Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

3dge edge graphics problem. [SOLVED]

yucky!

Yea I would think that may be ATI/AMD drivers....but im only basing that on the fact you say you have an ATI card, I hate ATI cards and will always go nVidia, so basically I wouldn't listen to me and wait for somebody more helpful to come along.....which im sure will be shortly.

However, in the mean time it may be worth messing about with driver settings and possibly role back the drovers....or use different ones at least.

I was hoping someone more familiar with Edge or ATI had an answer.
But, try disabling shaders and other advanced drawers and report if it makes a difference. Try this in both the 3dge and in the ATI driver controls.
If it does make a difference, then your driver is not handling some detail of the hardware properly.

Try all available draw modes.

3dge drawing would have to be really messed up to do that by itself,
and someone would have noticed by now.

Try DoomLegacy with the -V2 switch in OpenGL and in native draw modes.
Because it has so many options and reporting it will probably be able to diagnose a driver issue faster.

I have never seen nor encountered this oddity; it is, like the others said, most likely a video driver issue. Are you using the default ATI driver that comes with Windows or the ATI-issued one?

The only thing I've slugged away with was nasty driver bugs when first upgrading to Vista using EDGE, but that was a long time ago.

Try running an OpenGL game like Quake 3 and see if it persists. Also, you can use command line switches to disable effects and resolution/color depth (see 3dge-Cvars.txt in docs). I'm unfamiliar with Win8 so I'm not sure if they've changed anything specific to this or not.

Far Cry 2 and Gzdoom have no issues with Gl graphics. I am using the ATI drivers from the website. It is just 3dge that has the issue. I have updated to Windows 8.1 and that did not fix it either. I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Are there any x64 Linux binaries I could get ahold of? I could not compile the code on Linux; I got this error.

homer@deep-thought ~/Documents/3dge $ make -f Makefile.linux 
mkdir -p obj_linux/coal
mkdir -p obj_linux/ddf
mkdir -p obj_linux/deh_edge
mkdir -p obj_linux/edge
mkdir -p obj_linux/epi
mkdir -p obj_linux/glbsp
mkdir -p obj_linux/timidity
g++ -O2 -ffast-math -fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -pipe -I. -DLINUX -DUSE_OGG -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -o obj_linux/ddf/anim.o -c ddf/anim.cc 
In file included from ddf/anim.cc:22:0:
ddf/local.h:82:2: error: ‘ptrdiff_t’ does not name a type
ddf/local.h:229:2: error: ‘ptrdiff_t’ does not name a type
ddf/anim.cc:46:1: error: too many initializers for ‘const commandlist_t {aka const commandlist_s}’
ddf/anim.cc:46:1: error: too many initializers for ‘const commandlist_t {aka const commandlist_s}’
ddf/anim.cc:46:1: error: invalid conversion from ‘long int’ to ‘const commandlist_s*’ [-fpermissive]
ddf/anim.cc:46:1: error: invalid conversion from ‘long int’ to ‘const commandlist_s*’ [-fpermissive]
I am using gcc v4.7.3 on Linux Mint 15 and SDL v1.2.15.

Were you perhaps running a 32 bit binary under a 64 bit OS ??
There are some compatibility settings in Windows.

DoomLegacy has 64 bit binary at http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/ .
It uses SDL.

Does 3dge uses drawing libraries like SDL, Allegro, etc. ??
Are Far Cry 2 and Gzdoom compiled to use SDL ??
Do you have the correct SDL,
or is 3dge using a static linked SDL library ??
(If you rename the SDL library and 3dge still runs the same, then 3dge is static linked).
(DoomWiki says nothing on 3dge library requirements !)

This isn't a solution so much as an experiment.

http://www.titaniumgl.tk/

This is titaniumgl. It's a wrapper for open gl games that allows them to use directX rendering. Caution: while it does function with 3DGE, it does not work perfectly. Dynamic lights will be drawn incorrectly and depending on your system specs, there will be a frame rate drop.

