Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BloodRayne

Grimm:Quest for the Gatherer's Key has been released!

The final version of Grimm:Quest for the Gatherer's Key has been released!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/grimm-quest-for-the-gatherers-key/downloads

I want to thank Justin Lassen for the most gorgeous and dark soundtrack for Grimm. His sound always grabs me and he captures the mix between Gothic and Persian influences in a truly unique manner. Grimm is not the only game he writes music for, go check out some of his other work as well. Justin, I can't thank you enough!
I want to thank Sikk for his cool work on Sikkmod, it really adds flavour to Grimm, thanks!!!

Screens!

Complete walkthrough part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0a8je58eUCM#at=53

This release offers many new features and gameplay elements over the first releases, as well as bug fixes and again an hour extra gameplay. It features new enemies, new weaponry and new maps.

Are you ready? Then download it now!

In order to help you on your adventures in Grimm I have compiled 5 tutorials that will help you understand the traps, weapons and enemies in Grimm, including the introduction to some advanced gameplay techniques and skills you must learn in order to defeat the minions of evil. Please take some time to read them as they contain important information about running and configuring Grimm.

Starting Grimm and Configuring Advanced Graphical Options
Grimm Strategy and Survival Guide: General Guide
Grimm Strategy and Survival Guide: Difficulty Levels Explained
Grimm Strategy and Survival Guide: Enemies and Weaponry
Grimm Strategy and Survival Guide: Traps and Pitfalls

If you run into any bugs then I would be very much obliged if you would take the time to post about them and explain in the post what happened before you ran into the bug. This way I can try to reproduce any issues and fix them, I love hearing feedback from you guys and girls so don't be shy and let me hear from you!

Important: Grimm does not run on the BFG edition of Doom 3, it does run on all other regular and steam versions.
Most importantly I wish you the very best of fun while playing Grimm!

The full source code is included in the download!

Hi!

I confess that I've never heard about this mod before, but I'd like to tell you that from all the descriptions and screenshots and videos this mod looks totally awesome and I'd really like to play it! However, I'm running into issues and I hope you can help me out.

Well, as you recommended, I've read the textfiles and tutorials, but after that I came to conclusion that all I need is to move the grimm folder in my Doom 3 directory and start it like I start every other Doom 3 mod, from the menu. I did so and started the mod. Grimm's small loading screen (with the red fleshy background) appeared for a short while, then it jumped into all-black fullscreen with quite a big white cursor. And that was all. As I later discovered, the program stopped working, probably right in the moment when the black screen appeared. You see, no menu appeared, so I kinda don't know what to do now. I tried launching the mod also by shortcut with the parameters you provided, tried several ways, but the result was always the same. I'm, of course, running it with normal non-BFG version of Doom 3 and other D3 mods run fine for me.

I hope you don't mind discussing it here (it IS a Doom 3 forum anyway) and not on your site / Doom3world.

And for all Doomworlders reading this, why aren't any replies here yet? It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into this project, and author(s) would really deserve attention here on Doomworld too. I can't help myself, this just looks TOO GREAT!!!

scifista42 said:

Hi!

I confess that I've never heard about this mod before, but I'd like to tell you that from all the descriptions and screenshots and videos this mod looks totally awesome and I'd really like to play it! However, I'm running into issues and I hope you can help me out.

Well, as you recommended, I've read the textfiles and tutorials, but after that I came to conclusion that all I need is to move the grimm folder in my Doom 3 directory and start it like I start every other Doom 3 mod, from the menu. I did so and started the mod. Grimm's small loading screen (with the red fleshy background) appeared for a short while, then it jumped into all-black fullscreen with quite a big white cursor. And that was all. As I later discovered, the program stopped working, probably right in the moment when the black screen appeared. You see, no menu appeared, so I kinda don't know what to do now. I tried launching the mod also by shortcut with the parameters you provided, tried several ways, but the result was always the same. I'm, of course, running it with normal non-BFG version of Doom 3 and other D3 mods run fine for me.

I hope you don't mind discussing it here (it IS a Doom 3 forum anyway) and not on your site / Doom3world.

