Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

I just checked and I was able to squeeze out between the wall and the switch platform by strafing. I'm not against adding a platform there, but if we're looking to keep changes as few as possible, the area is able to be escaped.

Membrain wrote:
I was able to squeeze out between the wall and the switch platform by strafing.

Membrain ... to strafe! I haven't thought of it. At least it's escapable and, therefore, bugfree we remain. Closed subject! :)

Good good. Good hustle on all the updates, guys. Playing the latest version now, and so far no bugs are jumping out.

@ pfl: How are things on finding the music sources? Worse case, we could just put the midis/mp3s up and see if anyone recognizes them.

EDIT: Just looked at the text file in your previous update, and it looks like you have all of them.

A small experimental update.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/f9f0567269/

Jumping and crouching were disabled in the entire wad, but forced on MAP22. Crouching was forced on MAP01 as well, because it's harmless.

Jumping was NOT forced on MAP13, because it actually spoiled the progression.

Pistol start was forced on all maps. Not sure if it was a good idea, but I wanted to try it.

What do you mean by "forced" crouching or jumping? Anyway, up to MAP08 of this latest run. I'm loving the forced pistol start. Really simplifies things.

Map 22 is an obligatory C/J. As for map 13, I'd love to reach the berserker without crouching myself there :L, so for ME, it becomes a regular move.

This wad needs to be freed from all pistol start obligation for one or more reasons, including this one; I'm currently running my fourth run with ÆOD 5.0 & ÆOD 5.03 DAT and I would not be able to get thru the wad if it was pistol start; impossible. It took me all I had to managed the first few levels. UV indeed. Then, once you build yourself an enjoyable arsenal, the wad becomes fully amazing to play with a sense of continuity. It's pistol start intended, open minded. I am now thinking of this final battle on map 22: Ultramarine Kingdom ... 8 Arch Viles replacement combined with a Cyber Demon impersonator; might be HARD.

I'm on level 17. Will finish this and that's it. Everything seems "perfect". At least from my vison of things and my level of appreciation of the expression "it's done" :)

My favorite level ? hahaha. But I like them all. ALL.

Last thing. We're the 6/1/2013. If all things remain as it is, why not a 6/6/2013 release ? That makes 6-6-6 and that's what Doom was made of :)

map 18 near ending yellow door. Are the 2 pinkeys supposed to be dormant/unshootable? Not sure if intentional. Also, near the beginning there's an inner white upper walkway with armor on it, might want to get the armor then jump back up (so maybe jumping allowed?). Not sure if jumping can break the map elsewhere though. Probably not a big deal. And I don't think I care either way if jumping is allowed on my map.. I guess I'd prefer to allow it but doesn't matter much.

gggmork said:

map 18 near ending yellow door. Are the 2 pinkeys supposed to be dormant/unshootable? Not sure if intentional.

I know what you're talking about, because I remember it from a previous incarnation of this map. Although I played through it again just now and didn't see the Pinkies, so maybe they're just on UV.

I recall Phendrena saying there was a 'trick' of some sort around there. I think the Pinkies are supposed to startle the player when you walk over a certain linedef or something... Anyway, I'll send him a message.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/851fe3a251/

MAP13 was updated.

1. The shootable switch bug was fixed.
2. A 'zdoomism' was fixed in the final room. This map turned out to be Boom-compatible.
3. One minor graphical glitch was fixed.

Oh yeah, I've commented out 'pistol start enforcer'. Many people would complain about it.

Good stuff. Playing the new version from the start now.

Da Werecat said:

Oh yeah, I've commented out 'pistol start enforcer'. Many people would complain about it.

I'm sure you're right, and some levels would be really hard if we couldn't carry weapons forward. I still can't beat all of them without cheating. Just wondering, though, how simple would it be to leave the script in -- deactivated -- to be triggered at will by something like the puke command in the console? Though to my knowledge, ZDoom can only puke scripts from the current level...

Ah, okay then. That's above my pay grade. Thanks for only commenting out the pistol start enforcer, though. I'll put up a link in the OP with it activated for people that want the additional challenge. I know Suitepee for one was interested in this.

schwerpunk said:

Ah, okay then. That's above my pay grade. Thanks for only commenting out the pistol start enforcer, though. I'll put up a link in the OP with it activated for people that want the additional challenge. I know Suitepee for one was interested in this.

