Find results in...
Maes

Gentlemen, are we getting old?

50 signs that you're getting old.

Hmm....

1. Feeling stiff: No
  2. Groaning when you bend down: sometimes
  3. Saying “it wasn’t like that when I was young”: Quite often
  4. Saying “in my day”: Quite often, but shit changes much faster by now.
  5. Losing hair: been like that since my early 20s.
  6. You don’t know any songs in the top ten: Sure I do...of the 1990s.
  7. Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc: And I who thought that it must be my mediterranean masculinity at work.
  8. Hating noisy pubs: Yup :-/
  9. Talking a lot about joints / ailments: sometimes
  10. Forgetting people’s names: This actually happens to me a lot if I don't make a conscious effort to remember, but it's always been like that. Maybe it's because I'm a selfish bastard.
  11. Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style: I dress pretty much like Indiana Jones, minus the hat, yes.
  12. Thinking policemen / teachers / doctors look really young: Policemen are usually fit for their age, if they don't end up behind a desk. But teachers/doctors? Seen my share of slobs/fat fuckers among them.
  13. Falling asleep in front of the TV: if I'm tired or the programming is shite.
  14. Needing an afternoon nap: Yeah
  15. Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about : what young people?
  16. Struggling to use technology: not my problem, luckily. I can use anything from a R/C helicopter to Reel-to-Reel recorder. Unless not having a FB/Twatter account qualifies as "not using technology", nowadays.
  17. Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and televisions: can't do that even if I wanted, but does "losing touch" mean not being aware of internet memes or fads?
  18. When you start complaining about more things: maybe there are more things to complain about ;-)
  19. Wearing your glasses around your neck: did that as a kid, looked nerdy, I stopped.
  20. Not remembering the name of any modern bands: I bet the Beatles and Supertramp are still together.
  21. You avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns: not afraid, but apply common sense (usually).
  22. Complaining about the rubbish on television these days: I complain about the rubbish on television these days.
  23. Misplacing your glasses / bag / keys etc: that's why I use bulky keychains.
  24. You move from Radio one to Radio Two: I switch between favourite oldies stations.
  25. You start driving very slowly: no.
  26. Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town: make that a video game/movie/tinkering/DIY and I'm game.
  27. Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show: I prefer visiting real antique stores.
  28. You talk to colleagues who are so young they don’t know what an Opal Fruit is: my colleages are all around my age.
  29. Taking slippers to friends’ houses: I always do bring my slippers with me when travelling.
  30. Listening to the Archers: no idea
  31. Falling asleep after one glass of wine: make that three glasses of Bulgarian Black Ram whiskey, and we might have something here.
  32. Never going out without your coat: of course, where am I going to keep my wallet and other shit?
  33. Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful: socks do wear out.
  34. When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more: ...can you even do that without dehydrating and shitting yourself to death?
  35. Gasping for a cup of tea: espresso coffee or nothing, hombre.
  36. Taking a flask of tea or coffee on a day out: I actually tried that in my early 20s, when going to uni. More of an encumbrance, really.
  37. Joining the WI: huh?
  38. Taking a keen interest in the garden: sure, I like dumping vegetable leftovers and other crap in my "garden".
  39. Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products: meh...though I admit I spend a "lot" on razors/blades/aftershaves. Always cheap nasty stuff though.
  40. Spending money on the home / furniture rather than a night on the town: staying in is easier and economical.
  41. Taking a keen interest in dressing for the weather: well, I don't want to be caught wearing sandals or sneakers on a rainy day.
  42. Putting everyday items in the wrong place: there's no such thing as a "wrong place" in my house.
  43. Obsessive gardening or bird feeding: I just throw out whatever shit the neighborhood cats will eat, but not in my "backayard".
  44. Really enjoying puzzles and crosswords: actually crosswords and rebuses piss me off. I prefer Sudokus.
  45. Always driving in the slow lane, or below 70 in the middle lane: I prefer driving at optimal cruising speed in the right lane. Fuel costs!
  46. Consider going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday: I prefer 'no children" pretty much anything.
  47. Your ears are getting bigger: is this even medically correct?
  48. Joining the National Trust: huh?
  49. Drinking sherry: I can't stand sweet liquors in general.
  50. Feeling you have the right to tell people exactly what you are thinking even if it isn’t polite: I do so with close down-to-ground friends, but not when I might expect a stomping in response :-p
Now the "scoring":

