Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HumanBones

Ralph Vickers' Urban Brawl Soundtrack Released

Ralph Vickers, aka Ralphis, has released the official soundtrack of the 2008 indie game Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl for digital download. The soundtrack is available for $5 through Bandcamp and through the music section of his personal website.

TimeOfDeath said:

I can tell from reading the thread back then and this one now that you seem angry about it being posted at all. It was in a different place back then and the torrent is no longer active either. Not sure why this upsets you so much, but I'm really sorry.

It's been reposted as a part of my new site and I figured some people might want to grab it. I charged a few bucks because it took me a decent amount of time to go through a bunch of old source files in order to put it together at a higher quality than the files released years ago.

Not sure why this upsets you so much, but I'm really sorry.

Can't speak for TOD, but a soundtrack for a mod just doesn't seem like news material.

Add to that the first time around you were the one posting about it, plugging your website at the same time. That's just poor taste. You don't report on yourself, and you certainly don't talk about yourself in third person if you do.

Now you're selling it, so this second news post is essentially an ad.

TimeOfDeath posts an innocuous comment, just about the only trace of possible annoyance you could derive from what he said would be the "yeah"... Highly debatable at best, but you immediately assume he's "upset" and "angry".

Personally, I have nothing against this. If anything, it'd be great to see people in the community rewarded for their efforts. Still, considering all of the above it's not hard to see how you can come across as very arrogant. Perhaps even moreso because it doesn't seem out of character, some of your posts bragging about your own importance as a Doom player or port developer are so over the top it's hard to tell if you're joking or not.

Love your music by the way, but man, if you're not purposefully trying to rub people the wrong way, you're going the wrong way about it.

Phml said:

Can't speak for TOD, but a soundtrack for a mod just doesn't seem like news material.

Add to that the first time around you were the one posting about it, plugging your website at the same time. That's just poor taste. You don't report on yourself, and you certainly don't talk about yourself in third person if you do.

Most Doomworld news posts do this. It was originally discouraged, but it's been allowed for a long time now. I don't think it's been abused for spammy purposes, it's just gotten more news posted on the site at a time when the front page is practically on life support.

A few years back, before Doomworld allowed users to submit news themselves directly through the forum, self-plugging was probably even more frequent in the news that'd get sent in to the admins. (Ismael's review site, various project websites, etc.)

Ralphis said:

I charged a few bucks because it took me a decent amount of time to go through a bunch of old source files in order to put it together at a higher quality than the files released years ago.

Also, free downloads at Bandcamp have a quota and once it's reached they can never be downloaded again (except for the low-quality streams).

Phml, I released this soundtrack some days ago and didn't even submit this news post bro. I posted it in an IRC channel and someone (HumanBones) decided to post it here as news on their own.

Also FYI, Urban Brawl was released as a stand-alone game that simply used the ZDoom engine. There were even physical copies sold. It's even regarded as an IWAD in ZDoom as far as I know. You may minimize that team's efforts by calling it a "mod", but I consider it a stand-alone independently developed game that I'm proud to have had an opportunity to be a part of.

As far as my release of the album as it pertains to Doomworld: I didn't submit this news post, it's certainly not an "ad", and you're free to not buy it or even look at it for any number of reasons that you choose. I don't think what I've done is much different from what Aubrey Hodges also decided to do with his own music (except that mine is a "mod" soundtrack). I am very fortunate and thankful that someone thought it was even worth the time to post here and also very fortunate to see that some thought/think it was/is worth the purchase.

Regarding the old news post from 09 that I self submitted, that is how many individuals were instructed to submit their news (because the people reading the front page probably don't want to read news in the first person because it looks dumb).

Almost all community related news posted on Doomworld comes from the people responsible for the news item or someone else close to the news source. Before all of the multiplayer stuff started hitting the front page, you were lucky to get more than 2-3 news articles per week (because nobody reports anything about stuff they're not involved in generally). Not sure how I came off as arrogant in this thread at all, but that's Doom baby!

Gez said:

Also, free downloads at Bandcamp have a quota and once it's reached they can never be downloaded again (except for the low-quality streams).

True, which is a bummer. They also try to charge you once you get around that quota afaik!

Phml said:

wtf, are you new around here or something? that's so much bullshit. go preach somewhere else, haha.

Nah, I'm not angry, Creaphis's's post reminded me that it was posted before. I made that comment in the old thread because I was confused about why it was posted in the News section (instead of somewhere else like the other musicians do). I haven't actually played AD2 or heard the music yet, so I have nothing against it.

Gez said:

Also, free downloads at Bandcamp have a quota and once it's reached they can never be downloaded again (except for the low-quality streams).[/b]

Ralphis said:

True, which is a bummer. They also try to charge you once you get around that quota afaik!

Artists get 200 download credits per month for fans who download their songs or albums for free (downloading a full album or a single song both take away 1 credit). If an artist goes through 200 credits before the end of the month, the free albums or songs cost money to download (artists can also buy more credits if they want).

heh. I understand, bandwidth and all that. But it almost seems funny that an artist has to pay to give their stuff away for free

Yeah it is funny. :)
Apparently they didn't used to have credits at all, but so many people were using the site to give away music or something like that, so they put a limit on it.

Yeah, they do that because they don't want to be taken for a music-focused Rapidshare or Mediafire. (And possibly to cut down on piracy.)