to strongly dislike the gameplay, slaughter-based approach + trial-and-error-style devious traps + tight ammo balance (oh c'mon, this isn't funny at all, I recall exactly the same feature in your later sf12 maps and that really pisses me off) up to the point "and how the fuck am I supposed to kill them, huh? with my dick?" in not-that-short maps makes for a highly repulsive combination, at least for myself. Sorry, not my style, several ragequits on the first 3 maps were more than enough for me.

Yes, I think I'll be all over this one later on.

Do not underestimate the power of purple.

I loved the use of purple colour in Doom. That's what I've always wanted to see in Doom: BRIGHT AND STRONG COLOURS IN HELL! - ...or, in space, at least!

Memfis said:

>Alice Deejay is still playing in my head

damn u

my roommates hated me during the day or two of playtesting that one :)

cannonball said:

In map 1 I didn't find any missing texture problems, but I did find this

hmm.. all these visual glitchy things seem to occur only in software graphics, which I didn't notice because of testing primarily in gl. Looking at spots like this in doombuilder everything looks perfect, so I have no idea what's causing these problems. I don't know much about the intricacies of the software graphics renderer, so if someone does I'd appreciate any advice.

Doomkid92 said:

They're kicking my ass pretty bad, but I'd love to play these in Co-op.

Unfortunately there are many areas that weren't designed with multiplayer in mind (areas that lock players in, and aren't accessible from outside until a switch inside is hit or something), so I apologize if you try this and things break.

Demonologist said:

Sorry, not my style

As I imagine it won't be for many others as well, which I'm fine with. ammo management is an important part of map design for me, and offering little forgiveness for fuckups. there's always lower difficulties ya know :p

These visual glitches could be some weird cases of the slime trail bug. Try moving adjacent vertices just a little (even 1px should be fine) or maybe using different nodebuilders...

hah. I move a vertex 1 unit and viola:

thanks memfis, that was easy. I guess I'll wander around the maps and try to resolve any others that occured.

I'd like to do a survival play through of this WAD tonight if your interested Ribbiks it will be hosted on Zandronum i'll post once I can get it hosted.

that'd be neat, though I nearly guarantee a map will break if someone enters a room that locks and dies inside :p

That would be the kind of stuff we'll be looking for I'm sure there are the things you can anticipate but there will be things you can't :)