Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomtodeath

Doom 1 levels in Doom 2

Hi! I dont care if this gets post hell'd. I just need to know where I can download the levels of Doom 1 for Doom 2. Thanks, Bye.

You don't need to download it, just get dm2conv and convert the maps yourself. Or you can use any other similar tool, like for example wadconvgame from xwadtools (the new version hosted on googlecode, not the old one in idgames).

I've actually done the opposite for fun: convert the DOOM II IWAD maps to DOOM. It was fun, but of course MAP07 didn't work right, and there are probabably other bugs like that (but I stopped playing after 1st episode).

You probably have to run it in DOSBox. It sure as hell doesn't run natively on my Unix system anyway. :-)

Also, for some reason the maps don't get converted properly if you try to convert the whole IWAD at once. For the D2->D1 conversion, I had to first extract all the individual maps with deutex, and then convert them one at a time. So basically:

deutex -levels -xtract /path/to/doom.wad
dm2conv levels/e1m1.wad map01.wad @:DTOD2
dm2conv levels/e1m2.wad map02.wad @:DTOD2
etc...

Or you can just use the wadconvgame from xwadtools, which does properly convert the whole IWAD maps in one pass. Unfortunately it only does D1->D2 conversion, and not the opposite (which is really what I want to do 99% of the time). I'd send the maintainer a patch, but he seems to believe that the original DOOM is no longer relevant, so whatever.

Oh, btw dm2conv and wadconvgame produce different results. Not only the textures choices, but also the monsters as well. With dm2conv you end up with a chaingunner at the end of MAP01, and a SSG is at the top of that lift near the start of MAP02. But wadconvgame is much more conservative, and you instead get the good old imp and normal shotgun instead. And actually, on skill 4, there's even an archvile at the end of the MAP01 created with dm2conv!

hex11 said:

You probably have to run it in DOSBox. It sure as hell doesn't run natively on my Unix system anyway. :-)

Also, for some reason the maps don't get converted properly if you try to convert the whole IWAD at once. For the D2->D1 conversion, I had to first extract all the individual maps with deutex, and then convert them one at a time. So basically:

deutex -levels -xtract /path/to/doom.wad
dm2conv levels/e1m1.wad map01.wad @:DTOD2
dm2conv levels/e1m2.wad map02.wad @:DTOD2
etc...

Or you can just use the wadconvgame from xwadtools, which does properly convert the whole IWAD maps in one pass. Unfortunately it only does D1->D2 conversion, and not the opposite (which is really what I want to do 99% of the time). I'd send the maintainer a patch, but he seems to believe that the original DOOM is no longer relevant, so whatever.

Oh, btw dm2conv and wadconvgame produce different results. Not only the textures choices, but also the monsters as well. With dm2conv you end up with a chaingunner at the end of MAP01, and a SSG is at the top of that lift near the start of MAP02. But wadconvgame is much more conservative, and you instead get the good old imp and normal shotgun instead. And actually, on skill 4, there's even an archvile at the end of the MAP01 created with dm2conv!

Thanks for the answer :)

Probably too cheap to buy a copy of Ultimate Doom. ;-)

Doomtodeath said:

Hi! I dont care if this gets post hell'd. I just need to know where I can download the levels of Doom 1 for Doom 2. Thanks, Bye.

Some shovelware CDs contain a lot of D1->D2 conversions. Volumes 3 & 4 of The Complete Doom Accessory Pack, Deathday (aka - The Ultimate Add On Collection for Doom/Doom II), Demon Gate and Doom II Explosion are some that spring to mind. They turn up regularly on eBay and you can probably find most of them on the Internet Archive.

Some of those shovelware conversions are really bad... cyberdemons and other big monsters all over the place. There was even one where I couldn't finish MAP01 because a cyberdemon was blocking the exit room, and there was no big weapon or enough ammo to kill it. Can't even punch him to death because you can't get in that space to run around him.

But there's one in the Maximum Doom shovelware called doom142.wad, that seems to be a more serious conversion. I played through the first few maps without problems, and didn't notice many oddities. Even the texture changes were pretty good. Of course, the secret exit in MAP03 doesn't work right (takes you back to MAP01) and killing the barons on MAP08 doesn't open up the walls, so you're just kinda stuck there. It's pretty funny though that this wad would be present on the very shovelware endorsed by id software, when they included it with their Master Levels.

Ultimate Doom is like $4.99 on Steam, just buy it and copy DOOM.WAD to your game directory.

Or maybe he already has it and just want to like, play the DOOM maps with DOOM II monsters. :-)

I've even gone so far as to play the DOOM maps in Freedoom. Well it was actually the Jaguar TC, so slightly different than the "canonical" DOS version. But it was fun, and different, and cool. These days I'm into using randomizers like WARM to shake things up a bit, so there is more replay value. It's all about having options...

