Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

All SLIGE'd Up: The Sequel! Join us!

I just played "All SLIGE'd Up", a community project that was originated and managed by Impboy.

If you don't know: this WAD contains 6 maps that were originally generated with SLIGE, but were detailed and rebuilt by mappers - to be precise, by Walter Confalonieri, Impboy, Dragonfly and Jimmy Paddock.

However, I found both the number of contributors and number of maps a bit few, so it deserves a sequel!

Impboy approved my plans, so here are the rules by himself.

I'm down for another round. The rules are the same as the first:

- Download the daily SLIGE megawad from: soulsphere.org/hacks/slige
- Pick any two maps that you like to do.
- Remake the map from SCRATCH. (this isn't a tune up)
- Use only stock textures.
- Boom-related map format.
- All mappers that participate are only allowed to have two slots max so everyone is equal.

I think we should do ExMy (Ultimate) Doom style for the theme this time. (it means that instead of MAP01-32, we got 4 episodes, each with 9 map slots. there's no certain themes yet. - K)If we get enough mappers, we could do a whole megawad. Though if that happens, there is an additional rule to follow:

- After they choose two maps, they have to pick an episode for each (they can't be in the same episode).

Since the definition of "remaking the map from SCRATCH" wasn't obvious, Impboy wrote this complement:

- Mappers may NOT touch the original map gemometry at all, but they can copy the things. The geometry is only used as visual aid of what you will be recreating.

- You MAY resize rooms if you find some too big or too small to work with. You may also add new rooms. Just make sure the original generated layout is visible in some way.

Maps don't have to follow regular Doom episode themes & styles (at least I hope), so I wouldn't make a list for episode claims yet.

Post your desire of joining here. You may join within the deadline, but you also have to finish it.

...okay, actually, we can wait for you if you are gonna be close to the finish. But if there's anyone who haven't updated his maps for months without any signs of life, I'll ask Impboy to drop that slot.

DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 2014

Current volunteers:
- Impboy
- Katamori

- Obsidian
- BloodyAcid
- Dagger147
- GreyGhost
- Job
- Bucket
- Dragonsbrethren
- Jayextee
- Memfis (probably)
- Stygian
- dachauncinator
- chesse20 (probably)
- AlektorophobiA
- walter confalonieri
- Phendrena

For all the volunteers: please subscribe to this thread to know immediately when something new is happening here!

I'm down for another round. The rules are the same as the first:

- Download the daily SLIGE megawad from: soulsphere.org/hacks/slige
- Pick any two maps that you like to do.
- Remake the map from SCRATCH. (this isn't a tune up)
- Use only stock textures.
- Boom-related map format.
- All mappers that participate are only allowed to have two slots max so everyone is equal.

I think we should do ExMy (Ultimate) Doom style for the theme this time. If we get enough mappers, we could do a whole megawad. Though if that happens, there is an additional rule to follow:

- After they choose two maps, they have to pick an episode for each (they can't be in the same episode).

Obsidian said:

If it's for Ultimate Doom I'll have to drop out, seeing as I don't own it. :/

Technically, you can still map for Ultimate Doom even though you don't have it by using this as a resource wad.

Actually, the resource wad can be used for anyone who don't own the first game as a catalyst. Just be sure to use only the textures and things found in UDoom to make it work. Once you post it here, all I have to do is change the map type and it's good.

Obsidian said:

It's $5 on Steam, you know :)

Sign me up.

Obsidian said:

You could try using Ultimate FreeDoom instead. There's also the remote possibility that if you left your Steam ID where people could find it, someone might be crazy enough to gift you a copy.

Impboy, would you like to start a new thread to organize this stuff? Or is this thread good for the project?

Also, just an idea: we need some kind of deadline I think. You may start creating your map right now if you want, there's no "waiting for others to join" period. But I think for example six months must be enough for it.

Katamori said:

Impboy, would you like to start a new thread to organize this stuff? Or is this thread good for the project?

Also, just an idea: we need some kind of deadline I think. You may start creating your map right now if you want, there's no "waiting for others to join" period. But I think for example six months must be enough for it.

Here is fine Kat. Yes, a deadline is needed and six months is plenty.

