Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Unholypimpin

Custom DOOM 64 Maps [GZDoom] Version 1.0 Released!

Hello everyone, I would like to introduce a new project I am working on. It is a Doom 64 project that will have brand new maps and some new enemies and weapons. My hopes in the future of this project(when i get better at blender) will be to make sprites for all the missing enemies in doom64.
Those missing enemies if you dont know were the chaingunner, revenant, Archvile and spider-mastermind.

THIS PROJECT IS FOR GZDOOM, even though one could play in zdoom but it wouldn't have dynamic lights.

THIS PROJECT IS 60% COMPLETE

INTRO/TITLEMAP

MAPS SO FAR
======================
-Entry Point - 100%
-Water Facility - 100%
-U.A.C. Factor - 100%
-Chemical Factory - 100%
-Storage Depot - 100%
-Supply Yard - 100%
-BlackOut - 20%
-Down Town - 0%
-The Pillar - 0%
-Callisto Spaceport - 5%
======================

Atm there are two new weapons, The Firestorm and rifle. The firestorm is like the plasma rifle but its ammo cuts through enemies in a line and its rate of fire and accuracy arnt as good either. The rifle has pinpoint accuracy(good for sniping) and can kill multiple weaker enemies in 1 shot. Rifle rounds are kind of rare so you wouldn't want to use them for every encounter.

There are 2 maps done and the third is well on its way. Hopefully Ill have a playable alpha test in the next two days(if I dont get lazy).

Here are some screenshots of the project so far.

The maps will have everything you would expect from doom64, like dynamic lighting, 3d floors, colored rooms and changing sectors.

Atm i'm not looking for mappers, but once i got all the resources done if anyone wishes to submit a map for this project then they can do so.

If you wish to contribute in a different way, like graphics or sounds then let me know.

Version 1.0 of the wad has been released!! This version has 3 maps. here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2rh80n9hg45h82/DOOM64VERSION-1.4.wad ... ON-1.4.wad

Spoilers don't work for pictures at Doomworld. :P

Also, good luck on recreating the missing enemies. This thread might have some pointers to get you started.

@obsidian Well the original doom64 monsters where done with high poly models so I will do the same thing when making the revenant, chaingunner, archvile and spider mastermind.

Keep in mind the missing enemies wont be attempted for quite a while.
However I might use placeholder sprites in the meantime.

Version 1.0 has been released! Here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/?1ppi2j3ly8pkq11

The maps still need some work but are 100% playable with skill levels added. Ultra Violence might be too hard for some people so if you want it easy just play on im too young to die.

Map03 still doesnt have any secrets and alot of traps havnt been added to all maps yet, so expect alot of map changes in the next version. The reason why I am not releasing the maps fully detailed or configured is because I will be gone for a week, but i decided why not atleast let people see and play the wad anyways so they get a taste of what I am going for in this project.

If you are going to download the wad atleast give me your feedback and comments on what you thought or any bugs you may have found.

Please note many enemies and weapons are not done yet so anything you dont see in these 3 maps probably doesnt work. The placeholder revenant's are on map03 on ultra violence.

The hud hasnt been worked on yet so just put the hud on fullscreen to get the full doom64 experiance.

Whoever works on gzdoom should consider adding the light gradiant capabilities from the original Doom 64 to gzdoom.

It's harder than it seems.

Here's a screenshot from an experimental build of GZDoom with partial, unfinished, not-really-playable-beyond-the-first-level Doom 64 support. And here's it is supposed to look.

Avoozl said:

Whoever works on gzdoom should consider adding the light gradiant capabilities from the original Doom 64 to gzdoom.

That would be great, but that is probably asking too much.

Gave this a spin and found a couple of issues:

- D64's texture set is quite monotonous, so it uses coloured lighting to vary the areas. Fog aside, you're only using red and blue hues. It doesn't need to be all the colours of the rainbow, but try mixing it up a bit. Throw some colour-coded lighting around the locked doors for instance, or some good oul' fake raycasting (D64 uses it a LOT ;)).
- Fog flat out replaces coloured lighting in MAP02. Is this deliberate? Some areas where there is a change in colour look a bit strange.
- When killed, Imps appear to go into their melee state before keeling over.
- All monster projectiles seem to be faster than usual. Could be intentional, I dunno.
- Even by D64 standards, the Lost Souls are ridiculous. This is a potential gamebreaker later on. D64's Souls are more aggressive, but damn ...

IMO you're on the right track with this, but it still needs work. Keep at it!

Thankyou for your feedback. I will be nerfing the lostsouls alot and fixing the other monster glitches. I will also take what you said about the colored lighting into consideration , and make changes to the colored light as well as add more in areas that need it. I actually forgot to replace the fog on map02 because originally all the maps used fog instead of color. Expect more fixes and changes in the future.

