Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
4shockblast

Doom 2 Done Turbo Quicker (TAS) (finished)

Decided I'd make a new thread for this, since I did the same thing with Doom Done Turbo Quicker.
This time it's mostly built, and with the correct -turbo control on strafing. So far, the first episode done in 2:26. Don't upload to DSDA yet. The first Doom 2 Done Turbo is by Beginner and is available here.
By the way, anyone have any suggestions from improving map 10 from 16 to 15 (currently a 16.23). I'll try to work on it later on this week, but I don't see much space for improvement at this moment.

10tux226.zip

Great Demo! First time I see really optimized Turbo Doom runs, and it turned out to be quite entertaining to watch :)
As for Map10, your demo looks difficult to improve, maybe you could try to round the corners differently, try to go for even more monsters wallruns and maybe a wallrun at the end like in this demo lv10-026 could save a tic.
Remember the .23 are 8 tics, Good Luck!

@kimo:
Thanks for the comment, and thanks for reminding me about the final fence wallrun.

Here it is: Episode 1 in 2:25 (map 10 improved to 0:15). You may upload this to the DSDA.

10tux225.zip

Wow, long time since I posted any updates. The run is nearly done, but map 29 is causing some difficulties. Does anyone have any ideas for a route that skips the giant bridge? Nothing works for me, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing some really obvious route.

Finally finished this. Final time is 10:04, not under 10, but I'm still pretty happy with it (besides, it seems that I have the tendency to get just over a round time for my longer TASes). Hope you enjoy watching!

Here's a list of all the levels and their times:

Map 01: Entryway -            0:03
Map 02: Underhalls -          0:11
Map 03: The Gantlet -         0:13
Map 04: The Focus -           0:13
Map 05: The Waste Tunnels -   0:16
Map 06: The Crusher -         0:35
Map 07: Dead Simple -         0:03
Map 08: Tricks and Traps -    0:09
Map 09: The Pit -             0:27
Map 10: Refueling Base -      0:15
Map 11: 'O' of Destruction -  0:22
Map 12: The Factory -         0:25
Map 13: Downtown -            0:41
Map 14: The Inmost Dens -     0:04
Map 15: Industrial Zone -     0:18
Map 31: Wolfenstein -         0:22
Map 16: Suburbs -             0:07
Map 17: Tenements -           1:01
Map 18: The Courtyard -       0:14
Map 19: The Citadel -         0:18
Map 20: Gotcha! -             0:25
Map 21: Nirvana -             0:07
Map 22: The Catacombs -       0:09
Map 23: Barrels o' Fun -      0:20
Map 24: The Chasm -           0:16
Map 25: Bloodfalls -          0:29
Map 26: The Abandoned Mines - 0:17
Map 27: Monster Condo -       0:08
Map 28: The Spirit World -    0:21
Map 29: The Living End -      0:51
Map 30: Icon of Sin -         0:24

d2dtqr.zip

Nice :) Always fun to watch new ways and ideas in Doom 2 run. Btw, did you try the idea kimo said about map05? Try to jump to the blue key while the platform is descending through the window.

Looper said:

Btw, did you try the idea kimo said about map05? Try to jump to the blue key while the platform is descending through the window.

Hm, I'm pretty sure I considered this at the time. I tried this again, and it doesn't seem to work, since I can't run around the other side of the wall in time, and if I jump from the window ledge onto the lowering platform, I fall short of the window. I tried it again now, and I'm able to get much closer to the window, though, so it seems much more likely to me now than it did back then.

Kotzugi said:

Any idea why my version of PrBoom Plus (2.5.1.2) would desync? A hint would be great.

Not sure, but I just played back the entire run in DOSBox with Doom 2, and I got no desyncs, so any version of PrBoom+ should work. There's always the YouTube upload if you can't get it to work in PrBoom+, though PrBoom+ watching is higher quality.

4shockblast said:

Not sure, but I just played back the entire run in DOSBox with Doom 2, and I got no desyncs, so any version of PrBoom+ should work. There's always the YouTube upload if you can't get it to work in PrBoom+, though PrBoom+ watching is higher quality.

Cheers dude. Gonna enjoy watching it. Also, your channel needs a lot more views.

Kotzugi said:

Any idea why my version of PrBoom Plus (2.5.1.2) would desync? A hint would be great.

Could be because you have a different version of DOOM2.WAD (1.6). Or maybe you have that version of PrBoom+ that had some serious desync bug (it was fixed after I noticed the desync in Rizera's Icarus MAP23 demo). I recommend updating to the latest version (it isn't painful at all, just don't replace the config files).

Thanks Memfis, I upgraded to the newest PrBoom-Plus available for Mac (2.5.1.3) but it still desyncs, although interestingly, in a different way. I found about that tool which checks your iwad version but I'm having trouble compiling from source code (there's only a Windows installer). I might have an older version though because I got it from a friend years ago, although I did buy Doom on Steam to set things right (an ID Software package was on sale, OK?). I suppose there's a way to point the iwad parameter to wherever that Doom is situated.

Seen the YouTube in the meantime. I think it's time to pack up and go for the rest of us. You've won the Internet, 4shockblast. :P