Ahhhh, finally got that pic to load. I think you've already got a gl wrapper in your 3dge folder. It's called Qeffects (opengl32.dll) and you haven't got the Qeffectsgl config file set up right. Just remove the opengl32.dll or, if you're into fake bloom, edit the qeffects config. file to look like the following.

[1.36D.exe]
Anisotropy=0
Multisample=0
MultisampleHint=0
Bloom=6
BloomSteps=16
BloomDarken=3
BloomScale=1
SSAO=1
SSAOScale=8.0
SSAOMinZ=0.005
SSAOMaxZ=1.0
Hue=-0
Saturation=20
Lightness=0
Emboss=1
EmbossScale=0.666
DOF=20
DOFMinZ=0.025
DOFSpeed=0.1
DOFScale=2.0
RenderFrame=2
SSAOScale=2.0

Be sure to save if you do use that wrapper and no you can't use both opengl32.dlls at the same time.

neubejiita said:

Deleting the Opengl32.dll fixed the problem. Thank you.

YAY - problem fixed, glad you got it sorted.

Yea I remember having problems with OpoenGL.dll files along time ago, think it was to get something like Unreal working, but remember it messing up a game I had on the Quake 3 engine. Luckily though I knew what the problem was quickly enough.

What exactly happened here? Did you have OpenGL32.dll in the base directory or in the System32 directory? Were you using the wrapper all along?

Need some details so I know exactly what happened to prevent something like this in the future.

Opengl32.dll in the same folder as the 3dge executable. Removing it solved the problem. This is a compatibility issue I guess. The ATI drivers work fine with the 3dge executable on Windows 8.1 now.

@ chu:

I was able to replicate his issue exactly up to a month ago by getting the first, second or third setting in the Qeffects config wrong, with the first being the hardest culprit. To get 3dge's exe. name right you had to go to properties.

[1.36D.exe]
Anisotropy=0
Multisample=0

As of now though I can run 3dge version 1.36D with any of the above settings changed and cannot replicate neubejiita's issue. 3dge performs fine, complete with all that fake bloom stuff intact, no matter the name in the first setting. In fact, the only way I can get 3dge to stop using qeffects is to remove the opengl32.dll.

Here's a small screen grab. Notice the lit midtextures at the base of the freedoom crate.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n16/psuedozardozz/shot01_zps59eefcee.png

And that was with the exe named [gldoom].

I'll have to try this with the onboard video instead of the geforce 8400 GS card to see if I can get that messed up screen again.

Well, what I want to know is why Opengl32.dll was even placed in the 3DGE folder to begin with. 3DGE uses the system Opengl driver - I'm certain you only place it in there if you own a 3DFX card since they used their own implementation.

Ill append the documentation with the next release so people don't try this again. QEffects is nice but I don't want people to think that we officially support something like that.

I had the file in the folder already I extracted the 3dge files to. At least we know now that it is not compatible with this. I must have had it left over from an older installation of some source port. No matter, 3dge runs perfectly on Windows 8.1 though. ATI graphics are no problem. Thank you for keeping Edge alive too.

Chu said:
Ill append the documentation with the next release so people don't try this again. QEffects is nice but I don't want people to think that we officially support something like that. [/B]

Might as well add titaniumgl, that stereoscopic 3d thing, any exe. wrapper really. Although coaxing them to work is possible, it has to be something a port dev. should be weary of.

neubejiita said:

I had the file in the folder already I extracted the 3dge files to. At least we know now that it is not compatible with this. I must have had it left over from an older installation of some source port. No matter, 3dge runs perfectly on Windows 8.1 though. ATI graphics are no problem. Thank you for keeping Edge alive too.

That's a plus! Thanks for posting about it so we could track it down. And now it's confirmed that the port runs great in Win 8+ as well. Finally, thank you for using and testing 3DGE! It's good to know that it still has a userbase of sorts.