Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infirnex

E3 2013 Presentation: Microsoft and Sony

So Sony's presentation today has just ended at the time of this writing, as well as Microsoft's Earlier.

Microsoft revealed some games (Killer Instinct grabbed my attention), and revealed a launch date and price: November 2013, at $499.

Sony revealed a lot today on games, mainly Destiny, and a lot on Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag. Sony also threw a lot of hits at Microsoft, revealing no DRM on the PS4, as well as no online connection required, and a cheaper price at $399.

They also revealed the console itself today:

I, for one, welcome our new VCR consoles. Though joking aside, I like the design more than the Xbox One.

Thoughts on today's events? Anything that struck your attention? And is this enough to purchase a new console?

Infirnex said:

Microsoft revealed some games (Killer Instinct grabbed my attention), and revealed a launch date and price: November 2013, at $499.

I'm sure we'll see a nice write-up about that on Kotaku.

Avoozl said:

Sony is still sticking to that terrible controller scheme?

They've altered it a bit. The general shape is the same, but the grips are curved nicer and have a grip to them, more akin to a hand. Also, R2 and L2 are now curved inwards, instead of curving down.

This makes the controller a bit more comforting, though we don't know, compared to the Xbox's (which is generally the same), which is more comfortable.

I'd love to see how much those consoles actually cost to manufacture, because either Sony is really selling them at a loss, they got ridiculous deals with part manufacturers or the hardware is weaker than people thought.

I'm sold on the PS4 though, that's for sure. Microsoft needs to just stick to computers, but Windows 7 might be the last thing worth a damn from them.

You'll see the punchline coming but don't tell me it doesn't make you smile :)

Bummer that you have to pay for online though. Or it would be if I didn't already own a PC and cared about muiltiplayer.

Captain Red said:

The best part in all of this is, that PS4 was never going to have DRM stopping sharing games and used game sales anyway. But with the whole debacle over XBox1 MS basically sent Sony a gift basket full of PR ammunition to use against themselves - and Sony didn't shy to use it.

Gj Microsoft, your shareholders must be excited now. :D

Captain Red said:

The "moving" music that plays is what gets me about that, haha.

Captain Red said:

Is that an actual offical Sony video or just some joke video? Because if it is the former then fucking lol.

Captain Red said:

Damn it! Beat me to it again!

EDIT: but yeah seeing the burn/hating on Xbox is very satisfying, I really want that console to go down in flames... the less control corporations from the "civilized" Western world (who happen to have ties to their government, who in turn have ties to the South African Communist government) has over the gaming industry the better.

hardcore_gamer said:

Is that an actual offical Sony video or just some joke video? Because if it is the former then fucking lol.

It's an official video on Playstaion's own account. Unlike the joke adds that have been spread around.

The killer instinct announcement was disappointing as all hell, it basically just looked like Street Fighter 4 with KI characters in it...
Horrible cartoony graphics, ugly designs and virtually no gore and its not even being developed by rare, might as well of not bothered :-/

Sony had me sold at the purple stripe, but that video just sweetened the deal.

That said, I WON'T be getting one right away, as I've said before I want to make sure the reliability is there. Lest we forget.

... mmm ... purple stripe ...

Yeah, that ad is great, so is the lower price point. This thing actually has a reason for existing in a world with PCs, unlike the Xbone. It's a shame none of the games (from either side) really grabbed my attention. Forza 5 was kind of cool, but I'll wait and see if they've really made any changes or if it's just prettier and using your fellow jerkasses for AI.

In terms of exclusives, Nintendo's already looking the best this year, but isn't that always the case?

Both of their consoles have such a blatant late 80's design. I don't know what kind of fashion analysts they're employing. The Xbone in particular could easily be mistaken for a VCR.

Avoozl said:

Sony is still sticking to that terrible controller scheme?

I prefer, as in massively so, the Sony controller to the X-Box one. I've liked every version of playstation controller but find the fat, asymmetric xbox one uncomfortable, unintuitive and generally bad to use.

