Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Concerned - Doom Megawad - Now on Idgames

This part was already even with the floor. I probably pressed the green button before I could see that face, that spoiled this secret.

Mr. Chris said:

Okay, I got a few videos up so far..

Awesome videos, Mr. Chris. Looks like cannonball put some fairly significant changes into E1 since CBSpeed. I look forward to replaying it.

Checked out the levels. Despite the title of the wad I had very few "concerns" about it. I really liked the classic style design and gameplay. E3M7 was a nice tribute to 2002ADO and was a piece of cake for me to navigate through :D. Very nice, original maps and I was impressed with them all.

Only concern was some of the music, we hear it all the time.

Due to its specific writing style, I wonder about the relation between ConC.E.R.N.ed and the LHC. Pessimists were afraid that the LHC could provoke tiny black holes; easily I could imagine that other pessimists could be afraid of tearing open an access to a parallel universe we'd call Hell. Yet, the levels don't appear very related to installations in the CERN.

Played through the first episode, noticed the exponential increase in time where I was firing a rocket launcher at a Baron from a safe distance and decided not to carry on >:3 But I could definitely tell you were improving as you went!

@ cannonball:

Get a decent webspace, please. SpeedyShare starts to annoy with the message

This file can only be downloaded with SpeedyShare Premium. Get Premium Now!

and offering download passwords for premium SMS rates.

If you don't have webspace included in your ISP's contract, try MediaFire, this appears to be a fair file hoster with not too much advertizing.
__

Well, it is available on idgames too, I missed that second link.

I watched Pavera's playthrough, and the changes wrought to E1 look marvelous, except maybe there's too many Barons. I will definitely nominate this for the DWMC's next "new wad" month.

Just played the first episode today. It was pretty good, was a bit surprised about the cyberdemons there. I got almost up to 150% green armor before I found a blue armor. Maybe there could have been more barons in E1M8, was a bit easy for a boss level.

Maybe tomorrow the next episode..

Some pretty solid looking shots here, Cannonball. I'm usually pretty mum on Doom wads (I've always found the gameplay relatively monotnous), but I think I'll give this a whirl.

I've entered E2 now and the map design is beginning to get much better. The first episode was solid, but E2M2 really felt like a step in the right direction. There are some clever traps here 'n there and the secrets tend to be a bit more varied than one finds in most wads (mine own included).

I will say one bug that I've ran into though, and it's a bug that has plagued a few recent plays of mine (High/Low 5 included): FIRELAV2 is used in place of FIRELAVA consistently throughout the wad. This means that the textures don't animate properly (at least in PrBoom+) and the desired appearance doesn't click as a result. This is actually the reason why I try to remember to type out texture names in full if I have them memorized... It happened a ton in my earlier maps until I think hawkwind pointed it out to me.

Other than though, this some good Doom fun, which isn't something I say very often about wads for UD.

Snakes said:

I will say one bug that I've ran into though, and it's a bug that has plagued a few recent plays of mine (High/Low 5 included): FIRELAV2 is used in place of FIRELAVA consistently throughout the wad. This means that the textures don't animate properly (at least in PrBoom+) and the desired appearance doesn't click as a result. This is actually the reason why I try to remember to type out texture names in full if I have them memorized... It happened a ton in my earlier maps until I think hawkwind pointed it out to me.

That's interesting, never really noticed that myself. But I will definitely keep that in mind when making new maps in the future.

Also thanks to everyone for their comments, streams and videos of this wad. I've enjoyed watching them and absorbing your comments (good and bad) and hey I'm still not the most experience in mapping and as an evil shopping corporation once said, "every little helps"

After I had helped a bit with playtesting the initial release, I finally found some time to beat the complete pack. And well, what can I say, it's more of the same - and with that, I mean more of the same excellent gameplay, leveldesign and atmosphere, of course. :)

It is rare enough to see anyone still creating episodes for Doom 1 due to its limited monster park, but cannonball knows how to bypass it: By slaughtering hordes of the demons you usually laugh at when thinking of Revenant or Mancubus massacres. Especially the later levels of the 2nd and 3rd episode are a festival for any BFG fanatic out there.

My favorite levels are E2M7 ("The Core") and E3M8 ("Fortress of Tyrants"), not only because of their incredible complexity, but also due to the non-stop action that is going on there. Over 500 enemies even on ITYTD in E3M8 cannot lie... the battle taking place on the huge lava lake is nothing else than highly enjoyable, especially since it remains managable at all times, both ammo- and radiation suit-wise. Prepare to encounter lots of Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds, and not only in the final levels. ;)

If there is anything to criticize, then maybe the typos on the episode ending screens. Other than that, this is an excellent proof that Doom 1 megawads are still possible and worth making. This little wad will stay in my permanent collection for replaying purposes.

Thanks to cannonball for several entertaining playing hours neither I nor anyone else should ever regret!

I'm now confused. The last month or two I've tried to get back into Doom (can't make maps for a game I'm not interested in, after all) but have consistently found most of what the community has to offer to be dull, uninspired and seemingly about style over substance. I'm not enjoying actually playing the game and am chalking up plans for a retirement.

I then fire up this oldschool megaWAD and play the whole first episode... Updated E1-style visuals; fairly orthogonal map layouts... And I'm loving it! I don't know if it's the welcome relief from pure SSG game play, the different balance that comes with having to use just Doom resources in general or perhaps the relatively quick and small maps that harken back to the arcade-y goodness that first got me into this game, but Concerned is a whole pile of fun. Good job cannonball, I look forwards to getting into the other two episodes!

LingtheDoomGuy said:

Does this WAD require a specific -complevel when playing under PrBoom? Like -complevel 3 or -complevel 9?

complevel 3, though if you are playing casually it doesn't really matter :)