And for all Doomworlders reading this, why aren't any replies here yet? It's obvious that a lot of effort was put into this project, and author(s) would really deserve attention here on Doomworld too. I can't help myself, this just looks TOO GREAT!!!

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it!
I've seen this kind of bug before and this usually happens due to remnants of old mods. Perhaps the best option might be to do a clean install of Doom3 then upgrade to the latest patch here: http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/DOOM3-1.3.1.exe

Another option might be to manually go through your BASE directory and see if there are any custom files in there.

I hope that will fix it, if not let me know here and I'll help you out further.

This is an error message I get when trying to launch the mod using command "Doom3 +set fs_game grimm" after I cleaned up my Doom 3 directory and ensured that no foreign content is in the "base" directory or the whole "Doom 3" directory:

Error during initialization

glprogs/environment.vfp
-------------------------------
----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----
glprogs/CgVP_interaction.cg: File not found

glprogs/CgFP_interaction.cg: File not found

using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
using ARB2 renderSystem
found DLL in pak file: c:\hry\DOOM 3\grimm\game00.pk4/gamex86.dll
copy gamex86.dll to c:\hry\DOOM 3\grimm\gamex86.dll
ERROR: wrong game DLL API version
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
Also if there is any way to avoid upgrading Doom 3 to version 1.3, I'd be glad, because just now I spent quite a time trying to make it working, but it doesn't accept my (legit) CD key. None of the ways to solve it I've found did work. I eventually had to delete all files and replace with backups I fortunately made before, otherwise it wouldn't let me play Doom 3 anymore.
Yeah I admit - I'm also trying to avoid a complete reinstallation as well.

scifista42 said:

This is an error message I get when trying to launch the mod using command "Doom3 +set fs_game grimm" after I cleaned up my Doom 3 directory and ensured that no foreign content is in the "base" directory or the whole "Doom 3" directory:

glprogs/environment.vfp
----- R_ReloadARBPrograms -----
glprogs/CgVP_interaction.cg: File not found

glprogs/CgFP_interaction.cg: File not found

using ARB_vertex_buffer_object memory
using ARB2 renderSystem
found DLL in pak file: c:\hry\DOOM 3\grimm\game00.pk4/gamex86.dll
copy gamex86.dll to c:\hry\DOOM 3\grimm\gamex86.dll
ERROR: wrong game DLL API version
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
Also if there is any way to avoid upgrading Doom 3 to version 1.3, I'd be glad, because just now I spent quite a time trying to make it working, but it doesn't accept my (legit) CD key. None of the ways to solve it I've found did work. I eventually had to delete all files and replace with backups I fortunately made before, otherwise it wouldn't let me play Doom 3 anymore.
Yeah I admit - I'm also trying to avoid a complete reinstallation as well.

You won't need a re-installation, but you will need to update to 1.3.1. It's a quick install and won't set you back on anything. :)

http://www.dramthethief.com/darkmod/files/DOOM3-1.3.1.exe

It's necessary to use this patch, the DLL for grim is not compatible with older versions of Doom3.

Sorry that I wasn't clear - I installed this patch you provided, then launched Doom 3, it wanted a CD key so I wrote the one on my legit CD and it said "Invalid", although the same key of course worked when I installed D3 years ago. No different combinations or disconnecting from internet worked. I deleted its files then and returned backups and everything was fine again.

If you say it's necessary, I'll install the patch again then and keep trying, help in this regard would be appreciated. I searched for the solution, but nothing from what I've found did help me.

scifista42 said:

Sorry that I wasn't clear - I installed this patch you provided, then launched Doom 3, it wanted a CD key so I wrote the one on my legit CD and it said "Invalid", although the same key of course worked when I installed D3 years ago. No different combinations or disconnecting from internet worked. I deleted its files then and returned backups and everything was fine again.

If you say it's necessary, I'll install the patch again then and keep trying, help in this regard would be appreciated. I searched for the solution, but nothing from what I've found did help me.

I've asked for some support myself for this one. I've never seen this before, either with Hexen:Edge of Chaos or any other mod I've released before.

You should fire off an email to techsupport for Doom3, in the meantime I'll check if I can find any info on this. If I were you then I would try a complete reinstall, this really does seem like a corrupt installation to me.