Results
1 - 20 - You're young at heart but secretly love crosswords and use anti-ageing products just in case.
20 - 35 - You've started taking your tea in a flask out with you and can't stand Radio 1. Stay away from the sherry to keep feeling young.
35 - 50 - Now you have most of the ageing signs it's time to accept you probably aren't just growing old - you are old. Enjoy being warmer than everyone around you and tell them so.

Conservatively I'd say I'm in the 20-35 zone. I'm in my early 30s. OK, let's see how you other DW old farts & fuckers fare.

11 for me, or thereabouts (and in my 40s). Some of them were things I did just as much when I was younger. For example, I'm probably better now at remembering names (but still dreadful).

Without even looking at the link, I knew this had to be from a British source, and the stuffy old Telegraph didn't come as a surprise. Who else would even mention the Archers?

My "yes" for number 41 is more a product of moving from the UK to Minnesota than anything else. The result of not dressing for the weather here is death. The UK is one place where you can pretty much ignore the weather and feel no more than discomfort for the most part.

Grazza said:

Without even looking at the source link, I knew this had to be from a British source, and the stuffy old Telegraph didn't come as a surprise. Who else would even mention the Archers?

I had actually seen that on a Greek on-line newspaper a couple of months ago, and saw variations of it with (usually) less or rearranged questions exist, as well as more "localized" versions.

If anything, I feel that the "test" proves more about how solitary or conservative one might be, rather than how old.

We need a "51. You play a 20 years old video game" point, but I guess this might fall in 3. and 4. too.

I keep telling myself 30 is the new 20. And in a lot of ways it is. Since most people don't start a family anymore until they are in their early thirties.

I don't need a quiz to tell me I'm getting old, but with a score around 16-20 (have no idea who the Archers are and can't stand the taste of sherry) it looks like I haven't yet joined the ranks of the grumpy old men.

43. Obsessive bird feeding

What choice have I when they park themselves on the doorstep and demand to be fed.

GreyGhost said:

What choice have I when they park themselves on the doorstep and demand to be fed.

Eat them?

On a side note, my joints feel very stiff today. Maybe I slept weird.

uh, the inclination to answer 50 retarded questions means not only are you old, but also tragically have nothing better to do.

edit: o the telegraph. Well, the median age of their readership is bound to be hip and young and groovy and not fecally incontinent. My mistake entirely.

I scored 15. I should note that some of these are either things I've done all my life, or are legitimate concerns that have nothing to do with getting old (e.g. TV IS 90% shit, has always been 90% shit, and I don't care what anyone says to the contrary). Others, admittedly, are just features of being 30 and not a teenager.

Maes said:

Unless not having a FB/Twatter account qualifies as "not using technology", nowadays.

It probably does, you useless old cunt. ;)

I might be getting old, but people still ask if I'm in HS.

geo said:

I might be getting old, but people still ask if I'm in HS.

Heh... I've got it worse. I actually work in a high school and still get asked if I'm a student (and I'm turning 30 this month). Part of me is flattered, but damn it's hard to act as an authority figure when you're constantly being mistaken for a student. Honestly, it's like half the reason I have a beard.

geekmarine said:

Heh... I've got it worse. I actually work in a high school and still get asked if I'm a student (and I'm turning 30 this month). Part of me is flattered, but damn it's hard to act as an authority figure when you're constantly being mistaken for a student. Honestly, it's like half the reason I have a beard.

Yeah its tough to be an authority figure when you look the same as people. Maybe you need to have a badge for something. Just tell people you're an undercover narc like 21 Jump Street.

I know at parties people ask if I want a beer or something and kids will speak up saying he can't drink, he's not old enough....

GreyGhost said:

I don't need a quiz to tell me I'm getting old, but with a score around 16-20 (have no idea who the Archers are and can't stand the taste of sherry) it looks like I haven't yet joined the ranks of the grumpy old men.

