Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is the food thread. Food is awesome. Discuss.

I am currently eating a very interesting but delicious creation that I conjured up because I'm low on ingredients, but still have some (in my opinion) good ingredients.

I am eating a bean hamburger. First, I set the saute pan on medium (just a notch higher, but definitely not medium high) and put in maybe a half a tablespoon of butter, and about one and one half tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, and let it heat up in the pan while I ground up rosemary and dried red chiles in a coffee grinder to a very fine powder, (there are some seeds in it too for some extra spice, but not an epic amount). I threw in the pan a handful of northern white beans, incorporated the butter/olive oil blend with the beans, and then added a little bit of sweet white corn, and some spinach. I then added most of the seasonings, which also consisted of ground dry mustard, sage, white pepper, garlic salt(which has a little parsley in it), garlic, and the ground blend of rosemary and chile, mixed it up real nice, and threw the hamburger on the higher in elevation side of the pan so the grease from the burger (but it's a very lean burger with not very much grease to begin with) slides under to the bean blend, where it gets incorporated. Then I cleaned up the kitchen real fast, flipped the burger, put half the beans on top, and went for a smoke while I forgot to take the (sesame seed) buns out of the freezer, but then came back real fast to throw a bun into the microwave for 22 seconds as the burger finished cooking, where for those last seconds I turned the stove on high to get a little color into the burger and one side of the beans, then put the beans on one side of the plate and the burger on the other, and garnished both with the remainder of the rosemary/chile blend. Then I ate it (actually just finished it), and it was very delicious. I'm quite sure this combination would appeal to many palates, as strange as it sounds, even though most people probably wouldn't try it out to begin with. Two words sum it up: fucking delicious. The only thing that would make it better would be oyster mushrooms. Onions should stay away from this one, it would be too heavy with onions. Oh, and the amount of bean that goes on to the burger is eaqual sized to the cooked burger patty, or a little extra to spill over the edges. Cheese works well with this, but probably not with the mushroom addition.

Cook time: 12 minutes
Clean up: 3 minutes

I'll see what I can do to improve the cook and clean time, maybe refine the recipe a bit, but I thought it was really fucking good.

To elaborate on the taste, just a little:
definitely had a spice to it, a slow but gentle onset that lasted for about 15 minutes and left the mouth feeling very relaxed. The saltiness was very very light, just a hint to bring out the herbs and the hearty flavor of the meat combined with sage, which also works well with beans. But a very hearty, filling, satisfying dish that does not leave you craving for more, but definitely looking forward to eating a meal like it again.

My cooking specialty seems to be "garbage ramen" - in other words, cook up some instant ramen noodles (with or without the flavoring packet), throw in a bunch of stuff from the leftovers in the fridge, spice to taste, and enjoy. Most recently was right after a night of Mexican cuisine, we had some leftover onions, peppers, and diced tomatoes. Boiled up some water in the kettle, poured it on the noodles, then added the other stuff after the noodles softened up for a minute or so, along with some cut-up chicken tender stuff.

That sounds pretty good. I like mexican food (well, I like all food, and at work the "to-go girls" gave me the name "garbage disposal" because they love bringing me food at the end of the night and watching me put it down real fast. It's pleasant).

When I make ramen, I do what you do. My brother is more of a ramen eater than I am and he prefers it plain, with just the seasoning packet (that's his usual anyways). Chicken and ramen definitely go hand in hand, and a buddy of mine calls what he makes "chamen", for chicken and ramen, but in one effective word.

I rarely do any food, but when I do... (sorry for my English. :P)

Few medium beefburgers. Stove is put to to hottest state. Pan is coated with with butter (preferably), and once you start to cook them, rapidly or least often switching sides of beefburgers. Try not to make them look charred.

If done correctly, outside should be only bit crunchy, with sweet greasy taste, and from inside, juicy, maybe bit red, but should taste awesome.

Now, I've done this twice, first done accidentally, second was deliberate, but wasn't exactly that good than the first one.

I usually cook ground meat with a special blend of spices (including BBQ seasoning, that's the only secret I'm going to give away). Goes especially well with tacos and spaghetti.

Mom has a recipe that is very tasty.

* Grilled chicken (you take away the skin and bones)
* Take a couple of oranges and squeeze the juice on it in the pan
* One Creme Fraiche
* Spices: Curry, All around spice, herbal salt
* Rice (preferably basmati rice)
* Garlic bread on the side
* Champis (A Swedish soda from the early 1900's)

When cooking at home, I tend to make quite simple, healthy food - Indian food mostly (various kinds of veggie curries) or something with the bamboo steamer - usually fish, vegetables, and quinoa. But at the weekends I like to eat out, and then I'll go for the full Parisian dining experience - lots of foie gras, dead cow, gratin, cheese, and chocolatey things. Going out for fish and chips tonight though - very exciting (really it is).

I once tried a morsel of salmon-flavoured cat food (the wet pâté "gourmet" type, not the dry kibble kind). The texture was kinda lika canned tuna, only pinker, and with a better (!) smell. It tasted susprisingly good, too O_o

My cooking skills are basically boiling pasta, chili, rice or vegetables and frying fish or eggs. The rest of my diet consists of things that don't need cooking: fruit, yogurt and canned fish. I'm not a pescetarian, I just can't afford anything else.

