Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fritz442

Obhack 007.4 Released (Doom Random Map Generator)

Obhack is a random map generator for Doom, Doom2, Heretic and Hexen.

As the current maintainer of Obhack, I will try to answer all questions and comments here on this post.

Download - http://samiam.org/slump/

Added: a 'Higher' setting to lighting.

Adjusted: Lowered light levels in arches, windows, doorways...etc.

Adjusted: All light brightness in skylights and roof openings now
match outdoor light setting.

A few other minor internal adjustments.

GhostlyDeath,
No there is not, they are randomly choosen per map from the themes.
Which you could change if you wanted to in the script files.

"Higher" light setting was just what my old eyes wanted!

Made me a fresh batch of maps.. first ones I looked at are quite nice.

PS. It has the smallest of bugs: it still reports its version as 0.0.7.2

Hi Rez,
I also make most of my maps at the Higher setting too,
but I do like the random room lights, that lets them attack
from a dark room!

Thanks for the bug find, It will be corrected in v7.5

There's nothing quite like finding SIX, yes, count them, SIX archviles in a darkened room! :D

I'm getting a good number of cybes now (I swear they are placed by an evil genius), but I haven't had a big spider in quite a long time...??? tho I've had some of the big open rooms that they need.

I've been curious, how is 007.5 coming along? Anything new to tease us about?

BTW I've gotten a few maps that were not linear, in that there was more than one route to the same place, without jumping off any balconies. And now it's quite good about having multiple paths from the same area, one or two to quests and one the route toward the exit.

Recently I had one quest where after a HUGE battle across half the map, over 400 kills enroute and barely surviving the crossfire from above, I found myself rewarded by... an empty room! This is so perfectly DOOM, I laughed and laughed. :D

Rez: I'm getting a good number of cybes now (I swear they are placed by an evil genius), but I haven't had a big spider in quite a long time...??? tho I've had some of the big open rooms that they need.

Yes the large open rooms hold them, but I have it set to about 50/50 if one is placed there. So they will be random.

Mr. Chris: I've been curious, how is 007.5 coming along? Anything new to tease us about?

It's coming along a little slowly, I've made some more lighting and internal changes, but nothing huge. I'm in the middle of testing some changes I made.

Rez: BTW I've gotten a few maps that were not linear

Yes, I made a change in the last update that seem to make quest paths off of other quest paths, which worked out very nice. This is what I mean when I say 'internal changes'

I've discovered a feature I want: The ability to just set Obhack working and make a bunch of WADs without having to enter a new seed and set it going for each and every WAD it makes (which means it needs my attention every 4 minutes or so).

So if I were to enter a seed, say 0001, it would build a WAD named 0001.wad, then automagically increment the seed and build however many WADs I want at a time. That way when I want another 30 or 40 WADs (yes, I make that many at a time!) I could set it working overnight rather than having to babysit it.

It says a lot for the playability of the output that I use it that much. :D

Rez: I've discovered a feature I want: The ability to just set Obhack working and make a bunch of WADs

Hi Rez, Thanks for the input, I'll look into to something like this when I get a chance.
If you make a full game of 32 maps(Doom2) together will that not work,
or do you need separate maps all level 1?

I always do the 'episode' of 11 maps. (Only time I make just one map is to test a new setting.) For some reason the later maps in 30-map sets tend to not be as good (and in the 11 map episode, map09 and sometimes map10 are nearly always the best ones). Slige was the same way! Might be that after a certain number of iterations, the randomness is no longer so random.

But I don't think that should matter, rather that it should just do batches using the current settings. It would sure be more handy. :)

Oh, I finally got a big spider again! first time for this build out of over 150 maps. I was starting to think they were extinct. :)

For a while I was getting lots of multiple doors -- up to three doors per key and sometimes two doors per switch. Haven't seen that in a while either. I think 7.3 made more of 'em.