No it doesn't have anything with your mod, it's a problem with the 1.3.1 patch.

In addition, I found that I'm anyway able to launch your mod without the need of a CD key, and to get into menu and options and all, however not able to start the actual game, because after I press the "Start game" or "Tutorial" button, I'm no longer able to do anything, the screen stays the same and the same animation is playing in the background, but all interaction is lost.

I'd rather wait and try everything possible before writing email to tech support of a 9 years old game.

scifista42 said:

No it doesn't have anything with your mod, it's a problem with the 1.3.1 patch.

In addition, I found that I'm anyway able to launch your mod without the need of a CD key, and to get into menu and options and all, however not able to start the actual game, because after I press the "Start game" or "Tutorial" button, I'm no longer able to do anything, the screen stays the same and the same animation is playing in the background, but all interaction is lost.

I'd rather wait and try everything possible before writing email to tech support of a 9 years old game.

I got the solution from a techie. :)

It happens generally if you install D3 followed by RoE and then the first time you launch it, you launch a mod. There are other ways that seemed to trigger it by moving about the game dlls and such.

I would tell people to avoid installing it for your mod (i.e pointless for fresh installs), there is also a case where it will cause the menu to show up black if mods and RoE get mixed up.

I found the easiest way to fix it was just to tell the person to uninstall both, then install and patch D3. Run it and put your CD key in, maybe start a map and then quit cleanly (starting a map isnt required, but it will show up unrelated issues if gfx is broken or whatever). Then install the mod.

Do you have ROE installed, perhaps?

BloodRayne said:

[...]
Do you have ROE installed, perhaps?

No.
Also I'm not sure, but this solution sounds like if it assumes I bought Doom 3 from Steam, which I didn't. I already read through this old steam forum thread. Found no satisfying advice there. There...

I found a temporary solution. I realize it isn't the best at all, but I know my CD is legal, and I know that using the game console is legal, so I managed to start the first map of your mod using console and it seems to run fine without CD key. Of course, I'll continue searching for a real solution, probably ending up reinstalling all, but I doubt it would help when all the previous attempts failed.

I am very sorry for spoiling a thread about your mod with my issues with a Doom 3 patch. If necessary, I might try to look for help somewhere else. No need to go off-topic anymore. Thanks a lot for your help and for the mod - now I know I'll be able to play it anyway, so that's enough. I hope I'll deal with the rest of problems on my own.

scifista42 said:

No.
Also I'm not sure, but this solution sounds like if it assumes I bought Doom 3 from Steam, which I didn't. I already read through this old steam forum thread. Found no satisfying advice there. There...

I found a temporary solution. I realize it isn't the best at all, but I know my CD is legal, and I know that using the game console is legal, so I managed to start the first map of your mod using console and it seems to run fine without CD key. Of course, I'll continue searching for a real solution, probably ending up reinstalling all, but I doubt it would help when all the previous attempts failed.

I am very sorry for spoiling a thread about your mod with my issues with a Doom 3 patch. If necessary, I might try to look for help somewhere else. No need to go off-topic anymore. Thanks a lot for your help and for the mod - now I know I'll be able to play it anyway, so that's enough. I hope I'll deal with the rest of problems on my own.

It's no problem at all, happy to give support where I can. :)

I installed this on Desura and played the first map. But it was all so dark and the first jumping puzzle was pretty bullshit IMO so I got pretty rapidly put off from it.

kristus said:

I installed this on Desura and played the first map. But it was all so dark and the first jumping puzzle was pretty bullshit IMO so I got pretty rapidly put off from it.

Exactly my thoughts. Its also rather weird to use your main weapons, and since it was the only weapons I tried to use (dunno if there is anymore) I got pretty annoyed. It didnt feel right.

I also found the copy paste hallways rather boring and confusing. You kinda always felt lost.

kristus said:

Thanks for the input!
You can make this game so called 'full bright', e.g. brighter than daylight. Perhaps you missed the settings?

As for the jumps, this is a platform hack & slash. And a platform hack & slash without jumps would just not do. I assume you played the tutorial before trying them? :)

Will the soundtrack be available as a separate download? There were some cool tunes in previous version, and there's more of them in this final one.