What about those of grizzled old farts? :-(

darknation said:

uh, the inclination to answer 50 retarded questions means not only are you old, but also tragically have nothing better to do.

I ONLY DID IT AFTER I CHASED THOSE DAMN KIDS OFF MY LAWN

geo said:

Yeah its tough to be an authority figure when you look the same as people. Maybe you need to have a badge for something. Just tell people you're an undercover narc like 21 Jump Street.

I know at parties people ask if I want a beer or something and kids will speak up saying he can't drink, he's not old enough....

I have a badge, actually. Strangely, it doesn't seem to matter much, as staff badges look a lot like student badges where I work.

Really though, to be honest, I have no real problem dealing with students - my problem is when other staff members I don't know mistake me for a student. There's just something weird about, say, helping a kid in a wheelchair and having a coworker coming at you and bitching about how you're not qualified to help that kid, even though that's the whole reason you're there (yeah, that exact scenario has happened to me on several occasions). Sure, I get it, the person may not know me, I may look like a student, but for crying out loud, I have an ID card that I attach to my shirt.

Sorry for going on so long, and I suppose it's not really a big deal, but it just annoys me when people interrupt me from doing my job because they think I'm a student. I mean, I get it, I understand you wouldn't want a high school student doing my job, you want someone with qualifications and experience, but argh, if I was a high school student, I wouldn't be trying to do this in the first place.

SavageCorona said:

Do I score 0 for being 16 or is that considered old in places like Northern England?

Funnily enough, I'm 16 and scored 6.
And yes, it is ;)

geekmarine said:

I have a badge, actually. Strangely, it doesn't seem to matter much, as staff badges look a lot like student badges where I work.

Really though, to be honest, I have no real problem dealing with students - my problem is when other staff members I don't know mistake me for a student. There's just something weird about, say, helping a kid in a wheelchair and having a coworker coming at you and bitching about how you're not qualified to help that kid, even though that's the whole reason you're there (yeah, that exact scenario has happened to me on several occasions). Sure, I get it, the person may not know me, I may look like a student, but for crying out loud, I have an ID card that I attach to my shirt.

Sorry for going on so long, and I suppose it's not really a big deal, but it just annoys me when people interrupt me from doing my job because they think I'm a student. I mean, I get it, I understand you wouldn't want a high school student doing my job, you want someone with qualifications and experience, but argh, if I was a high school student, I wouldn't be trying to do this in the first place.

It all just adds to the conversation. Sometimes people overlook the obvious. There could also even be staff meetings people see you at, but I guess overall since you're larger than your badge they focus on you more than the badge. My HS used to have staff wear not uniforms, but school designated clothing. Like they had to wear logos or colors that identified them as staff. But it was only every Friday, because other schools would come for games and they wanted the visitors to know staff from students. We had a few hairy students that looked like they were 40.

# When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more: ...can you even do that without dehydrating and shitting yourself to death?

I've done that two years ago. Not on purpose. More of a FORCED and PAINFUL thing. And yeah, I had to drink about 4 liters of water per day.

Feels full of shit that quiz. Like the first one, I am already stiff like iron bar, goddammit. And only 22. Or 43. I don't feed birds in summer, but in winter, I'll happily put some seeds in bird feeder. Or part 22. Fuck, there's already full of shit in TV. I just look backside of the paper to see if there's anything interesting coming up. Usually ends in "Nope, nothing interesting" - phrase.

'Sides, we will wither away, one day or another. Why bother to answer these questions, when the inevitable is coming, in few decades?