Maes said:

I once tried a morsel of salmon-flavoured cat food (the wet pâté "gourmet" type, not the dry kibble kind). The texture was kinda lika canned tuna, only pinker, and with a better (!) smell. It tasted susprisingly good, too O_o

There are dog treats that look like oreos and other cookies. I compared the ingredients, taste and texture to corresponding human-designated counterparts, and there was negligible (none) difference.

I'm going to make some doughnuts (more properly, beignets) today. I was thinking about a brown sugar glaze with either pecans or black walnuts, and maybe a couple will have dark chocolate. Definitely bite sized, so they are easier to eat, faster to eat, and eat more. Loadin' up on some doughnut energy!

My favorite sandwich is whatever is in the kitchen. One example of a really good one I had had peppercorn coated turkey breast, Havarti cheese, avocado, lettuce from the backyard, mayo, mustard, and lots of hot sauce.

sauseges and cheese sandwiches is the most meaty thing I eat , I mean wings don't have alot of meat so you'll finish one in 3 bites (and some mini digging) and I'm having picnics really rarely (only on birthdays).
Well picnic...Wings(I don't like it) pig meat(yhey) chicken hearts(no!).
That's the whole meat menu in my childhood (I'm still a child).

What about desserts?
It's the common thing in my fridge.(half of my fridge countains sauce and flavour , yea...Pointless)

Cooking is actually one of my main duties at my home-care-ish job. I've gotten just good enough at it to realize how much further there is to go, and so I won't embarrass myself sharing any recipes here. I will say that I've gotten pretty good at cranking out balanced meals on the fly.

Good thread, I'm an inspiring chef who's been taken under the wing of a certain Grommon where he's teaching me what he knows. I also like reading and watching a lot of other recipes and chef videos and take mental note on the general similarities so I can go for the best combination.

I love Ramsay's videos, they're quite informative:

(Protip: give it to her in bed. on a serious note tried it, fucking delicious. Though I did my eggs a bit differently and prefer to use cheese rather than butter/cream.)

I've only ever done pan steaks with generic vegatable oil, I should give the grana oil like he uses a try.

I made some tomato/chili/bean/vegetable sauce yesterday. Then I also have some peanut butter which I'll mix with it when I eat it. I could have mixed it while cooking, but then it becomes kinda explosive. Easier to just mix later.

Food is a necessity so I don't starve. I hate meals and wish I didn't need to eat.

I had an eye of round beef roast the other day that I ate three nights in a row. (It was a 1 pound roast)

I kind of based my recipe on some I found but I adapted it to my tastes:

-1 lb Roast
-Olive oil
-About 3/4 a cup of rosemary (per side)
-2 cups of Minced dried onion (1 per side)
-A four-finger pinch of crushed chili (per side)

Gratuitous amounts of:
-Sea Salt
-Black Pepper
-Garlic Powder

Layer the roast in olive oil, on both sides. The oil helps seal in the juices and keep the seasonings on the roast.
Apply Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Combine rosemary, dried onion, and crushed chili into pestle and mortar and ground into powder. Apply on both sides evenly for best effect.

Set in your oven uncovered at 450F for 20 minutes, and then let it sit at 170F for about 75 minutes. Internal temperature should reach about 150F.

Tonight I'm thinking about making some chicken cacciatore.

Speaking of food and cooking....an old compact electric oven + stove combo I have, other than having one out of three hotplates out of order, now the oven's thermostat started acting funny, turning on only if set at the lowest temperature, and then only faintly. A bummer, since it went FUBAR during cooking, leaving me with a half-cooked tray of pork, potatoes and green chilli sauce, and I like to bake pizzas from time to time.

I'll tell you something sunshine; I eat a lot. It's quite surprising how I am somehow still slim (I must have quite the high metabolism). I'm not a very fussy eater if I'm honest, I think the only things I don't like are; marmite (I love Bovril on my toast though), seafood such as prawns, scampi and the like (mainly because I have an allergy to that, yet I can eat some types of fish fine) and that's pretty much what I don't like. As for cooking; I don't cook much if I'm honest as my skills are very basic.

printz said:

Food is a necessity so I don't starve. I hate meals and wish I didn't need to eat.

I understand where you're coming from, which is why I've made the conscious decision to experiment with flavours and improve my cooking skills. Otherwise I'll be bored with food all my life.

I more or less eat the same food every day. I've made this tomato/chili/bean/vegetable sauce so many times now that it is like perfect. It could be eaten with anything or just by itself. It's just so good that why would I eat anything else. It's also easy to do, is cheap and lasts for a long time.

I think sometimes I would make some pizza, but then I just end up making this sauce... I'd probably put about the same stuff on a pizza anyway.

Sometimes I make some fried chicken and spice it with curry, chili, cinnamon and cardamom.

Over the weekend, me and my friends barbequed some shish kebab, as well as some chicken wings. The shish kebabs included peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, bacon wrapped scallops, imitation crab and lobster meat, and shrimp. My friend had put a homemade baste on them, and we threw them on the BBQ for a while. They were absolutely amazing. I must have eaten five of them, and washed them down with Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

Next time, I'm thinking about putting some calamari (the sliced rings) on the shish kebabs, as an experiment.

Kontra Kommando said:

Next time, I'm thinking about putting some calamari (the sliced rings) on the shish kebabs, as an experiment.

My advice is put them on right at the end. They don't need much cooking and Calamari get pretty tough and rubbery if over-cooked.

I can't believe I'm talking about cooking on Doomworld. This place has changed.