Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

Musicians, what do you compose Doom music with?

I'm a decent amateur musician but I don't really work with MIDI at all. If I wanted to start composing music for Doom engine games, what software should I look at? Preferably something free or very cheap, and not sheet music notation. I use tracker software a lot but my experience has been that it doesn't convert to MIDI files all that well. What do other people here use?

e: Windows or Linux.

If you want free MIDI composing software for Windows, try Anvil Studio. The Linux equivalent is Rosegarden.

I can rarely watch twitch streams unless they're embedded, for some reason. It's been on my list of things to figure out for some time. Cakewalk Express 3 is pretty fitting for composing Doom music though.

I'll check out Anvil and Sekaiju, those look like a promising start. Rosegarden and I did not get along very well when I tried it last, but that was a little while ago.

I'm stuck using an ancient copy of Cubasis from before the time of VST :3 I wouldn't recommend it, though, since if you want to add anything but notes (ie. volume or pitch slides) you have to open a fiddly list editor and input them individually while remembering your twenty-four times table.

edit: since you're a tracker musician already you might be interested in the fact that zDoom can accept .mod, .it, .xm and .s3m lumps.

I love FlStudio. U can do almost everything in it! (Including MIDI).
Guitar Pro is cool too. But most likely you would have to start messing around with tablatures or scores, that's how they work. Once you know the symbols and specially the drum sounds, you're pretty much good to go.

Have fun!

Yakfak: I did know that ZDoom accepts a bajillion music formats, and might make use of that at some point. Still it's nice to be able to create files usable in any port. Also I'm interested in trying pure MIDI music, because you only have to worry about the notes ;)

Doggo120: Tab software is something I hadn't thought of, I do play guitar (and tab notation is really easy anyhow), and I can read sheet music, just slowly. Maybe worth investigating. Thanks!

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
it's old but easy to use and it has everything that you need in order to compose your midis. for the drums you have to set the track's channel to number 10 (dunno why XD).