Impboy4 said:

Here is fine Kat. Yes, a deadline is needed and six months is plenty.

Great, then I start organizing and things like that, and if you dislike or disagree with something, just shout at me! :D

To the others: I'm gonna make an update soon. Until that, keep joining! ;D

I'd be interested in participating if this included OBLIGE, as mentioned in my earlier post. I don't see the point in using SLIGE.

Job said:

I'd be interested in participating if this included OBLIGE, as mentioned in my earlier post. I don't see the point in using SLIGE.

You should know that without SLIGE, you wouldn't have OBLIGE to begin with. If you want to host a OBLIGE map project then go ahead, but I'm sticking with SLIGE because it deserves more attention and in my opinion, I like it better than OBLIGE anyways.

Impboy4 said:

You should know that without SLIGE, you wouldn't have OBLIGE to begin with. If you want to host a OBLIGE map project then go ahead, but I'm sticking with SLIGE because it deserves more attention and in my opinion, I like it better than OBLIGE anyways.

My intention wasn't to be offensive or hijack this thread. I was around when SLIGE first came out and I loved it - you're right, it deserves respect for being the forerunner. My preferences have changed, that's all. Maybe the better way to phrase my initial question is if this map set has to be solely SLIGE? It seems unnecessary to do two separate generated-map level sets when one will do just as well.

I can't get Boom to run on my system. I'm using Windows 7. I'm able to run GZDoom and ZDoom. I haven't been able to get any others to work.

Job said:

My intention wasn't to be offensive or hijack this thread. I was around when SLIGE first came out and I loved it - you're right, it deserves respect for being the forerunner. My preferences have changed, that's all. Maybe the better way to phrase my initial question is if this map set has to be solely SLIGE? It seems unnecessary to do two separate generated-map level sets when one will do just as well.

Sorry if I sounded rude. Don't get me wrong, I love OBLIGE too but my personal reason why I never want to add it to this project is that the map layouts OBLIGE makes seem to always be confined within an invisible square or rectangle. SLIGE on the other hand makes layouts that is not bound by an invisible barrier and can go anywhere. Thats what I like about SLIGE more, it's ability to make more freehand layouts than OBLIGE.

Impboy4 said:

Sorry if I sounded rude. Don't get me wrong, I love OBLIGE too but my personal reason why I never want to add it to this project is that the map layouts OBLIGE makes seem to always be confined within an invisible square or rectangle. SLIGE on the other hand makes layouts that is not bound by an invisible barrier and can go anywhere. Thats what I like about SLIGE more, it's ability to make more freehand layouts than OBLIGE.

Thanks for the clarification. I can appreciate what you're saying. That said, can Katamori verify if it is possible for me to offer a re-built OBLIGE map?

Job said:

Thanks for the clarification. I can appreciate what you're saying. That said, can Katamori verify if it is possible for me to offer a re-built OBLIGE map?

I'm also leading this project since I was the originator of this idea. I got a better idea; merge a SLIGE generated map with an OBLIGE one. The catch is that the OBLIGE map must be generated from OBHack and has to be cut in areas so it doesn't look like the level layout has a big square/rectangle in it. Will that work for you and Dagger?

Yeah, that should be fine. Are there any particular themes that have to be taken on? Also, what deadline are we looking at?

Theme:

ExMy (Ultimate) Doom style...

Deadline: Six months from now if anyone's confortable with that. Will extend if and when neccessary.

I will try to do something for this project.
My maps will be E1 and E4 style.

Dagger147 said:

I can't get Boom to run on my system. I'm using Windows 7. I'm able to run GZDoom and ZDoom. I haven't been able to get any others to work.

If you mean Boom v2.02 for DOS, you'll probably need to run it under DOSBox, which makes it a bit impractical for testing from Doom Builder. Use PrBoom-plus instead.

Okay guys, I updated the main post about rules and deadline and other stuff! Glad to see that we could already get 6 individual volunteers. =)

Let's mapping!

Well, Impboy said:

If we get enough mappers, we could do a whole megawad. Though if that happens, there is an additional rule to follow:

Which means that theme doesn't matter yet. At least as I could get it.