1. Feeling stiff: No
  2. Groaning when you bend down: No
  3. Saying “it wasn’t like that when I was young”: I am young ye whippersnappers!
  4. Saying “in my day”: My day is that day in 1999 when I played Doom.
  5. Losing hair: God no
  6. You don’t know any songs in the top ten: Actually this is true because I don't follow shit music
  7. Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc: My face is getting more hairy than it being clean shaven (due to puberty and stuff) if that's what you mean
  8. Hating noisy pubs: Haha, people think I leave the house
  9. Talking a lot about joints / ailments: No
  10. Forgetting people’s names: Haha, people think I go out and meet people
  11. Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style: I wore my pajamas all day because I didn't have any trousers in my drawers so yes I suppose
  12. Thinking policemen / teachers / doctors look really young: If they're under 30 and 150lbs, initiate horny teenager mode
  13. Falling asleep in front of the TV: My TV is next to my computer so no
  14. Needing an afternoon nap: If you mean that hour at the start of the afternoon that I'm still asleep, yes
  15. Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about : Again, I find it funny people think I go out and meet people
  16. Struggling to use technology: What do you think?
  17. Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and televisions: My TV is a 3 year old 19 inch 720p Philips that has Freeview on it and I don't use tablets so I suppose yes
  18. When you start complaining about more things: Teenagers are moody cunts so I complain about everything
  19. Wearing your glasses around your neck: I don't have glasses, my eyes are fine. Seriously! Everything is blurry because I'm tired ok.
  20. Not remembering the name of any modern bands: Ha, as if "band" is still an actual term for those people
  21. You avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns: Haha, people think I lift things
  22. Complaining about the rubbish on television these days: I watch literally only comedies, so I don't get to complain about Scrubs, that show about the numbers and a tree on a hill (I kid of course, I do like Scrubs)
  23. Misplacing your glasses / bag / keys etc: I have my schoolbag somewhere on the floor in my room, my keys are on my desk under a bunch of shit and I don't have glasses
  24. You move from Radio one to Radio Two: Who listens to radio?
  25. You start driving very slowly: I can't drive yet
  26. Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town: Haha, people think I have friends to play board games with
  27. Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show: God no
  28. You talk to colleagues who are so young they don’t know what an Opal Fruit is: I only applied for that job at WH Smith, I haven't been accepted yet
  29. Taking slippers to friends’ houses: I wear socks
  30. Listening to the Archers: Who?
  31. Falling asleep after one glass of wine: I've only ever had one pint of alcoholic ginger beer in one night so no
  32. Never going out without your coat: As if I go outside
  33. Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful: Does buying socks with Christmas money count?
  34. When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more: I'm not old enough to be fat yet
  35. Gasping for a cup of tea: I have an energy drink addiction, not horrible tea
  36. Taking a flask of tea or coffee on a day out: No
  37. Joining the WI: What's that?
  38. Taking a keen interest in the garden: I haven't been outside in my garden for about 3 years
  39. Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products: No
  40. Spending money on the home / furniture rather than a night on the town: My chair was my sister's and my desk is from my cousin so ha. Plus I have no money so not ha.
  41. Taking a keen interest in dressing for the weather: Normal day = t-shirt and jeans, Rainy day = coat, t-shirt and jeans. Yes.
  42. Putting everyday items in the wrong place: I have OCD about tidiness, which is ironic because my room is a shithole. I have clothes outside my wardrobe and games all over my floor.
  43. Obsessive gardening or bird feeding: If you mean throwing napalm at the soil and feeding birds arsenic, yes.
  44. Really enjoying puzzles and crosswords: Does Portal 2 count?
  45. Always driving in the slow lane, or below 70 in the middle lane: Again, I can't drive
  46. Consider going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday: I don't have children (I think)
  47. Your ears are getting bigger: is this even medically correct?
  48. Joining the National Trust: My parents joined me up as a child then left when I told them it was boring going around the same few places every year
  49. Drinking sherry: No
  50. Feeling you have the right to tell people exactly what you are thinking even if it isn’t polite: I don't talk to people in general so no
I SCORED A WHOPPING: 4 if you only count the ones I was serious about

Maes said:

We need a "51. You play a 20 years old video game" point, but I guess this might fall in 3. and 4. too.

Dammit, 5.

Eris Falling said:

Funnily enough, I'm 16 and scored 6.
And yes, it is ;)

I'm 16 and I scored 8. Now tell me if you think I'm being sarcastic.