Heres a list of fixes and changes.

Fixed the graphical error with the imp that made it look like it was meleeing before it died.
Fixed the cacodemons height.
Nerfed the LostSouls, they now are 50% less aggressive and better match the doom64 LostSouls aggressiveness.
maps 1-2 now have more dynamic lights and dynamic sector changes.
map02 now has sector coloring in addition to sector fading.
maps 1-3 now have more sector color variants, rather than just pure sector colors like blue green and red.

Heres a screenshot of the new map Chemical Factory

Marnetmar said:

Just so you know, this should give you an idea of how your maps could look:

http://iamsparky.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/d64_lightingcomparision3.png?w=950

That is very useful, thankyou.

Hopefully I will get the next alpha out before next week(if I stop making new maps before I completely tune each map to be more like a doom64 map)

Originally I was gonna release this at 6 maps but then I started making map07 right after I added the exit for map06.

The map lighting will take quite awhile to make perfect so bare with me here.

It's most important to get the architecture right first anyway.

For ideas on color schemes, the guy who made the map in the pic Marnetmar linked uses kuler. For some reason it seems you have to refresh the page in order for Random to do anything more than once.

I imagine the main reason you're using GZDoom instead of Doom64ex is for custom monsters. It's too bad that decorate isn't in Ex yet as pretty much everything else would be easier to do there.

Edit: This isn't being done in UDMF? I'd really recommend switching over to that as you can set separate colors for ceiling floor and walls in UDMF, much like Doom 64 itself. It just wouldn't make much sense not to use it for a project like this.

Even if it's a long way off, having the missing monsters in Doom 64 would be awesome.

Gez said:

Here's a screenshot from an experimental build of GZDoom with partial, unfinished, not-really-playable-beyond-the-first-level Doom 64 support.

When was that made? I'm guessing it was abandoned.

I don't see the point of this project. Who would want to play this? Is it for people that have already played doom64 source ports(which are still unfinished, btw) and are bored and want something custom now? I find that to be a rare case scenario.

I'm sure many, and myself would rather just want to be able to play original Doom 64 on PC. From what I understand, there is not one doom64 source port that is completely done, yet.

I would suggest you stop spending your time on this, and spend your time contributing to one of the existing doom64 source ports.

Other than that, good work on doing this type of thing; building a wad that brings doom64 to life. But, I'm not in favor of any customizations you do that "take away" from the original theme("look and feel") of doom64. I don't understand when you say "missing monsters"; who are you to say any monsters are missing--therefore, it's custom non-original doom64 you're building now.

@ arkore first of all this project isnt suppose to be another doom64 source port. This project is a doom64 modification/mappack wad just like any other wad project out there, except this is for doom64 instead classic doom.
This project is targeting those people that would like to play a doom64 themed wad without needing to use a source port designed solely for doom64.

I felt like doom64 needed some love since It would seem to be under modified and under played unlike the classic dooms.
I am not making this project to be 100% like doom64 since its not using the same engine, however I would like it to be close while still being different in its own way.

I always felt doom64 was a little lacking because of the missing enemies that couldnt be put in because of space. I dont know why Midway chose to cut the enemies that they did but surely if space wasnt an issue those enemies would of never been cut.
Eventually I do want to make models for the missing doom64 enemies as kind of a contribution to the doom community.

sector666 said:

When was that made? I'm guessing it was abandoned.

Abandoned, no; but on hold certainly.

Try and convince frank gilman to give us the 3d models! he still has them, butvdoesnt appear to want to make any effort to make a copy or upload them online...:(

ShaneAmp said:

Try and convince frank gilman to give us the 3d models! he still has them, butvdoesnt appear to want to make any effort to make a copy or upload them online...:(

How do you know he does?

Tracked him down on facebook, but he doesnt appear to be online much.. he said he still has them at least, it is possible the cut enemies models are unfinished. i have asked about getting them, explained there is still a modding community, and even said i would buy them. the last message i got was to tell aubrey he says hello..

A minor update, I finished my titlemap for this project.

Let me know what you think or what needs improving.

Thanks in advance!!

Guest DILDOMASTER666

These maps honestly look terrible without the intended lighting used on the textures, try using Glow{} in GLDEFS if you must use GZDoom instead of D64EX

Fisk said:

These maps honestly look terrible without the intended lighting used on the textures, try using Glow{} in GLDEFS if you must use GZDoom instead of D64EX

glow only works on floors and ceilings =[

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Alwaysdoomed said:

glow only works on floors and ceilings =[

Yes. That's the point.

Added some new pictures to the OP to reflect on the progress that iv made on this project!!

The images before were of maps iv scrapped.

Let me know what you think about them.