Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doom miniatures are back.

Spikey said:

Do you think that's it or that they will make another lot?

Good question. For all I know they're waiting to see how many people register to be notified of new stock before deciding what to do.

Am I the first to notice the Cacodemon plushie?

Waffenak said:

Now there is also pain elemental plushie? What next, cyberdemon rocketlauncher cocktail shaker?

Yes please

VERY, VERY happy to see they modified the bottom of the new Reaper minis to say Bethesda and 2013. Makes me not care about them, and definitely keeps the original Reapers at the value they already were.

It would be like reprinting the Honus Wagner card and labeling it 2013 Top Deck. :-)

Congrats to all that got them before they sold out, $200 for a complete set is a great deal, even if its not the original.

Cheers,

Dusty

Technician said:

Maybe not.

Time will tell, but I'm confident. True Doom collectors will value the 1996 id Software pieces over the 2013 Bethesda. People that just want to look at the figures won't care, but those are the same people that would never have paid $100+ for 1 loose figure in the first place. Those that pay want the real deal, the original, not a knock-off.

My miniatures were delivered this morning (I'm in New Zealand):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101471961@N02/

Overall I'm pretty happy with them. The so-called collectors box was a disappointment however. The plastic casing is decent enough, relatively sturdy and gives a satisfying *snap* when clasped shut. The graphic on the front is a poorly-positioned sticker that looks inkjet quality at best. The logo is low resolution with visible pixellation, and the bottom portion of the logo has been cropped off(!)

When I opened the case for the first time, half of the figures were all strewn about haphazardly. The foam packaging is just a generic foam grid with no painstakingly customised imprints for the indivudual characters like I was expecting. The way the id Anthology was presented was far superior. The crudeness of the whole package is, in my mind, demonstrated by the very last-minute cutting/ripping of certain sections of the grid so as to accommodate the larger characters such as the Cyberdemon, Arachnatron, and Arch Vile. The other section of foam packaging is a duplicate of the front, just flipped around. The edges of the foam have been cut with scissors to fit in the box, with some parts looking practically torn.

Storing the characters in the box after presentation is a little nerve wracking, as there really is no good place for some of the miniatures to fit well.

The miniatures themselves look good. I was most impressed by the Demon, and the level of detail on the smaller figures is much better than I was expecting. The head of the Arachnotron however looks a bit squashed to me, in comparison to better examples I've seen on the net. The Cyberdemon's gun is also a bit skewed. There does seem to be some natural variation in the manufacture of the pewters though - I already own a few different figures outside the set where I've noticed some inconsistencies in the settings.

Dusty said:

Time will tell, but I'm confident. True Doom collectors will value the 1996 id Software pieces over the 2013 Bethesda. People that just want to look at the figures won't care, but those are the same people that would never have paid $100+ for 1 loose figure in the first place. Those that pay want the real deal, the original, not a knock-off.

I still thought the 200 dollar pricetag on the new set was a bit high, even though I still wanted to buy a set.

It's obvious Bethesda is trying to make money on every single thing they can from id software.

Trilinear said:

My miniatures were delivered this morning (I'm in New Zealand):

The foam packaging is just a generic foam grid with no painstakingly customised imprints for the indivudual characters like I was expecting.

I'm just across the Tasman, so my set mightn't be far away. Terrible looking packaging.

I'd suggest you register to be notified when they've new stock, the more people do that the sooner it's likely happen.

I really want my own set of these, but if they do come back in stock, I dont know if I can justify over $200 for these.

GreyGhost said:

I'd suggest you register to be notified when they've new stock, the more people do that the sooner it's likely happen.

Will do. Though whether I can afford it is another question.

You could order them this morning (UTC), Bethesda sent the notice. Maybe they were all grabbed.

Probably producing them in small batches and have underestimated the level of demand.

Mine arrived this morning, and I'm considering moving to New Zealand to take advantage of their faster postal service.

Trilinear said:

The graphic on the front is a poorly-positioned sticker that looks inkjet quality at best. The logo is low resolution with visible pixellation, and the bottom portion of the logo has been cropped off(!)

Too right about being poorly positioned, mine has an ugly crease just left of centre. It's also lifting around the edges. Maybe we should start a community mini-project to design replacements.