Guilty as charged:
01: Yes. Being away from physical exercise does make me stiff when I stay in for extended periods of time.
06: Which country? Nothing in the western hemisphere for me.
08: Pubs?
15: I play Doom, people. I do believe I can handle myself pretty well for my age, and I choose not to associate with many people.
18: When are we NOT complaining? yer grammer suks
20: I don't listen to "bands," but rather to "circles."
22: I don't have television service. and I don't watch any shows on the internet.
34: Puberty stretched me out vertically. 30 pounds in two years...close enough?

This bumps my score up to 9.

Snakes said:

1. Feeling stiff: Yes

Heh heh... boioioioioioioing.

*spits tea on laptop*
Curse you, Snakes!

How many of the 50 signs of getting old apply to you?
1. Feeling stiff- no
2. Groaning when you bend down - no
3. Saying “it wasn’t like that when I was young” - yes
4. Saying “in my day” - yes
5. Losing hair -no
6. You don’t know any songs in the top ten –Never really cared
7. Getting more hairy – ears, eyebrows, nose, face etc - yes
8. Hating noisy pubs –Always did
9. Talking a lot about joints / ailments – Feeling like I’m getting arthritis in my right hand. Granted I’m on a PC most of the time.
10. Forgetting people’s names – was never good with names.
11. Choosing clothes and shoes for comfort rather than style- Yes
12. Thinking policemen / teachers / doctors look really young- not really
13. Falling asleep in front of the TV – always did
14. Needing an afternoon nap -no
15. Finding you have no idea what young people are talking about – Not really
16. Struggling to use technology -No
17. Losing touch with everyday technology such as tablets and televisions -No
18. When you start complaining about more things - no
19. Wearing your glasses around your neck -no
20. Not remembering the name of any modern bands – They mostly suck anyway.
21. You avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns -no
22. Complaining about the rubbish on television these days –always did.
23. Misplacing your glasses / bag / keys etc –Happened when I was younger too.
24. You move from Radio one to Radio Two – Usually listen to my ipod, but generally have it on 104.3 FM
25. You start driving very slowly – No, you can’t around here.
26. Preferring a night in with a board game than a night on the town –Mostly because I want to save money.
27. Taking a keen interest in The Antiques Road Show - No
28. You talk to colleagues who are so young they don’t know what an Opal Fruit is – Huh? Yes.
29. Taking slippers to friends’ houses -No
30. Listening to the Archers - No?
31. Falling asleep after one glass of wine –maybe after 4 or 5 of them.
32. Never going out without your coat – That’s just dumb if you don’t.
33. Getting bed socks for Christmas and being very grateful – That gift sucks at any age.
34. When you can’t lose six pounds in two days any more – I have a super-fast metabolism.
35. Gasping for a cup of tea – Tea is good, I like coffee better though.
36. Taking a flask of tea or coffee on a day out – Sometimes, if I’m rushing to get to work.
37. Joining the WI- IDK what that is, so no.
38. Taking a keen interest in the garden- I’ve always wanted to raise my own garden.
39. Spending more money on face creams / anti-ageing products –No
40. Spending money on the home / furniture rather than a night on the town- I’ve always been balanced.
41. Taking a keen interest in dressing for the weather- Again, if you don’t, you’re just dumb.
42. Putting everyday items in the wrong place- maybe by mistake, I’m sure I’ve done then when I was younger.
43. Obsessive gardening or bird feeding- not really, but I have an interest in gardening.
44. Really enjoying puzzles and crosswords- I always liked puzzles, I have built three Puzz3D puzzles when I was younger.
45. Always driving in the slow lane, or below 70 in the middle lane- No, 75-90 mph is my average on the turnpike. Pigs be damned.
46. Consider going on a ‘no children’ cruise for a holiday – I don’t have children yet.
47. Your ears are getting bigger – Not that I have noticed.
48. Joining the National Trust- I’m American, this question doesn’t apply.
49. Drinking sherry- No
50. Feeling you have the right to tell people exactly what you are thinking even if it isn’t polite – Only if they really piss me off.

I turned 28 in June.

I don't need some dumb quiz to tell me I have white hair growing in around my temples.

It seems to be a common thing in this thread, so for future reference, WI is Women's Institutes. Most of them are at least 100.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Institutes]THESE AREN'T THE WORKING FORUM CODES YOU'RE LOOKING FOR![/url]