I'm happy to do all the maps of Monochrome Mapping Project pistol start style if that's what they were designed for, but I'm not particularly gunning to have pistol starts. Just wanting to know what the maps were designed for to begin with. I'd happily play continuously also if the maps were designed for that mainly.

I will admit that I'm beginning to like pistol starts though after how well Coffee Break did them 10 out of 11 times.

Maybe paint the town red (21?) could benefit from a reject table to reduce slowdown (slows down a bit toward the later bigger city part for me in zdoom 2.6.1 at least). How? I don't know, rjy or someone I think described how in some thread.. uh, somewhere. Yeah. Plus I don't know if that would actually help.

joe-ilya said:

Why isn't my map's in the wad?
It should be map01-02

It was too late to comfortably add it to this latest project (DWMMP1). I probably could have been clearer, but I was speaking about including it in the next project (DWMMP2), after we're finished tweaking and bug squashing this one.

I'll add your map to the OP, though. So people can at least take a look at it without having to go into the comments. Although depending on the requirements we all decide on for DWMMP2, some things will likely have to change. For instance, we might set a hard restriction on types of textures. Would be neat to have monochrome monsters, too. But I'm getting ahead of myself! ^^

EDIT: derp, just remembered I already added it to the OP.

Wow, well that guarantees us a real bevy of feedback - the mapper's best friend! Re your screenshot: Reminds me powerfully of a similar section in your first entry, Control Centre. Just be aware that, as I mentioned to joe-ilya, we haven't decided on the restrictions for the next MMP, so you may have to change some aspects of your map down the line.

@ Jaws In Space: Can't wait to try it.

@ Da Werecat: Cool, now I understand why I wasn't able to get the berserk pack :) Also, what is the way to get to the BFG? Last but not least another bug here as the platform won't crush the player depending on where he's at.

@ gggmork: Good question. I will go seek that lagging effect.

@ Scientist ? :))

pfl said:

Last but not least another bug here as the platform won't crush the player depending on where he's at.

Haha, it's not a bug, it's a feature! How else would you got that armor? It's just an illusion of a crusher, it's just the border that crushes.

The map does have some bugs, though. I made a fixed version:

* backpack secret now counts to secret %
* berserk secret had problems with activation - fixed
* added one column in crusher room that disables unwanted shortcut

And one more thing, my map should have jumping/crouching disabled, and in the pre-release, it doesn't.

Scypek2 said:

* berserk secret had problems with activation - fixed

It was already fixed in the latest pre-release. Along with some more bugs.

By the way, you have "Scroll Wall using Sidedef Offsets" on linedefs 511 and 886, but all the offsets are zeros.

@ Scypek2: I had found that "no bug" on my first try on the map and forgot about it. I remember I had this thought about not being able to get to the armor otherwise. So that's settled :). The jump/crouch feature was added to reach the berserk secret and such until Da Werecat came in with the solution; he had fixed some bugs. While I have you, the only secret I can't find in the map is the BFG. Any suggestion/clue ?

@ Da werecat: I did once with no avail ... Ok, next time :).

I have yet another bug for you. This time, if you press "up" when the elevator is already "upped", well, you will get the letters out of the floor !!! and get stuck a bit. Can you investigate that :)))

I will play your update tomorrow. Zzzzz for now.

pfl said:

@ Scientist ? :))

I'm back; I've been laying low for a while :).

BTW. The music track for map22 (Ultramarine Kingdom - CorSair) is
"Plasma" by Lee Jackson. It's from Duke Nukem 3D. I renamed the entry to MARINE somewhere along the line.

pfl said:

I have yet another bug for you. This time, if you press "up" when the elevator is already "upped", well, you will get the letters out of the floor !!! and get stuck a bit. Can you investigate that :)))

Fixed it. Can't upload it right now though.

A limit-removing map, heh.

[UPDATE]

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/87d6a029e4/

MAP05
All recent changes plus a few really insignificant ones.

MAP13
Latest 'official' version with two minor bugs fixed again.

MAP19
Surreal letters of imprisonment had been neutralized.