When I opened the case for the first time, half of the figures were all strewn about haphazardly. The foam packaging is just a generic foam grid with no painstakingly customised imprints for the indivudual characters like I was expecting.

Same here. It has at least done a decent job of keeping the miniatures from been thrown about in transit, but there's room for improvement.

The miniatures themselves look good. The head of the Arachnotron however looks a bit squashed to me, in comparison to better examples I've seen on the net. The Cyberdemon's gun is also a bit skewed. There does seem to be some natural variation in the manufacture of the pewters though

The arachnotron's flattened head doesn't look like natural variation to me, its hands also appear to have been re-modeled and probably now have too many fingers. I think I've yet to encounter a cyber with a gun that isn't slightly askew. The revenant's stance is a bit too upright for my liking, almost looks like he's disco dancing instead of running. I also noticed the sculptor's names have disappeared.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, but there's a few things they could have done better.

Happy that I managed to get my order in this morning before they went out of stock again. It certainly didn't take long: last time they were up on sale for several days before they ran out. It makes me wonder if they found a few more left over, or perhaps there were just lots of people waiting to pounce on them as soon as they became available.

That photo Trilinear uploaded looks horrible though. What a clusterfuck of bad design. Could they not even have just made a proper shaped bit of foam?

That sticker and the foam looks terrible, nothing that cost $200 should be that poorly designed.

I picked up a set. They all look almost the exact same as the other releases. They run slightly smaller and come with a more finished look (much like the versions that were released with Doom 3). I like them more than the regular releases because of the polishing.

What's cool is they used the prototype Archnotron mold this time around! Yes, the prototype with the more crushed/lower head that Dusty got from Reaper. That is why the head looks smaller compared to the normal release. I always though the regular version looked more like the Spider Mastermind's head so prefer this "crushed" version. Glad I own both now too.

Good luck for those who missed them! As for the originals holding their value, I don't see that happening. I collect all kinds of things and re-releasing the exact same statue or figure is never a good thing. I am already seeing the values really fall.

It's not much of a life when you're just an ugly face
Just to be whoever you are is no disgrace
Don't be scared if you don't fit in
Look who's in the reject bin!
It's the Arachnotron!
Arachnotron!
Demons like you and me
Arachnotron!
Arachnotron!
Made imperfectly!

--

Anyway, obscure '80s British cultural references aside, now I need to see if I can soak this little guy in acetone to dissolve the glue, and then see if I can put his legs back on properly. Not very impressed.

Very disappointing, especially given the price tag. Grounds for a complaint possibly, so that they hopefully get the message for future runs.

It does kind of look like he's walking though ;)

Look like you got the runt of the litter, and for some reason it reminds me of Cartman from South Park. You will respect my authoritah!

Gruson said:

As for the originals holding their value, I don't see that happening. I collect all kinds of things and re-releasing the exact same statue or figure is never a good thing. I am already seeing the values really fall.

Normal market fluctuation combined with a temporary dip in demand since lots of people don't care about original vs. re-release. Means nothing long term. Hardcore collectors, meaning the only ones of us willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for 1 figure, are going to want the original pieces that say 1996 id Software, not 2013 Bethesda.

Plus the only comparison is with loose figures vs loose figures. All the figures new on card continue to hold their value and as time goes on become more and more rare in terms of existing on card plus available in the marketplace.

Cheers,

Dusty

Damn...I missed this one. Oh, and this is my first post here. I've been lingering around for a while...thought I'd finally join the party. I've been slowly collecting the Reaper figures for a while now. I remember having a few of them when I was younger but I haven't found them yet. I'm pretty bummed I missed out on the reissue. I emailed Bethesda asking to be put on a waiting list/notified of future releases and received this reply:

Thank you for your DOOM enthusiasm. There were only 100 made so unfortunately, we have no plans to restock that item at this time.

Only 100!? I can't really think of a good reason for them not to produce more. Unless they are some of the people reselling the set on eBay for ~600. Oh well, at least this discovery led me to the Bethesda store where I picked up some goodies. Just thought I'd share my reply from Jay @ Bethesda and say hello