Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

Do you still want daily builds at free.doomers.org?

I just notice that the daily builds were last updated Fri May 18 20:16:28 2012 +0100
- presumably when the switch was made from git://git.sv.gnu.org/freedoom.git
to git://github.com/chungy/freedoom.git (which I've only just noticed)

I guess nobody else noticed the daily autobuilds were broken either. Which begs the question: do you still want them?

They are still useful, especially with a release coming up sometime. We still get bug reports for things that were fixed a long time ago.

Daily build testing will greatly help with testers that don't make their own builds.

I was one of those testers complaining about things already fixed. At the time, I didn't know of the daily builds, so I used the package in Debian unstable. Maybe it'd be good to mention these daily builds on http://freedoom.nongnu.org/ or at least on the download page there.

Yes, I think it would. I'm kind-of surprised that it isn't already. (Perhaps it once was.)

Thanks for letting me know - fixed. Seems the dir-listing mod got dropped in an upgrade of the web server.

Jon and others handling Incoming:
Is posting stuff to Incoming still recommended, as per the instructions in the forum post "How to submit stuff to freedoom" ?? I don't think there is anyone who can get access to read the submitted files.

The procedure that I have needed is:
1. Post file to Incoming (to formally submit it, per the instructions).
2. Upload to SpeedyShare (so others can see it, incoming cannot be read).
3. Post an notice of the file in the FreeDoom forum.
4. Send an email to RJY (because no one takes notice of the file on SpeedyShare and it has a limited lifetime before it is gone, and last I heard, he cannot read Incoming either (lost password)).

Can we make this procedure a little simpler ??
For one reason, RJY may be getting tired of getting personal email.

wesleyjohnson said:

1. Post file to Incoming (to formally submit it, per the instructions).
2. Upload to SpeedyShare (so others can see it, incoming cannot be read).
3. Post an notice of the file in the FreeDoom forum.
4. Send an email to RJY (because no one takes notice of the file on SpeedyShare and it has a limited lifetime before it is gone, and last I heard, he cannot read Incoming either (lost password)).

Can we make this procedure a little simpler ??
For one reason, RJY may be getting tired of getting personal email.

I quite agree, you having to do all that is just wrong!

Regarding FTP access: I haven't lost my password as I never had one. All I have is commit access to https://github.com/chungy/freedoom. To the best of my knowledge, the only person who does have FTP access is Catoptromancy. (So, whenever anyone uploaded anything to incoming, in order for it to be committed, he ended up having to rehost it on coffeenet. I imagine this is as annoying for him as it is for you to be constantly uploading things to speedyshare and the like.)

In an ideal world, there would be technical maintainers who could handle both incoming and the repository. There would also be artistic directors who can sort through incoming and tell the tech guys what to commit and what to throw out.¹ Of course both roles could be filled by the same person. No, I am not volunteering.

——
¹ Alternatively, you throw away the idea of trying to maintain freedoom like a programming project. Instead you do it like all other community megawads, with SLADE or something.

It looks as if no one is maintaining incoming, by looks it is being ignored. It still has johnson_pain_05.zip, which was supposed to be burned.

Either we should use it like it was meant (thus not needing the SpeedyShare) or should remove it from the instructions.
If incoming is removed from the instructions, then a submission method that leads to one of the people who has GIT commit access is required.

My weak link in submitting to Freedoom is when RJY gets tired of getting those emails. Then I don't know what I will do.

I have no idea why Catoptromancy would have to use CoffeeNet.
Doesn't he have GIT commit access ??

Hi - I host the FTP server but don't maintain the stuff on it. I gave Catoptromancy access to read and delete files and can do so for other freedoom members if you wish, but I don't have time to manage the content myself.

This has all the appearance of being forgotten again. Nothing is changing about submissions, or to incoming ??

It is not like we have an overwhelming number of submissions to deal with, monthly.

Idea 1. Could just change the procedure to involve email-ing the submission to someone (like RJY), and remove the middle steps.

Idea 2. You could give a password to RJY, and then I could just email him to look in incoming.

Preempt 3. I am using a dial-up modem, on someone else's computer to make submissions (my computer is off-internet), so I cannot volunteer myself.

Idea 4. Change procedure to email a sourceforge mailbox which becomes the new submissions. Requires handling 2 MB files as attachments, which some of the accounts will not allow.

Idea 5. Create a new submissions GIT. It is open to submissions from project members. It resides on the same machine as Freedoom GIT, so transfers to the Freedoom GIT would be easier. I do not know how to make that happen. Probably would not work.

Can SOMEONE (Catop maybe) delete, erase, and destroy the tainted johnson_pain_05.zip off incoming.

Email would seem like a much better solution than the constantly-broken FTP server.