Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

ACS Scripting - Freezing everything

Title says it. I want all "things" including the player to stop. Any ideas?

Spawn an actor that goes on a zero-tic loop. There you go, everything freezed. :p

Seriously though, you cannot freeze everything. You can use a timestop effect and combine it with PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN or something, but this will not stop actors immune to timestop (though they do not exist in the vanilla games), you cannot freeze sector movement and other non-thing thinkers (so doors will close, platforms will raise back, glowing lights will pulsate, lightning may strike, etc.), animated textures will keep cycling or warping or whatever it is they do, and you cannot prevent the player from doing a few things such as using the "thaw" console command.

Gez said:

Spawn an actor that goes on a zero-tic loop. There you go, everything freezed. :p

Seriously though, you cannot freeze everything. You can use a timestop effect and combine it with PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN or something, but this will not stop actors immune to timestop (though they do not exist in the vanilla games), you cannot freeze sector movement and other non-thing thinkers (so doors will close, platforms will raise back, glowing lights will pulsate, lightning may strike, etc.), animated textures will keep cycling or warping or whatever it is they do, and you cannot prevent the player from doing a few things such as using the "thaw" console command.

Well, I meant excluding any other thing than "things" like sectors/lights/textures (I even wanted to make some changes in the sector's light colors after freezing the things). And using thaw wouldn't be a problem since it is considered cheating just like any other cheating methods.

Use a script to tag all things from 0 to whatever, 1000-1000whatever. Then, use a script to PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN everything from 1000-1000whatever. After you're done your stuff, unfreeze by turning the flag off, and reduce the tags by 1000.

I THINK that's what you want, and with my shitty ACS skills I highly doubt that would work.