Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

First-try Demo Contest #11

What is FDC: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/56004-first-try-demo-contest-7/

This time map is made by c4tnt and me, tested by BND. There will be only one map. It's done for Doom 2 Limit-removing, but uses some new sprites and dehacked, so there may be some problems on running wad on clear doom2+ I suppose.
There will be a special site for uploading demos. When contest start I'll post a link.

The date is August 31 at 15:00 UTC.

Neat, I actually opened up the demos forum at the right time for once. That's 9 or 10 am in CST (with DST) so I'm up for it.

Archi is worried about the lack of responses: does that mean that nobody is interested or people just don't have anything interesting to say so they are waiting silently for the event?
Please tell us if you plan to participate so that Archi can sleep again. :)

I'd like to join in, though there's always a good chance real life will get in the way. Picked a date yet?

Not yet. For now nobody of those, who signed, said the specific date, so I was waiting for people to say which day is better/worse for them.

Creaphis said:

Try submitting this as a news item. If multiplayer events are newsworthy then this is too.

Good idea, but I think Memfis can handle this better than me.

Ok done, hopefully it will be accepted and we'll get more people interested. :) Thanks for a good idea Creaphis!

This time we want to try something new. You can now choose to play on either skill 3 (Hurt me Plenty) or skill 4 (Ultra Violence). These are two separate categories. HMP is recommended for people who aren't very familiar with the whole "first-try demo" concept or feel like they aren't skilled enough to compete with the top players. UV is recommended for more experienced doomers.

Main rules:
- Use prboom-plus with -complevel 2 parameter for recording. Bat file with the correct command line will be provided along with the wad for your convenience.
- If you die, simply press "use" to restart. Do not close the game to start recording a new demo.
- Your result is a total time of all your attempts, not your exit time.

Also note that the level is optimized for software mode. In OpenGL you might encounter some graphic glitches so it is not recommended to use it.

Memfis said:

waiting silently for the event?

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

I will join in the contest.
You can't attach a demo in PM.

No need for PM's anymore. There will be special site for uploading demos, almost like the one that was at FDC#7. I'll give a link later.

jesus christ i completely forgot about this, how much time left?
not playing doom for a month now lol
edit: k utc so np

I'm out I'm afrad, sorry about that
1) I'm actually going out around the time this starts
2) my laptop is screwed and I can't play doom without my laptop overheating after 10 minutes so disqualification will be the likely outcome for me. I will play the map later after this has finished to see what I could have faced :)
Good luck guys and gals.

You have to start playing as soon as the password is revealed and send the demo immediately after you finish. This is needed to make sure that people really play for the first time, that they don't study the map in the editor, etc. Ideally you shouldn't spend more than 4-5 minutes on all file operations, or else your delay might cause suspicion.

If you can't make it in time, you're very welcome to send the demo anyway. It won't be included in the "official" results but it will still be interesting to see it!

i use "-iwad doom2 -file fueldevr -skill 4 -warp 01 -record Plut -complevel 2"

Plut said:

i use "-iwad doom2 -file fueldevr -skill 4 -warp 01 -record Plut -complevel 2"

sounds perfect

okay I just hope to remember how to play :D

Hey the HMP bat says -skill 4!

I'm not participating by the way. I'm just saying so people are warned.

ugh
if there is really an error in the bat, fix it by yourself! Sorry for inconvenience...