Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

03 Support Storage, 11 Outpost Gamma & 16 Town Hall are Jaws In Space. Do you have 2x identity ? :)

Oh! I got stuck on "These are mine", looking too fast on "If you're not referring to maps' author". shame shame on my poor self :) ...

Yeah, the skies are cool, especially the city one, but it is a little late for an 11th hour change like that. I like the idea for the next Monochrome project, though.

Anyway, just gave the files a once-over. Can I confirm that this...

Da Werecat said:

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/03f0943d67/

MAP07
A megasphere wasn't show up on HMP, rendering the secret completely useless.

MAP11
I had to raise 2 ceilings and paste 4 textures to allow some platforms to lower with complevel 2. Of course, it was totally unnecessary.

MAP23
An unpleasantly looking vertex shift was fixed. Monsters can telefrag now.

...is the final version? I.e. that no one is presently working on the DWMMP1.wad file?

All the major changes to text file had already been applied (thanks Da Werecat & pfl), but here's the latest version with a few tweaks. Including links to dropbox mirrors.

Good-good. Welp, I'm having trouble connecting to archives.gamers.org with FileZilla. I'm following the instructions posted here (idgames FAQ thread) for uploading files using a GUI FTP client. Something about my IP already being connected and having to wait for 10 minutes... Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Yep. Go into your settings and then go to the transfers tab. Set the download, upload, and simultaneous transfers to 1 so that it stops trying to connect multiple times to upload and download files.

@ Membrain: Thanks! Well then, we're ready to go. I'll update the OP with release info once upload is complete, and hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Haha, keep that drum roll going, pfl, I've run into another snag. Maybe the same one.

here's what I'm looking at right now (large image). I changed the settings as you recommended, Membrain (Settings panel shown in top-right of screenshot). I tried disconnecting for over ten minutes then coming back. I tried turning off my firewall completely. Still tells me I'm logged in multiple times. I'm hitting Ctrl+P to "Process Queue." Maybe it's one of these other buttons...

I get the feeling I'm missing something glaringly obvious... :p

I can't take this tension, haha. We're so bleeding close!!! Anyway, I'm searching the forums for an answer. I'm sure this has come up before.

EDIT: Oh, it's worked! Alright, links coming soon.

It usually takes about a week or so, or at least that was the experience I had last time. Interestingly enough, both this project and my own personal release will be coming out in the same slew of releases, if I estimate correctly.

Oh! Good to know - Dropbox link it is, then. PMing dobugabumaru and SuitePee the good news. :)

OP updated, bringing us to UPDATE #18 - RELEASE! Now where's my beer...

To quote that Starcraft 2 trailer:

"It's about damn time!"

My Let's Play of this should start tomorrow, all things being good. Is this final version designed to be pistol start, continuous or ideal for both playstyles? Couldn't find anything in the readme file....

The first map is pretty hard, but then it gets easier for a good long while. Every map is technically beatable with pistol start. MAP22 is the only entry that had me cheat myself some more ammo, because it's so open ended you'll have to run around into all the cubbies in order to scrounge up enough boom to get through.

If you want a smoother LP, then you might want to keep your stuff between levels, but if you want to experience the full challenge of each level, then pistol starts are probably the way to go (at least until MAP19 or 20 onward, where you may want to consider saving ammo for MAP22).

I can't really recommend one over the other, because each level is pretty different, although most of them provide more than adequate firepower for what's contained in them.

@ Katamori: 23. But, 32 if you want to consider the remaining Doom2 levels :)

@ The Monochrome Mapping Project team: Like Scientist before me, I want to thank you all. Fantastic team, very productive, et cetera. It was an honor to assist you in bringing this to life :)

@ The DWmegawad Club: thanks for the publicity. What more could we expect, really ? I'll, for one, be around to follow your progress as I have played this beast PLENTY in the last few weeks :) Hope you enjoy as much as I/we did.

@ Any Doomers: this 23 rooms museum will get you on your guards. Pistol start for the ones seeking excitement; Select HMP for an instructional visit; UV for the few intellectual ones >: Need a guide :?

IMPORTANT EDIT: Woah! Our project is set to follow the Stardate 20X6 this month at The DWmegawad Club. We knew that. But has anyone tried the Stardate 20X6 maps yet ? Holy Epic. I am on the first map now and this feels like Sunder ... ouch!

RE EDIT: Yep, they are indeed playing an Epic mapset à la Sunder down there at The Club. I know 'cause I joined in. This Stardate 20x6 is so MUCH harder than ours, the "training" they are getting with it will let them breeze our set with their eyes closed, afterward :))) I think I will go back there and suggest them a Nightmare run for our wad :) Anyway.

I guess I will attempt a pistol start Let's Play on UV then, although I might mix things up if they get too difficult.

Congratulations! :D

Ehm ... prerequisite is a current GZDoom?

LigH said:

Congratulations! :D

Ehm ... prerequisite is a current GZDoom?

It's not a hard prerequisite -- last time I checked (admittedly a while ago) -- all levels worked in ZDoom as well. But a couple of levels make use of dynamic lights and other GL features, and you need GZDoom to experience those, though the levels should play just fine without them, if you can't run GZDoom for some technical or preferential reason. :)

If anyone is having chugginess on MAP02 (the most dyn. light-intensive map in the megawad), try messing with the dynamic light settings. Specifically, flick "Force Additive Lighting" from yes/no; same with "Use Shaders For Lights" and "Clip Lights." Having the 'wrong' settings here reduced the map to a Myst homage for me. :3

I mean, my favourite source port is usually Risen3D; but that one is probably not completely ZDoom compatible, may not support all the scripting.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbI6-fu868nN042vQ7mkK-NI_p1AGA5W

My Monochrome Mapping Project Let's Play has officially begun....hope this helps get this awesome looking wad some extra publicity!

I will be expunging my main thoughts on each map in the DWMegawad Club thread as I progress, but let's just say that 'Dada' by Scientist:

A) Wasn't as difficult as schwerpunk made it out to be. :D
B) Was a good opening map, especially liked the use of Spectres.

Scientist's map is a killer opener; it gives the mood :)