PS controller is the best in the business. That's why I use a knockoff of it on PC and only get out my 360 controller with games that are too shit to recognize anything else.

But yeah, purple stripe :D

Enjay said:

I prefer, as in massively so, the Sony controller to the X-Box one. I've liked every version of playstation controller but find the fat, asymmetric xbox one uncomfortable, unintuitive and generally bad to use.

Are you being genuine, or does this stem from anti-Microsoftism?

If we were talking about the original Xbox's controller, I'd be right behind you. Come to think of it, most controllers blow. But I can't imagine how anyone could hate the 360 controller so vehemently.

I have a PS3, but I had a 360 (before I gave it to my ex), and I prefer the feel of the 360 controller in my hands. That said, I prefer the layout of the PS3 controller and the quality of the buttons, joysticks, and analog shoulder contacts. Although I really wish those shoulder contacts had an upturn on them like the 360's. After a while it gets uncomfortable to keep my middle finger on there in driving games.

You can buy PS3 clip-on triggers for, like, a quid. I have them on all my PS3 pads.

Did I mention the purple stripe?

DoomUK said:

Are you being genuine, or does this stem from anti-Microsoftism?

If we were talking about the original Xbox's controller, I'd be right behind you. Come to think of it, most controllers blow. But I can't imagine how anyone could hate the 360 controller so vehemently.

The 360 controller has the same horrible ergonomics, just in a different size. There is no logic behind the skewed placement of the analog sticks - other than the sake of being different - while the rounded buttons, protruding triggers and clunky D-pad scream, "Hope you like blisters!"

Symmetrical is superior.

schwerpunk said:

Vid got taken down. Care to give us a synopsis?

Microsoft basically said that if you have no internet connection, play an Xbox 360.

Here's another brilliant statement from this shit-heel, "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards". This is also a statement said by no gamer ever.

"Thus, it would not make sense to invest time and resources into creating technology to allow gamers to play older games on the Xbox One, he said."

Instead they want to charge you $20 to download an old game that's been ported for the xbox one. As if they totally are blind to the ton of money they make off of selling people ported versions of arcade classics.

"Speaking with The Wall Street Journal, Mattrick said only 5 percent of gamers play past-generation titles on new machines."

Hmm, maybe the reason is because you can't even fucking play older games, because 360 is already not backwards compatible for certain titles (i.e. Doom 3 for xbox on xbox 360)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-if-youre-backwards-compatible-youre-really-backwards-6408741

MS's greed and arrogance will not only comeback to bite them in the ass in sales, it's going to take off an entire butt-cheek.

Kontra Kommando said:

MS's greed and arrogance will not only comeback to bite them in the ass in sales, it's going to take off an entire butt-cheek.

Don't know about that.

I still remember all of the people who screamed "BOYCOTT!!!!" when MW 2 came out and yet most of them bought it anyways. The consumers are weakminded whores.

Kontra Kommando said:

Here's another brilliant statement from this shit-heel, "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards". This is also a statement said by no gamer ever.

"Thus, it would not make sense to invest time and resources into creating technology to allow gamers to play older games on the Xbox One, he said."

Technically, it's true. If the architecture changes enough, supporting the older software becomes complicated; since you end up needing either to emulate the old hardware (and for the immediately previous generation, you aren't going to get good emulation performances) or to include the old hardware alongside the new (and that makes the device all the more expensive).

Kontra Kommando said:

Most definitely not. They'll lose maybe 1% of their fanbase, at most. Meanwhile, the gaming market keeps expanding, meaning that all the new people for whom the XBO will be the first console will more than compensate for the few grumpy members of the vocal minority who did buy the Xbox and Xbox 360 but actually, really won't buy the Xbox One.

Several retailers have reported the Xbox One got record-breaking number of preorders. It will be a massive commercial success for Microsoft, and it will comfort them to go even further in this direction.