Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Breaking Bad [UPDATE: Series Finale **SPOILERS**]

In light of the final season of Breaking Bad about to kick off, here is a pertinent breaking news story:

Watered down version of the story: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57597867/mexico-overturns-drug-lords-conviction-releases-him-from-prison/

More truthful representation of the facts:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/mexico-releases-drug-lord-after-28-years-in-prison-for-killing-us-agent/article13701299/

Infamous drug lord Rafael Caro Quintero walked free Friday after 28 years in prison when a court overturned his 40-year sentence for the 1985 kidnapping and killing of a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agent, a brutal murder that marked a low point in U.S.-Mexico relations.

The U.S. Department of Justice said Friday it was extremely disappointed by the release of the man convicted in the killing of DEA agent Enrique Camarena, calling it “deeply troubling.”

[edit by mod: copying and pasting an entire article is copyright infringement]

I'm waiting for Sunday plus another seven weeks. The internet has spoiled me and I'm not patient enough for appointment television anymore. I'm planning to consume the rest of the season in one delicious binge.

At long last, the question of WTF is he doing with a New Hampshire DL will be answered.

AndrewB said:

I started watching the show in June and finished in July so this is timely.

Damn, you're lucky. I hate that I waited a year after watching 5 seasons also in the timespan of a month last summer. I forget so much because I have such a lousy memory. But it is going to be exceedingly interesting to see how Hank deals with Heisenberg. Not sure if we should turn this into a speculation thread... but maybe? I just hope they do a somewhat predictable/expected/traditional shake out when the shit hits the fan, and don't some sort of "surprise"/unexpected/original resolution, because I think that will sell short one of the greatest build ups a show like this has ever enjoyed (of course I never saw The Sopranos, but my feeling is this show is as good if not better?) That build up of course is how Hank, his wife, Walt and his family have been so carefully and richly drawn, and how they will each deal with the inevitability that will be the show's climax. I want to see some over the top angry, histrionic, hysterical outbursts and meltdowns (I'm thinking specifically about the wives of Hank and Walt) when the poop done hit dem rotating fan blades.

EDIT: Btw, I think it is completely laughable that some people are actually considering that Walt was serious when he said to Skylar

Spoiler

I'm finished cooking--I'm out of the business"

Really? There are people that actually think this wasn't a straight up lie purely to get his wife back? Unreal. I just don't see how anyone could even have the thought that he was telling the truth, let alone actually give it even a moment's consideration. It's truly amazing to me that episode recaps online and in magazines etc are suggesting that
Spoiler

walt is done with meth.

Simply amazing. People. Seriously. No. Come on.

Also, how does Walter White go from Half Life to Breaking Bad?

BEYOND psyched is how to describe this one's condition. It's going downhill and I don't care if they jump the shark, just let the onslaught of depravity begin. The first 3 seasons were brilliant in a creative sense. The whole show has gorgeous camera work and lots of oddball symbolism.

Dramas with soft-spoken antiheros are great. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, the Sopranos, among others.

There is an antihero working to justify crimes in the name of helping the family. The antiheroes place importance on learning to control business associates and become the best criminals which gives pride. The eventual amount of emotional distance between antihero and family could fill a gulf. The writers have a way of introducing humor into the dark moments too.

wow, my friend is a real gem. He canceled his cable service yesterday. Good timing, guy. Good timing....

Btw, does anyone know if this episode is 1 hour or 2 hours long?

Hellbent said:

I've never seen The Sopranos. How does it compare Breaking Bad?

Pretty much the same formula. "Bad" guy lead character does horrible things, but he does it "for his family", causing the viewer to relate and actually start "rooting" for the character.

Family sustains its lifestyle through lead character's illegal activities, and there's a well-understood but unspoken "look the other way" arrangement.

The main difference IMO is that Breaking Bad's character is always trying to escape from some situation, whereas The Soprano's character knows there is no escape. The former is trying to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. The latter is just trying to figure out his purpose in life, while living each day to the fullest.

Breaking Bad largely revolves around one main plot, while The Sopranos has sub-plots coming out of its butt.

As for the quality of the shows, The Sopranos is better by 1 or 2 tiers, both in production quality and acting. However, The Sopranos is far more complex. It's easy to miss a line or two of dialogue, and as a result, be completely confused as to what's happening a few minutes or a couple of episodes later. The show demands A LOT of attention, whereas Breaking Bad is very forgiving in this department. As a result, more casual viewers who like Breaking Bad might not like The Sopranos.

All in all, Sopranos is better, and a lot more rewarding to watch, but watching it is a higher "degree of difficulty".

Hellbent said:

Btw, does anyone know if this episode is 1 hour or 2 hours long?

BB season premiere? 1 hour. That I can say is a fact.

For those whose memories are fuzzy like mine, here is the scene Hank is remembering back on when he's sitting on the john in the final scene of the last episode:

As you'll remember,
Spoiler

Gale Boetticher is the chemist who was dealt with by ... shoot, was it Jesse or Walt? I feel like it was Jesse.

Bucket said:

Yes, Walt sent Jesse after Gale so Gus would need them.

Oh, right, thanks.

And the Emmy goes to...

Dean Norris!

ehh.. am I the only one who loved the final scene?

Hellbent said:

ehh.. am I the only one who loved the final scene?

Nope.

Holy crap that episode went by fast. I thought I was less than halfway in, but nope, 5 minutes remained.

AndrewB said:

Nope.

Holy crap that episode went by fast. I thought I was less than halfway in, but nope, 5 minutes remained.

I know, it really did--felt like 25 minutes. Can't wait to rewatch the final scene.

Yeah, I can't believe how fast the episodes go by. Finally got my friend to start watching from the beginning tonight.

This episode actually felt like a full hour for a change.

Not that it was anything less than as awesome as ever, though. The show is just accelerating in quality, seemingly right to the end.

Most TV shows bore me these days, but this show seems to be the exception. I must admit that I haven't watched it from the start, but thankfully I can hijack my Mom's Netflix to get completely caught up :)