Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SavageCorona

[SOLVED] Best Doom source port to play Strife on?

I bought Strife recently, and I played it through Zandronum. It works fine apart from the voices don't play, which forces me to use the console to read Blackbird's messages. It's fine with everyone else but it sort of breaks the immersion and I'd like it back. So what's the best source port to play it on? I'd prefer something similar to Zandronum or GZDoom (Which also doesn't have voices), since I like the OpenGL engine over the Vanilla engine because it's just better in general, as well as in overall performance, since I get 60fps on OpenGL but something that doesn't feel like 60fps on software.

You must have found one hell of a good deal to find that. I keep looking for the big box edition but I can't find it (again) I missed a chance to get it due to lack of money at the time. There's sv_strife by Kaiser but I don't think that's Open GL. Your best bet for Open GL would be GZDoom and I think you need voices.wad to play back the voices (I think). I'm pretty certain that is necessary for the voices to be played because every time I have played Strife with just the IWAD in a port; it doesn't play the voices. Speaking of Strife; I need to resume mapping for that.

I just looked on eBay, I wasn't looking for a specific version of it. I just got a small CD case that comes in the big box but without the big box, put it in my drive and ran the setup through DOSBox.

Can I get a download link to that? There doesn't seem to be one on that page.

Nevermind it's in my Strife directory.

I think it should be included in the package. Mine came with it in a separate wad file. It would also probably be considered warez if I was to offer a link. Fuck, I was ninja'd with a sneaky edit. Glad to see you found it.

Definitely not Chocolate Strife. Trust me I know the guy who wrote it and he's a TOTAL wackjob.

Quasar said:

Definitely not Chocolate Strife. Trust me I know the guy who wrote it and he's a TOTAL wackjob.

Speaking of which, are there any major issues left with that implementation?

exp(x) said:

Speaking of which, are there any major issues left with that implementation?

Only three things of which I'm aware: support for the -random command line parameter, keys display needs to become frags during multiplayer, and, you need to be able to change your "name" during a netgame.

The code for all three of these things was really screwed over hard by Watcom. Last time I tried to enable the name changing code, it just made choco doom crash constantly. <:P