Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

The_Trigger said:

Just a little question, which slot should the level we make take? Should they all be map 01?

I just updated the OP saying not to use map07 or map30 slots. Though, mappers can make their map for a port where they can set the map07 special on any map. Also, mappers shouldn't use secret exit lines.

Memfis said:

Well, I guess these 3 animations from D2INO (brown and blue bfall/sfall + better lava texture) would be enough. And by different versions I meant that for example Plutonia's waterfall is brighter than Requiem's one. :)

I just updated the OP saying that if people want to use new animated textures/flats and/or switches they can either include the ANIMATED or SWITCHES lumps in their wad, or replace one of the original animated/switch textures/flats and we'll sort it out at the end of 2013.

TimeOfDeath said:

I just updated the OP saying that if people want to use new animated textures/flats and/or switches they can either include the ANIMATED or SWITCHES lumps in their wad, or replace one of the original animated/switch textures/flats and we'll sort it out at the end of 2013.

Alrighty then, hope it will not be too much trouble for you. :) Going to start working on my map now, here is a plan btw.

I failed to make a contribution last year, but with TNT 2 nearly done maybe I'll free up some time to make a map this time around.

Sign me up.

Play w/Doom 2 Map01 (Zdoom)
http://www.mediafire.com/?gbqelnlgvigkjnr

Level name : "3 Ways From Hell"
Author : Du Mhan Yhu
Build time : Started 11/2012 Finished 7/2013
editors used : Doom Builder 2, SLADE

Music track : Ruins "Ceremony" (from secret of mana)
Playtesting : Some
Bugs : None that I am aware of.
Inspiration : Various wads and Xaser maps.

Just posting to say that I got a map around 1/3rd finished and should have one in a little while, a little hard to say when but shouldn't be too long. The name (and the theme, coincidentally) is Pink & Purple.

It is GZDoom, as it uses true-color textures, has some ACS scripting, some new music, and some new textures which I made sure to rename (prefix is KAT) to conform to your standard. I also have some Decorate code which I prefixed with "Kate" - I know it's four letters but that should be fine since it's more than the three you asked for.

Some shots:

TimeOfDeath said:

not to use map07 or map30 slots

WAAAAAHH!

Seriously, I've got an awesome IoS map in the works. Can I pleeeeze use it for this?

...Except you don't specifically need a MAP30 slot to make an Icon of Sin. The IoS ends the current level when he dies, automatically advancing you to the next one, so your map doesn't necessarily need to be the final map for it to really matter in some way if you're using him as long as he's at the end of the map, for the reason I stated above.

The only thing I could see using the MAP30 special slot for is for a map which relies on monsters being able to telefrag you, which is kind of lame anyway.

Kate said:

...Except you don't specifically need a MAP30 slot to make an Icon of Sin. The IoS ends the current level when he dies, automatically advancing you to the next one, so your map doesn't necessarily need to be the final map for it to really matter in some way if you're using him as long as he's at the end of the map, for the reason I stated above.

The only thing I could see using the MAP30 special slot for is for a map which relies on monsters being able to telefrag you, which is kind of lame anyway.

That's the thing: there needs to be telefragging or I risk the monsters getting stuck together. This doesn't happen that much in ZDoom, but considering my map is for Boom I want to avoid any stuff-ups. I guess I can use the map for some other project but it does mean I need to rethink what I'll make for this, and I really wanted to do an Icon for this. :(

Make monsters spawn on scrolling floors in dummy rooms with teleporter lines, boohoo stucking prevented.

I think I will kindly sign up and contribute something

Obsidian said:

That's the thing: there needs to be telefragging or I risk the monsters getting stuck together. This doesn't happen that much in ZDoom, but considering my map is for Boom I want to avoid any stuff-ups. I guess I can use the map for some other project but it does mean I need to rethink what I'll make for this, and I really wanted to do an Icon for this. :(

The maplist will be sorted by port and then alphabetically by author, so people's maps will land on whatever slot they land on at the end of 2013. If you want monster telefragging, you could use zdoom's mapinfo, or use j4rio's suggestion for boom without telefragging.

Nice shots everyone and thumbs up for signing up. :)

Du Mhan Yhu said:

"GreenHell"

Oh hey -- I remember this map! Good to see you've got it up and finished. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

The maplist will be sorted by port and then alphabetically by author, so people's maps will land on whatever slot they land on at the end of 2013.

As an 'X', I'm not super-thrilled about that. I'd rather see some sort o' chronological-ish progression similar to what 32in24 does for its pre-release builds.

I say this though mostly because Stove Pipe is still MAP01 in my head.

You can submit your map under the nickname AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, you'll probably be first then.

Xaser said:

As an 'X', I'm not super-thrilled about that. I'd rather see some sort o' chronological-ish progression similar to what 32in24 does for its pre-release builds.

I say this though mostly because Stove Pipe is still MAP01 in my head.

My map was second last in dmp2012. :)
We can sort chronologically this year, but maps will still be sorted by format first. Since your map is in the vanilla/limit-removing group, it will still be map01.

I think alphabetic order is better. With chronological order there probably will be more big/complicated maps towards the end since they will take longer to make and will be submitted later. With alphabetic order the distribution will be more even, which is cool IMO.

Maybe. Or even simplier solution, drop that X and you instantly got yourself front seat reservation.
:P

Memfis said:

I think alphabetic order is better. With chronological order there probably will be more big/complicated maps towards the end since they will take longer to make and will be submitted later. With alphabetic order the distribution will be more even, which is cool IMO.

Neither of these are guaranteed to work that way. Folks can still submit shorter maps later (late-joiners, late-starters) if chronological, and alphabetic distribution would be no less random than chronological since there's no correlation between names and map sizes.

To be superfrank, I actually don't care for either scheme -- a hand-picked order is the only way to get a good distribution in terms of pacing, difficulty, gameplay, and/or theme, but that doesn't really suit the nature of the project. Of the two, Chronological is the lesser evil since it doesn't shaft folks based on username choice.

The more I think about it though, I guess I'm less bothered about the 'X' placement but more the fact that I cranked out a map rather quickly for the express purpose of it being MAP01. So welp. :P

*pedantry*

Xaser said:

The more I think about it though, I guess I'm less bothered about the 'X' placement but more the fact that I cranked out a map rather quickly for the express purpose of it being MAP01. So welp. :P

If you looked at dmp2012 you would've known what to expect. :)

I don't look at it like people are getting shafted based on their username. The project is a collection of random maps with no consistent theme/difficulty/pacing, so if someone doesn't like a map then they can skip it and go to the next one, or at least check out the ones by authors they like.

Hey hey hey hey, hey, hey

Sign me up

Kate said:

MAP30 is necessary for monsters to telefrag each other, which is usually necessary for IoS battles.

Hi-poly island.

To get an idea of the scale, that little white dot in the center is a Spider Mastermind.

NUGBZBJUV...I mean, this looks kinda amazing from this gigantic distance! Even a bit cartoonish, most certainly because of colors that are used on the textures.

Not sure if it looks well from close and I don't even think that there would be easy to add more details to it. Anyway, good luck!

So my map is shaping up to be less a map and more its own minigame - sort of Robotron 2084, Doom-style.

I guess that fits with the spirit of this project (pulled a bunch of random WADs and here you go)?

Edit: Oh, and there's going to be a minimap that shows where the enemies are. That's actually necessary.