Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

Lego soldier enemy test

This is a fully functional Lego soldier enemy for ZDoom! I made this as DECORATE practice and as a test for a possible Lego themed TC. Holy crap the sprites were time consuming! First I had to make each pose as a separate model in LeoCAD (a 3D Lego modeler), then I had to render them in LDView, take all the pictures, resize them in Pain.net, and finally convert to Doom format in SLADE3. I have a whole new level of respect for enemy sprite makers.
The Lego soldier itself works like the standard zombie man, but it's slightly faster, has 50 health and uses Wolfenstein SS sounds. I really don't know how it's actually supposed to sound. I'm used to seeing mute Lego characters in games.
EDIT: Update! The soldier now gibs properly! It sends five pieces flying in random directions when killed with a rocket launcher.

Link to the test WAD here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v39l680su04rdn6/LegoTest5.zip
If the legs of the soldier seem to be "flashing", it's because I had specular lighting on when I rendered the frames. There's a rocket launcher in the test level, just to the right of the player spawn.

haha thats cool. The leg flashing is a bit jarring and I'd have done the death differently myself, but nicely done all the same.

the gibbed death. It looks a bit too neat and symetrical for something thats been blown to pieces, but thats just my opinion.

Although I can't test it right now, if you're making this for ZDoom exclusively, maybe you should use decorate and have his separate parts explode all over the room for a gib?

That's what I've been thinking too, but I don't know enough DECORATE or ACS yet to be able to make that. Gotta find some tutorials and examples. EDIT: Oops! I just noticed that I wrote SLAB3 instead of SLADE3 in the first post. Had to fix that.