I remember there was a texture PWAD that added Doom 1's textures to Doom 2 (those that were missing, at least), and them you just had to change the E1M1 etc. markers to MAP01 etc. in the Doom 1 PWAD you wanted to use with Doom 2. There's no need to do any other "conversion", as Doom 2 is a superset of Doom 1 and the map format is the same, only some specific textures are missing.

I could try and dig it up, though I'm not sure it's exactly legal.

Maes said:

I remember there was a texture PWAD that added Doom 1's textures to Doom 2 (those that were missing, at least), and them you just had to change the E1M1 etc. markers to MAP01 etc. in the Doom 1 PWAD you wanted to use with Doom 2. There's no need to do any other "conversion", as Doom 2 is a superset of Doom 1 and the map format is the same, only some specific textures are missing.

Thanks!

Maes said:

I remember there was a texture PWAD that added Doom 1's textures to Doom 2 (those that were missing, at least)

That sounds like SargeBaldy's Doom Textures For Doom II, or you can use my update which fixes a couple of errors and includes the Episode 4 sky from Ultimate Doom.

Maes said:

By that criteria, a whole lot of stuff in /idgames isn't "legal". To be 100% legit, you'd have to get rid of all wads that use any resources from other games (modified or not), non-free MP3/OGG music (which is probably most of them), sound clips from movies/TV, and basically anything you wouldn't find in the mainstream Debian GNU/Linux distribution (not including the "non-free" packages, of course). It also means you'd have to shut down places like realm667, because it's an open invitation to mix resource between games. They'd have to put up an entirely new site that only accepts original content, with extremely strict guidelines like Freedoom has.

GreyGhost said:

That sounds like SargeBaldy's Doom Textures For Doom II, or you can use my update which fixes a couple of errors and includes the Episode 4 sky from Ultimate Doom.

Yeah, it's the same concept but the one I had in mind was older still (present on a 1995 shovelware disk). Probably not as up to date, either, so I won't bother looking for it after all. Except as an exercise in cyber-archaeology, of course :-p

@hex11: I agree, but it's still a major grey area, as well as one of those things that seem to split the community and send everybody to damage control mode, and a thousand different interpretations of the "Doom licenses" by self-appointed "legal experts" pop up. It's in the same league as repackaging old WADs with vexing/unusable installers in a more modern form.

Maes said:

Yeah, it's the same concept but the one I had in mind was older still (present on a 1995 shovelware disk).

That's probably Paolo's DOOM1-2.WAD.

GreyGhost said:

Has anyone done a pack that has all IWAD textures including Final Doom?

purist said:

Has anyone done a pack that has all IWAD textures including Final Doom Plutonia?

Cheeky correct because Plutonia has some beautiful textures, and TNT Evilution is just downright ugly; and has the side-effect of modifying a large portion of the animated textures, which could theoretically limit their use.

purist said:

Has anyone done a pack that has all IWAD textures including Final Doom?

I'm not 100% certain, but not all texture names are unique between TNT/Plutonia/Doom2: some may have the same name but look different, or viceversa.

Someone could probably write a util to combine all the Dooms into a single IWAD using MTrop's Texreplace to take care of the duplicate animated texture names in Final Doom and including MAPINFOs/DEDs to string all the maps together. Would be a neat thing to see, even if the end result is nothing more than the sum of its parts.

I think the Freedoom IWAD (the main one, not the Ultimate Freedoom version) is kinda like that. I can't vouch for its completeness or accuracy (how close the textures "feel" to the originals) but it was enough for me to play various TNT maps, like for example:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17222

As for the "real" DOOM, this seems to be what you're after:
http://realm667.com/index.php/repository/texture-stock-mainmenu-152/1037-final-doom-textures?catid=55%3Adoom-style

Thanks Hex. Looks like the pack is Final Doom textures only (no Doom/II) but could still be useful. What I was actually looking for is a resource that puts them all in one pack, so you could an extended stock texture pack. Good enough though.

purist said:

What I was actually looking for is a resource that puts them all in one pack, so you could an extended stock texture pack.

But wouldn't such an approach to Dooming clash with your username? :-)

If you really want to do this, download 3DGE and make sure Doom.wad and Doom2.wad are in the same directory. Viola, problem solved. You can play both through progressively and use the textures/weapons/etc between the two. At the same time.

Maes said:

But wouldn't such an approach to Dooming clash with your username? :-)

Haha, I've been at odds with my username for years. I just thought it would provide a bit for variety to the usual stock doom or doom 2 textures while still being classic or cannon.